If you were to buy a Taylor acoustic

I “only” have a 214ce. It plays so beautifully I’ve never wanted another acoustic.

I know how you feel!! I have an ooold 1 series that I absolutely love! It is very old and worn, but just sounds great! I have tried to upgrade it several times, having tried the more expensive range of Taylor and Martin, even a Gibson Hummingbird but there is something special about my 1 series that sounds beautiful. The only downside is that it has a terrible mic so not great for live.

Last edited:
I played Taylors for years. Had everything from an older 514ce with a Fishman setup to several BTO's. Nothing plays like a Taylor. They sound great for recording and playing at home but on stage I never got along with them. I think the fact that the tops are so thin is part of it. Sounds unbelievably good but it vibrates way too much on a live stage, even when you're not playing anything. As soon as drums and bass start playing it goes crazy. The other thing I never liked is the ES. The first version although not perfect was probably the best (Rupert Neve design preamp). Why did they change it?? The ES2 could be great if they'd admit you need 6 adjustments for balance instead of 3. I mean really, putting the 1st & 2nd strings on the same sensor? I'd balance the 2nd string and the 1st disappears, balance the 1st string and the 2nd is over powering. I've tested several products for them but they stopped listening so I gave up. I now play a Martin OMC-28e with a Baggs Anthem system and never been happier with my plugged in sound on stage. Never ever got a compliment from the crew on my Taylor tone but first gig with the Martin and EVERYBODY was like wow! What a great sounding guitar!

I have a 414ce and sometime in the future would really like a 814. Having said that I would never sell my 414 great sounding guitar the neck never moves the six years that I've had it I've only adjusted the truss rod a handful of times. The intonation is spot-on , great guitar.
But ! As great as my 414 sounds (and it does) anytime I get my hands on a 814 it just makes me weep, what a beautiful sound

I know how you feel!! I have an ooold 1 series that I absolutely love! It is very old and worn, but just sounds great! I have tried to upgrade it several times, having tried the more expensive range of Taylor and Martin, even a Gibson Hummingbird but there is something special about my 1 series that sounds beautiful. The only downside is that it has a terrible mic so not great for live.

I remember trying out the 314ce along side the 214ce and thinking it sounded better, but not $750 better.

FWIW, when I was looking for an upscale acoustic, I did a side by side 814CE vs Martin gpcpa1. I thought the Taylor played a little easier, but the Martin had more depth of tone. In the Taylor's defense, there was only one 814, and 2 Martin's.

But I don't gravitate to that ultra bright that I feel Taylors go for.

If you have the means, and it has to be a Taylor, can't go wrong with that 814.

I’ve had 2, and played 2 others. The 814CE has the best balance of all, including one 914 series guitar I owned for a while. I seriously regretted selling that 814CE, and would buy another if I went Taylor again.

Like a couple others, I have "only" a 214ce, and it sounds and plays excellent. I've looked to upgrade to a 3 or 4 series, but for my uses the 214 works very well, and sounds solid with the right strings.

Say, money is not an issue, and a manageable body size is desired. Cutaway, too, so upper frets are reachable. I just want to close the "acoustic guitar" issue once and for all, as convincingly as possible, and in a way that I would not be able to meaningfully "upgrade" from 3 years down the line. With electrics, I got that with Suhr. There's really no meaningful "upgrade" from Suhr. With acoustics, it seems like Taylor oughtta be able to do it.

K14 Builders Edition. Just bought one for my 50th. Acoustic done!

if you wanted a cool parlor type Guitar to sit on the couch with I would say a GS Mini koa, if you wanted to really easy playing pretty sounding finger-style, I would say an 814 CE, if you want to get it all done and don’t have a budget concern get the K14 builders edition and be done with it.

Last edited:
FWIW, when I was looking for an upscale acoustic, I did a side by side 814CE vs Martin gpcpa1. I thought the Taylor played a little easier, but the Martin had more depth of tone. In the Taylor's defense, there was only one 814, and 2 Martin's.

But I don't gravitate to that ultra bright that I feel Taylors go for.

If you have the means, and it has to be a Taylor, can't go wrong with that 814.

Pretty much agree with this exactly.

If you're set on a Taylor, my vote goes for the 814CE. A few years ago when I was shopping for a really nice acoustic, I was dead set on a 614. I thought I wanted the bright sound from the maple. After trying a couple, it was just too bright. I went for the 814 and I absolutely love mine. I kind of have the itch for an acoustic that has a bit more of that aforementioned depth to it, so I think a Martin GPC is in my future. That aside, the playability of a Taylor is outstanding, and I am quite happy with my 814.

So, OK, 814CE looks good to me. Any model years to prefer/avoid? Or should I just get a new one?

I have a few friends with Taylors that I've played; 614CE, 414CE, 710 and 814CE. I have a Breedlove C25/SMR that I prefer to play over any of them and a couple of my friends have been very surprised how much they liked it. The 710 was 25 years old and did sound better acoustically (dreadnought) but the Breedlove held up to the others quite nicely.

I personally would recommend a higher level, crafted in USA Breedlove.

My top 3-
214ce

While the 300+ have unique sounds and they're their own instruments- the sound I was looking for I found consistently in the 100-200

The lamination had more projection than impact on the tone, and it was just what I was looking for- if I found a 500-800 series that I liked even slightly better I would have paid more and not hesitated. I love the 100-200's. My 110 - is a 110 - no cutaway, no electronics- it makes a difference

BUT- while this isn't an option now- before you spend more than you have to- try everything- and like me- try blindfolded so you don't hear the expensiveness

Back
Top Bottom