If you were to buy a Taylor acoustic

I'm thinking of getting a 614ce. I have a cheap Breedlove acoustic I bought about 12 years ago, which I dread playing because it sounds kind of muffled acoustically. 614 seems like the opposite of that - bright, open tone. I do love the Breedlove neck profile though. Almost as comfortable as a good electric.

I’m in love with my Taylor T-5.
electric like action, acoustic and electric style pickups, active electronics.
Sounds and plays great.
perfect for recording or live.
if you want to just play on a porch, then a bigger bodied Taylor is the way to go

I have a few. My first was the 1993 810 dreadnaught. Still my favorite.
The 2015 814CE is a breeze to play and more comfortable than the 810 but lacks the bottom end the dreadnaught has. I love it.
The GS mini is a great little acoustic for the price. Sounds much bigger than it is.
The Baby Mahogany is a fun little guy for kids to goof around on or to take camping etc.
The Jason Mraz Nylon was a gift and it just doesn't live up to the others. Probably the most expensive of the lot and by far the worst playing and sounding. I never jelled with it at all.

wfkyeKZ.jpg

How often do I say “it depends”. If it was for acoustic on stage, and I didn’t have my AxeFX acoustic simulation, then 414CE. If it were for use at home then something else.

Actually I have that 414CE and a GS for fingerpicking.

I haven’t kept up on the model numbers in forever but I was an early Taylor fanboy. For traditional bluegrass dread it’s 810. For modern performer OM, it’s 914CE. I’d probably skip the expression system and install a nice magnetic pup.

I have a cheaper one and boy does it feedback like a wounded banshee. Sound plug and all and it just vibrates like mad. I'd like to get a nicer one, but I dont play near enough acoustic to warrant it. All of them play great though. I'm sure the more expensive ones with the better electronics are much friendlier.

I had a 414CE that I played the heck out of for 10 years and loved it.
I still have 2 others and really enjoy playing Taylors.
The one I keep close to the couch is the GS Mini Koa.

It would depend on my budget and what body size I wanted.
Say, money is not an issue, and a manageable body size is desired. Cutaway, too, so upper frets are reachable. I just want to close the "acoustic guitar" issue once and for all, as convincingly as possible, and in a way that I would not be able to meaningfully "upgrade" from 3 years down the line. With electrics, I got that with Suhr. There's really no meaningful "upgrade" from Suhr. With acoustics, it seems like Taylor oughtta be able to do it.

Say, money is not an issue, and a manageable body size is desired. Cutaway, too, so upper frets are reachable. I just want to close the "acoustic guitar" issue once and for all, as convincingly as possible, and in a way that I would not be able to meaningfully "upgrade" from 3 years down the line. With electrics, I got that with Suhr. There's really no meaningful "upgrade" from Suhr. With acoustics, it seems like Taylor oughtta be able to do it.

814CE

I own and can highly recommend a 814ce DLX. The forearm contour makes it comfortable to play and it sounds oh so good.
If money is not an issue I’d get the new 914 Builders Edition.

I have a 516 which I love but didn't like the expression system. I have had a "seymour duncan mag mic" fitted to it which is way better methinks

Any high end make can do it. But you may find in 5 years that the taylor sound isnt what you want, and end up changing anyway.

I wouldnt put a "this is the only acoustic i will ever buy" clause on it, because tastes can and do change.

All that said, I would probably look for a used 5 series.

Back
Top Bottom