If you use Adam A7s or other nice monitors, enter

I've been using my Axe through a Duet, Logic, and Adam A7s for about 4 months now. I love how it sounds but I started noticing a speaker buzz/rattle on one of the speakers when I hit lower notes. It's obviously more apparent when using a clean patch.

I asked about this on another forum and someone asked me if I ever experienced feedback through the monitors. And the answer is Yes, actually that's one of my favorite things about the axe fx, being able to get controlled feedback just like a tube amp, but at low volume and in a FRFR environment. But is this damaging the speakers? The A7s weren't cheap and now I'm worried I may have screwed them up. Thoughts about this?

I don't have a specific answer for you, but several years ago I experienced a similar buzzing when running a POD through a full range speaker.

Mine sounded like it was coming from the tweeter, so maybe the speaker's crossover wasn't blocking enough low hz signal to the tweeter??

My speaker wasn't damaged however and I still use them today, but not with the AXE-FX. (Of course the POD is long gone. ;) )

Those A7's are on the lower end of the adams stuff. I don't know the size of that speaker, but you're probably running bottom-heavy on your patches, and they're not made to be cranked super loud like PA or guitar cabs.

No sure about your speakers...but, I have a QSC K12 that I have had the same thing happen on. I know there's nothing wrong w/the K12 (we use them as a PA for my band). So, it appears to be digital clipping (at least in my case). Even thought the AFX Clip does not come on, I believe it happens so quick that the dummy light will not show. So, I have learned to level my patches better to avoid the clipping. One suggestion I found somewhere on the forum was to Bypass the Amp/Cab/Effects and use this as a volume gage to set your patch levels...A/B this until you get the patch set at the same level as bypassed. It appears this has helped me a lot w/avoiding any clipping transients.

This happened to me when changing to the 9.0 firmware on my "Purple Rain" patch. I played at practice through our PA and the G would rattle my teeth. When I moved to 9.03 it corrected itself.

Back
Top Bottom