If you play metal don’t buy the Helix

I've got both units up and running right next to me.

Helix I've got a love/hate relationship with over the years. There's parts of it that I love (design, interface, delay effects, drives, some amps). And others that I don't like (cab block, some effects, some amps). But generally while I can get some clean and breakup tones that I love, especially with effects, I often find myself disliking sounds that I've made (or tried to make) with the Helix. Especially in the higher gain world.

Now this is not a unique phenomenon with the Helix...I will have times where nothing sounds right on a particular device, or in general. I think a lot of that is related to my stress and energy levels. And I notice it with the FM3 as well. But not as often or to the same degree as the Helix.

Generally, I will find the Fractal amps to sound better at default settings than the Helix. It tends to sound a little smoother and more balanced both before and after adjusting the settings. Often I find there's a lack in low end presence (although sometimes the Fractal can have too much low end, especially in high gain amps). And often I find the Helix amps can be harsh or strident in the high end.

This is assuming you have a good aftermarket impulse response, which is critical for the Helix. Again, the cabs are really lacking on the device, especially for medium to high gain. Most of the mics are really dull and muddy sounding with a couple of bright dynamics (like the 57) which have no low end punch or ability to adjust the axis.

It will be interesting to see if there are any further amp modeling revisions in the Helix hardware lifecycle. I think Fractal had a slight edge a few years ago, has a little more of a lead currently, and could create even more separation with Cygnus. Especially in the high gain world.

All that said, the Helix can still be a great tool for a lot of guitarists, especially in a couple unique form factors...the Helix Floor does a lot in a completely self contained box and could be a standalone gigging solution for most guitarists. And the Stomp brings a lot of that power and modeling into a tiny little stomp sized pedal. The FM3 kind of fits between the two both for size and functionality, and the Axe 3 (with controller) is another big step above and beyond the Helix for power and flexability.

Ehm yes my motives are pretty obvious i guess. I cannot stand fanboysm and extravagant claims not supported by data. If you see more than this, I guarantee you it is not the case. I enjoy both platforms and just stating my opinions.

It looks like you hang out on the FAS forum to talk about your Helix? That claim is supported by data :p

The difference in tone and feel between Helix and the Axe III is NIGHT AND DAY. No comparison. Not even in the same league. If you can't hear it, look no further than your own shortcomings. Seriously, Helix is a one-dimensional anemic toy by comparison.

I don’t understand how someone can be a fanboy of a product on the product’s manufacturer’s forum. I’m here because I like the product more than other products. I’m here because I hear the difference and prefer the product. If there’s any place to talk about that, it’s on the manufacturer’s forum.

It’s like going to a pizza place, telling your friends you love pizza, and they call you a fanboy for talking about pizza at the pizza place.

I don’t get it.

Talking positively about a product on the product’s forum shouldn’t be called being a fanboy.

I don’t understand how someone can be a fanboy of a product on the product’s manufacturer’s forum. I’m here because I like the product more than other products. I’m here because I hear the difference and prefer the product. If there’s any place to talk about that, it’s on the manufacturer’s forum.

It’s like going to a pizza place, telling your friends you love pizza, and they call you a fanboy for talking about pizza at the pizza place.

I don’t get it.

Talking positively about a product on the product’s forum shouldn’t be called being a fanboy.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-am-a-fan-boy.148007/
;)

It looks like you hang out on the FAS forum to talk about your Helix? That claim is supported by data :p
There's a lot we can learn by talking about the competitor's product. What happens when a company becomes complacent and ignores the competition altogether? Another product will sneak up and offer something yours doesn't. If you don't believe me, I'll invite you to watch what's going to happen to Kemper in the next 12 months.

My brother, who happens to play in a band with me, has been playing the Helix for a couple of years. He downloaded some Glenn Delaune patches he uses, and they sound decent enough in the mix. I got tired of him saying that it was just as good as the stuff I'm using, so I set up his Helix against my AX8 with an A/B box so we could swap between units quickly. It took all of 10 seconds to see a lightbulb go off over his head of how much better the AX8 sounds. Then at the end I fired up the Axe 3 just to rub it in. haha

My brother is selling his Helix now, I don't know why...

No i m just stating my opinion when i see extravagant claims. I think i have stated many times i enjoy the Axe, i just can't stand these claims. In any case I don't think I need to ask your permission to state my opinion and say whatever i like, nor do i expect everyone to agree with me.

There's always that one guy. I used to hang out on a bodybuilding forum back in the day, and one of the most opinionated go-against-the-grain guys on there had people riled up for YEARS. Then someone found a picture of him, turns out he's 150 lbs soaking wet and looks like he never touched a weight in his life.

There's always that one guy. I used to hang out on a bodybuilding forum back in the day, and one of the most opinionated go-against-the-grain guys on there had people riled up for YEARS. Then someone found a picture of him, turns out he's 150 lbs soaking wet and looks like he never touched a weight in his life.
I think you take it a little too personal. I don't think i m opinionated, i just expressed my experiences with the 2 devices. Not that i care what a rando in a forum thinks, but i was clear where i based my opinion. We disagree, it's ok, unless you have a personal stake in the company i don't understand why people get triggered with a different opinion. Which by the way is not that any of the two is bad. I just dont think there is a day and night difference.

Last edited:
My brother, who happens to play in a band with me, has been playing the Helix for a couple of years. He downloaded some Glenn Delaune patches he uses, and they sound decent enough in the mix. I got tired of him saying that it was just as good as the stuff I'm using, so I set up his Helix against my AX8 with an A/B box so we could swap between units quickly. It took all of 10 seconds to see a lightbulb go off over his head of how much better the AX8 sounds. Then at the end I fired up the Axe 3 just to rub it in. haha

My brother is selling his Helix now, I don't know why...
LOL! Well, to be fair, you're comparing patches created by someone else to patches you created for your system, right?

I do think there are things Fractal gear does better, but when you put one in the loop of the other and dial in the amps using the same IR, A/Bing the two, the differences dwindle to the point where I really don't care which unit I'm using. So I use the one that makes sense for the gig I'm playing or task I'm accomplishing.

My buddy that I play with most has an AX8 which I prompted him to buy. Sounds great. I go back and forth between Axe/FM3 and Helix. The Helix holds its own, live or recorded, against either. He's got an ear for tone and is constantly impressed at what he hears when the Helix is in the mix.

My point here is not "Helix is great, FM3 sucks." Because the FM3 does NOT suck. My point is these are tools. And at this point, ALL of these other tools can get tones that are very, very similar. There is no "best". There is only what's best for you and the particular job you are doing. If you choose to be a fan boy, be prepared to be shown up by some guy with a different rig that sounds FAR better than you do. Tone is in the fingers of the person dialing it in.

Haha, you guys crack me up. Thanks for the laughs

Condescension is not a color you wear particularly well. Best avoid it. I find these statements a little insulting, and probably against the terms of use of the forum. Attacks against the player are not allowed. It's rule number one.

Condescension is not a color you wear particularly well. Best avoid it. I find these statements a little insulting, and probably against the terms of use of the forum. Attacks against the player are not allowed. It's rule number one.

Framing what I'm saying as a personal attack is a bit rich. I'm just laughing at the absurdity of it all.

Coming into a Fractal Audio forum to argue that the LINE 6 HELIX is on par with the Axe FX 3 is absurd. It's like coming into a Mesa Boogie forum to argue that a 10 year old Fender Mustang amp is of the same quality as a Boogie Mark V. Sure they can both do electric guitar tones, but to argue they are in the same league is laughable. Making the argument in this particular forum is downright insulting to the people working at Fractal.

Maybe I'll head over to the Ferrari forum, shoehorn in some threads about Honda Civics :)

In any case I don't think I need to ask your permission to state my opinion and say whatever i like, nor do i expect everyone to agree with me.

Exactly.

The problem is you're treating your opinions as fact, that's what riles people up. They are expressing their own opinions, which is that the difference between Fractal and the Helix is night and day. They're entitled to it just as you are to yours. It riles people up when you come in here and trash their opinion and act as though your opinion is somehow magically more valid than theirs. You can pretty much always expect push back when you pull something like that.

I think you take it a little too personal. I don't think i m opinionated, i just expressed my experiences with the 2 devices. Not that i care what a rando in a forum thinks, but i was clear where i based my opinion. We disagree, it's ok, unless you have a personal stake in the company i don't understand why people get triggered with a different opinion. Which by the way is not that any of the two is bad. I just dont think there is a day and night difference.

Again, people aren't triggered that you have an opinion. They get riled up when you shit on theirs. And expressing your experiences and opinions, and at the same time talking as if they're somehow objective facts, is pretty much the literal definition of opinionated.

1613583026160.png

You seem to get riled up when people treat the Helix and Fractal stuff as wildly different.
I get riled up when people treat their own opinion as somehow superior to anybody else's.

Framing what I'm saying as a personal attack is a bit rich. I'm just laughing at the absurdity of it all.

The point I take issue with is your story about the bodybuilder. Reading it, it implies that you are attacking a member for perhaps not being an actual or good guitar player. That part is against forum rules.

The point I take issue with is your story about the bodybuilder. Reading it, it implies that you are attacking a member for perhaps not being an actual guitar player. That part is against forum rules.

My point was just that we never know who's on the other side of the keyboard and what real world experience they have, and yet we get involved in long absurd discussions. I shouldn't have engaged with this thread at all, consider me out of it.

Back
Top Bottom