If you need a midi interface on the cheap...

marvinx

Inspired
Ok so i posted this in the midi adapter thread but i figured it was worth posting here. I've used this thing on xp, vista, and windows 7. It worked flawlessly with the editor on all of them. On windows 7 i didn't even have to load drivers. On Xp, sendsx didnt seem to work right, and i didnt test it on windows 7. But if you just want to use the editor, then this is the way to go. No extra cables, and its DIRT cheap. Around 5 bucks with shipping!

You can do a search for "usb to midi adapter" or "usb to midi" on ebay, and its pretty much the first thing to come up. No brand name, but it works like a champ.

I almost think cliff should just buy these in bulk and throw em in with the axe-fx.

Anyhoo enjoy.
~mx~

Attachments

• 1097-G.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 617
Will it handle large transfers, that is firmware updates and bank uploads, without sync and checksum issues?

I bought the same one on ebay few monts ago but the plastic part (body) came broken due transport,
I'm 99% sure it came from China tho.
Thanks for the tip!

I very nearly bought one off ebay, to replace my ageing and equally cheap 'tahornG' MIDI interface. Interestingly, and rather annoyingly that device works with my Vista PC, but not with my XP pc.
Anyway the guy could not guarantee delivery as he was on holiday.

So, now I have put a Midisport 2x2 on my Birthday list...coming soon ! :D

I bought one of those from Ebay, would not work to update firmware using my Thinkpad w/XP. EMU XMidi cost more but has worked with everything so far.

tubetonez said:
I bought one of those from Ebay, would not work to update firmware using my Thinkpad w/XP. EMU XMidi cost more but has worked with everything so far.

But did you buy the one marvinx mentioned??? coz i just ordered one of em.. would be killer if it actually works!!

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought one. Been wanting one, but was not going to pay the usual $30 for one from M-audio or the like. If it works with my Win7 laptop then I'll be a happy camper!

guys, the reason it doesn't work on XP is because it doesn't have it's own driver and relies on the built in OS audio/midi driver which is broken in XP. The reason it probably works on Windows 7 is because they made several fixes to the audio/midi stack, so it probably works fine with the built in OS driver (so should just about any other MIDI IF). Vista is probably a crap shoot with this thing depending on SP. Unless you're running Windows 7 or OS X (where the built in CoreMIDI drivers also work) I would be weary of this device. That said, I don't have one to verify, and I suppose $5 isn't a big gamble, but it's $5 you could spend on a better interface.

Just got the midi interface... set it up and tried syncing it with Axe Edit-- works really well... quick and effective!!

However, I also tried transferring User IRs onto the Axe Fx slots but for some weird reason i get the "Bad Checksum" error and the IR doesnt seem to load even though Axe edit shows a 100% transfer

The interface doesnt come with a cd and has an automatic driver transfer thingy..... Im using Windows XP SP3 and i tried updating the driver as well.. uninstalled the stock driver that the interface installs and tried installing the ROMIO XP driver that marvinx posted a link for.... but the damn ROMIO .exe file just doesnt complete the installation!!!

annoying as hell coz i actually expected this chinese interface to work!! and dont and cant afford an expensive interface!!

If im doing something wrong please lemme know...

Further, i dont really know if this would make sense... and I think you guys should try this... on a blank user slot.. try maxing the cab level and the air parameters... for some weird reason i feel like there is an IR installed there and the Air parameters open it up..... is this only on my unit or do most of you'll experience the same thing.... i couldnt explain why this happened...

soularflair said:
Yay - so no-one has an excuse anymore to not post patches and instead just give a massive list of settings :)

Unless they run XP...I tried one of those a while back and could not get it to work on XP (32 or x64).

damn!! this thing works PERFECTLY with vista... tried it on my laptop and i didnt need any drivers...it loaded the drivers automatically as advertised and worked without any flaws... money well spent :) Just wish it worked on XP too!!

Back
Top Bottom