If you like the Rectos...

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
Try the FAS Modern III!

I can't remember what it's based on, but the damn thing rips. And like the other FAS amps, doesn't need any tweaks from stock (I'm looking at you, Mesa Mark series...)

Give it a burl. It's not as hyper-modern as the first Modern, and packs more of a wallop!

Yek's notes say it's based on a Recto but has a tighter low end and a cathode biased power section. Cathode biasing typically gives the power section more compression/sustain compared to fixed biasing like in the real Rectos.

Yek's notes say it's based on a Recto but has a tighter low end and a cathode biased power section. Cathode biasing typically gives the power section more compression/sustain compared to fixed biasing like in the real Rectos.

Sounds like a description for the PRS Archon. Maybe that's the reason we don't have a specific model for that amp. :D

Just gave this a whirl and yeah ....instant tone.
It gives that flavour of a Boogie and it’s super simple to dial in. Maybe I don’t think it sounds so much like a boogie because I actually like how it sounds where as all my real boogie patches are total trash.

Just gave this a whirl and yeah ....instant tone.
It gives that flavour of a Boogie and it’s super simple to dial in. Maybe I don’t think it sounds so much like a boogie because I actually like how it sounds where as all my real boogie patches are total trash.

The Mark models are indeed tough to dial in. Make sure you use the Mark 5 band EQ in the GEQ page of the amp block and set it to pre and not post. Then, set it to have a significant V shape. Raise the treble and bass up to around 3, 4, or even 5, and really pull the mids down. On the main amp block page turn the bass very low or even to zero. Mids fairly low. Treble and Presence around 4-6, master around 3-5. If you’ve picked a decent cab for the cab block it should sound incredibly similar to the real deal...which is to say it should sound unbelievably good.

The Mark models are indeed tough to dial in. Make sure you use the Mark 5 band EQ in the GEQ page of the amp block and set it to pre and not post. Then, set it to have a significant V shape. Raise the treble and bass up to around 3, 4, or even 5, and really pull the mids down. On the main amp block page turn the bass very low or even to zero. Mids fairly low. Treble and Presence around 4-6, master around 3-5. If you’ve picked a decent cab for the cab block it should sound incredibly similar to the real deal...which is to say it should sound unbelievably good.
I support that, but I leave it at Post. Pull down that middle slider.

Really low bass, low mids, high treble on the BMT knobs.

I never really got along with FAS Modern III in the past, I think it wasn’t recto enough for me, since I’m a recto guy through and through.

I’ll give it another shot soon as I haven’t used it in quite a few firmware updates. I think I had fizz problems in the past, to get rid of the fizz I ended up with that blanket-over-the-amp sound. It seems to be a well liked model so likely I didn’t spend enough time understanding it’s eq.

Does anyone have any tips with this model?

I just plugged this amp into a preset i was playing around with and sounds killer. Only tweak i made
was turning on the boost. Thanks!

I never really got along with FAS Modern III in the past, I think it wasn’t recto enough for me, since I’m a recto guy through and through.

I’ll give it another shot soon as I haven’t used it in quite a few firmware updates. I think I had fizz problems in the past, to get rid of the fizz I ended up with that blanket-over-the-amp sound. It seems to be a well liked model so likely I didn’t spend enough time understanding it’s eq.

Does anyone have any tips with this model?

I made a pretty killer preset today after being inspired by this thread. I have used this amp in the past, but it has never been in my top 5. It is good for a Recto-type sound, but much tighter and clearer. It kind of reminds me of a VHT~ized Recto or something.

I don't remember everything I did, but I did turn on the boost, and then drop the gain down to 2-3 oclock. Like most of my sounds I dropped the 500hz slider in the graphic EQ about -6db. I also dropped 4k about -2db, which is also common in my presets. I tend to drop between 3khz and 4khz in most sounds since I use V30 based speakers and it can be too much fizz in that region. Dynamic Depth up to about 11-12 oclock, and presence down to about 11 oclock. There was some others, but that is what I remember off the top of my head.

I made a pretty killer preset today after being inspired by this thread. I have used this amp in the past, but it has never been in my top 5. It is good for a Recto-type sound, but much tighter and clearer. It kind of reminds me of a VHT~ized Recto or something.

I don't remember everything I did, but I did turn on the boost, and then drop the gain down to 2-3 oclock. Like most of my sounds I dropped the 500hz slider in the graphic EQ about -6db. I also dropped 4k about -2db, which is also common in my presets. I tend to drop between 3khz and 4khz in most sounds since I use V30 based speakers and it can be too much fizz in that region. Dynamic Depth up to about 11-12 oclock, and presence down to about 11 oclock. There was some others, but that is what I remember off the top of my head.

Cool I’ll try some of that out when I get home from work.

I just played around with it after getting my Explorer back from a setup.

No, I'm not a Metallica fanboy...

Set it up as you would a Recto, but then approach it how you would a "normal" amp. Master volume can be up to around 4 instead of 2, you can actually have some bass in this without it turning to slop and you can have more lovely gain.

I would recommend cutting SOME 500hz but not too much.

It's pretty fucking great actually. It's like a "fixed" recto.

The problems I had with rectos are almost identical to the problems I have with Uberschalls.

What'd be totally bitching is if Cliff made FAS Modern IV which did for Ubers what Modern III does for Rectos...

A treasure trove of tips here! What cabs is everyone using with this amp? I am FRFR...

Any cab you'd use with a Mesa. A 4x12 with V30's is a good place to start. Try out some different options and see what you prefer though.

Back
Top Bottom