If you didn't do something like this too at some point ...

Guilty. First pedal I ever purchased. It gets a bad rap. If you turn the gain down, don't scoop the hell out of the mids, and control the high end, it's a usable dirt box. The 3 band EQ and sweepable mid control actually make it surprisingly flexible.

My first dirt box was a Ross. I then bought a TS9 and hated it until I plugged it into a tube amp.

my first pedal was a Ross Phaser.
into a crappy Yamaha solid state amp.

it took me years before I found a good guitar tone and amp.

so sad... all that wasted time.

wish I had the Axe FX starting out.

First pedal was an MXR Flanger. I flanged everything for months. Think I got it out of me as I rarely use flange anymore.

Every tool has their use, even the Metal Zone.

remember this tone was a Metal Zone and SPX-90 or 900 straight into the mixing board. Not a bad sound IMHO:

Still got my MT-2... in mint condition, sitting in original packaging in my back room closet !!

When I was using pedals, I had a few Visual Sound pedals that I liked a lot. I had a RT66, a Jekyll & Hyde, and a H2o (chorus and delay pedal). I still have them. Great sounding pedals.

The DOD FX 57 Hard Rock was my first stomp box. It sounded pretty awful. It wound up breaking in a year or so, so it sounded awful and was pretty cheap quality-wise.

My first gizmo wasn't a pedal, it was an Arion Hot Watt II headphone amp. It was a gift. I used it as a booster going into my epic little Dean Markley (IIRC) K20 practice amp. Then I saved up some student job money and got an Ibanez Metal Charger pedal and rocked the biggest venues in the world (actually my mom's living room). I haven't used it in almost 30 years, but I still have it. Because of this thread, I'll see if I can find it and dust it off.

Three things....

1. My first pedal was a DOD Chorus FX64 Ice Box on sale at guitar center for $29.99 (so year 2000/2001)
2. Metal Zone- Prince could afford anything and never really took endorsement deals very far- but for at least the entire late 90's and 2000's his entire rig was a metal zone into the clean channel of a mesa boogie recto... they're great pedals and can be dialed into be the best pedal or the worst pedal- most choose worst though.

3. Psychological mindfuck...

I really wanted a Boss MZ-2 Digital Metalizer
So I got one kinda cheap but in bad condition- but it sounded amazing- best pedal I ever heard....
I bought another one in much better condition... so i put the old one up on ebay....
I had it up for a week or two and someone emailed me- 'you know that's a metal zone- look at the controls- it's a metal zone with the top of a digital metalizer, the sides don't even match the color on the top'
He was right...
When I thought it was a rare pedal I wanted I thought it was amazing- even though it was literally a Metal Zone

The real one sounds pretty good too- but I think the mind plays with the ears too much with 99% of music gear

My first pedal was a Maestro Fuzz Tone. Put in front of my Fender Concert amp, it was sonic bliss.

We both must be old. My first one, too. In front of a Fender silverface Deluxe Reverb (playing a Harmony Rocket). Don't have the pedal anymore, but I still have the amp.

hqdefault.jpg

We both must be old. My first one, too. In front of a Fender silverface Deluxe Reverb (playing a Harmony Rocket). Don't have the pedal anymore, but I still have the amp.
They call me The Geeze for a reason, but I can't remember what the reason is.

Back
Top Bottom