If you could buy one cab pack?

pull75

Inspired
What is everyone's favorite cab pack? Is there one that just stands out above the rest? My favorite Van Halen tone is probably 1984 or Van Halen II Any recommendations on cabs to achieve that? I'm also a huge Andy Timmons fan

What is everyone's favorite cab pack? Is there one that just stands out above the rest? My favorite Van Halen tone is probably 1984 or Van Halen II Any recommendations on cabs to achieve that? I'm also a huge Andy Timmons fan
I'd still recommend CP7. Still a goto for me given all the sounds you can get from it. Clean to dirty, it's such a versatile cab, and great shots of it!

I really like the Ownhammer Justin York Collection.

It is pretty much exactly what I wanted and sounds great. A load of SM57 and MD421 captures of a Mesa 2x12, 4x12, and AC30 cab.

My lonely island cab-pack: ML Cab-Pack 19!

That Angle (Engl) cab solved all the remaining issues I ever had with making my high gain tones sound absolutely awesome. Seriously - it was such a relief to finally nail the tone I always had in my mind, but never could dial in perfectly. At least for me cab-packs 7,12 and 13 were really good (like 95%), but mixing single mics in Cab-Lab with cab-pack 19 finally provided these remaining 5%.

Here is my "perfect high gain cab" recipe for Cab-Pack 19 "Angle":
1) SM57A1 + Lowcut @ 55 Hz @ 0dB
2) M160D1 @ -4.5 dB

Thanks Mikko!

OH Marsh UK MultiPack.
IMHO.
It has a good collection of Marshall cabinets and several speaker types that you would be looking for including the multiple flavors of G12H and G12M. Even though I prefer a 4x12, that 2x12 included in the pack is absolutely stellar. This pack is pretty much ideal for the tones you are chasing.

Out of my options Cab Pack 12 is based on the EVH 4x12 = Van Halen. Cab Pack 7 is based on a Mesa 4x12 Traditional which is used by Timmons I believe. Obviously if you're getting just one pack then Cab Pack 20 has the most variety. Check out @ProgressiveRocco and the awesome Van Halen clip he made with Cab Pack 20. :)

OH Marsh UK MultiPack.
IMHO.
It has a good collection of Marshall cabinets and several speaker types that you would be looking for including the multiple flavors of G12H and G12M. Even though I prefer a 4x12, that 2x12 included in the pack is absolutely stellar. This pack is pretty much ideal for the tones you are chasing.
Completely agree. And to get more of that 2x12, try the 212-GTR MAR-66 Multi-Speaker pack. I believe it is based on the same 1966B cab.

speaking of classic marshall tones, quite frankly Cab Pack 20 is hard to beat imho. of course in the end it just comes down to personal preference, but I've yet to find an IR from that pack that doesn't sound great! you can check out this video I did using cab pack 20

I'm new to any additional cab purchases and have to ask a couple of basics:

Are they really crucial to your tone above and beyond what comes stock w/ Axe FX II Quantum firmware?
As a fan of Mesa head's and other hi-gain setups, which cab pack would give me the best tone for metal?

I'm new to any additional cab purchases and have to ask a couple of basics:

Are they really crucial to your tone above and beyond what comes stock w/ Axe FX II Quantum firmware?
As a fan of Mesa head's and other hi-gain setups, which cab pack would give me the best tone for metal?
Yes definitely. Check out the AxeFxTutorials stream where we demonstrate time after time how using different IR's and finding the right IR is the most important part of your signal chain. I would argue it's more important than choosing the right amp sim.

For Mesa tones it's got to be Cab Pack 7 or Cab Pack 13. Cab Pack 7 is based on the cabinet that John Petrucci uses so if you're a fan of his guitar sound that's the one you want. However if you're a fan of the oversize crushing low end hard rock nu metal tone or wait for it... DJENT! I would recommend you get Cab Pack 13 which I did as a collaboration with Misha Mansoor from Periphery. It was also used on the newest Haunted Shores Viscera EP. :)

speaking of classic marshall tones, quite frankly Cab Pack 20 is hard to beat imho. of course in the end it just comes down to personal preference, but I've yet to find an IR from that pack that doesn't sound great! you can check out this video I did using cab pack 20

Did you use this cab pack on your 5150 video?

I watch your Girl Gone BAd cover like once a week, was that cab pack 20? best Axe Fx tone I have ever heard period!

Completely off topic, but I must say.....ShockFront! Awesome little EP you and Valentino put together. I searched Bandcamp (which I recently turned my dear friend Thibault on to) and found your page. Instant purchase, very well done.

Rocco's Bandcamp: https://shockfront.bandcamp.com/
Fremen's Feedback Bandcamp: https://feedback-mru.bandcamp.com/

Both highly recommended listening and purchasing. Thank you both for the consistent inspiration.

Did you use this cab pack on your 5150 video?
I watch your Girl Gone BAd cover like once a week, was that cab pack 20? best Axe Fx tone I have ever heard period!

thanks man! on both those clips I actually used OwnHammer's UltraRes IRs, it was back in early 2014 so we didn't have cab pack 20 yet :) I do have the 5150 patch posted on AxeChange http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=2254 but it's most likely to sound very different now due to all the fw changes!

Completely off topic, but I must say.....ShockFront! Awesome little EP you and Valentino put together. I searched Bandcamp (which I recently turned my dear friend Thibault on to) and found your page. Instant purchase, very well done.

Rocco's Bandcamp: https://shockfront.bandcamp.com/
Fremen's Feedback Bandcamp: https://feedback-mru.bandcamp.com/

Both highly recommended listening and purchasing. Thank you both for the consistent inspiration.

thanks a lot dude!! speaking of Vale, we're actually working on a new cover with the axefx, should be up on Monday! some 80s shred...*cough* Racer X *cough* :D

Back
Top Bottom