If there was one guys that you could play like who would it be

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
If there was one guy that you could play like who would it be

and why?
I was going over some older Greg Howe stuff tonight ("Uncertain Terms") and damn the notes just fall off of this guys fingers.
If there was one person I wish I could play like it would be him, he pulls lines together over changes that just blow me away.
1/2 the time I can't even figure out what key or mode he's in :?
Just pure awesomeness.

Last edited:
That's a hard question to answer as I like to play like a lot of different people. My influences are spread out over a great number of players so I guess I would want to play like me which is the culmination of all of my influences, does that make any sense?

I can't even name all of the guitar players that I like to play like but I can name a few that I like the technique of, Andy Timmons, Steve Vie, Ty Tabor, Pat Travers to name a few. Granted I can't play to their level but I like to try and at the same time I can uncover a little of me in all that and hopefully come up with something that's mine.

I think I would like to play like the best version of myself,the way I hear myself in my head.
As for guitar players there are so many influences but in the best version of myself I have taken

a bit from some of my favourite guitar players. If I can have certain elements of Guthrie Govan,John Petrucci,Al Di Meola,Shawn Lane,Andy Timmons,Monte Montgomery and Michael Hedges I would be super satisfied. Just to be able to pull off some of their stuff would make me happy,within my own music. Having said that I want to see myself having my own identity and to be able to play what I hear in my head.

Going with some different names: Trevor Rabin, Eric Johnson, Allan Holdsworth. (But of course I second the usual Satriani/Vai/Petrucci references.)

Oh, and on acoustic (and a lot of electric, too): Phil Keaggy. Beyond Nature is just...wow.

I guess this thread will be a rerun of the "7 best guitarists" thread :)
This ship sailed long time ago for me. I started way way to late playing, (at 36) so will never be any good.
So pretty much any decent guitarist would be on my list.
But should i name one I guess... If I could play like Joel Northridge I would be pretty pleased.

I guess this thread will be a rerun of the "7 best guitarists" thread :)
This ship sailed long time ago for me. I started way way to late playing, (at 36) so will never be any good.
So pretty much any decent guitarist would be on my list.
But should i name one I guess... If I could play like Joel Northridge I would be pretty pleased.

There is no age to become an awesome player you just need to be dedicated man. If you think you will never be any good then you won't
cause you have made yourself believe that.

There is no age to become an awesome player you just need to be dedicated man. If you think you will never be any good then you won't
cause you have made yourself believe that.

Was not meant in any negative way :)
I simply dont have the time (fulltime work and Family) to sit down and do the 5-6 hours practice a day.
But it dosnt matter, I have fun as it is now :) Slowly improvement is also improvement.

I simply dont have the time (fulltime work and Family) to sit down and do the 5-6 hours practice a day.
But it dosnt matter, I have fun as it is now :) Slowly improvement is also improvement.

If you want to get better and your time is limited always work on techniques that are new and difficult with the time you do have for practice. Thus way you will still improve faster than if you just play stuff you know.

I am glad it was nothing negative,as long as you can enjoy it you Rock my friend :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
I think I would like to give Mattias Eklundh (freak kitchen) some love in this thread. Plus soooo many others, of course.

Back
Top Bottom