If there was no Fractal Audio, what would your rig be?

apocalypse rig ??
alternate amp /rig ??

My Axe-Fx sounds, sounds, sounds, sounds, ....

I need nothing.

In early starts of guitar history the guitarist used Amps called Fender, Marshall, Boogie, ....
Today there is only Fractal Audio 2U Amp :)

Man, I hate to wrap my head around this kind of stuff again. I'd go with a two head rig, one clean (probably a 64 Bassman- the only piece of tube gear I have left), and one dirty (in a perfect world, maybe a Reeves Super 78), with the Reeves loaded down with an attenuator. Add a DynoBrain, grab an overdrive or two- I've always loved the Blackstone, and a Klon if I was willing to sell a kidney or something, plus a strymon blue sky reverb and a strymon el capistan. That would cover most of my needs- although it'd be bloody loud, have to balance levels, deal with tinnitus, etc. Sigh... part of me still drools for a setup like this, but honestly, it's a pita, and expensive, and the volume thing really turns me off. My ears aren't getting any better, and blasting amps aren't worth my hearing. Gotta take care of those ears.

Since I don't have an Axe yet, it would probably be exactly what it is now...

Marshall DSL100
Marshall 1960A loaded with V30s and 75s
G-System
Blackstar HT-Dual, Digitech Bad Monkey, MXR 10-band

i guess timing is working in my favor because i am way too busy right now to be suffocating from Axe II G.A.S. and hitting the add to cart button like a fiend.

so what my rig IS:

Mesa Mark V Head -> Mesa 4x12 Recto Cab
Mesa Lonestar Special Combo

also just picked up a Fender Mustang III combo. still sitting in the box so my kids can give it to me for Father's Day tomorrow :)

"Live" I would go back to Suhr Badger (probably the 30) head + cab and a few simple pedals, nothing crazy.
Recording I would get that new Scuffham recording software and never look cab. It allows using Red Wirez and Ownhammer IR's and the clips I have heard are tremendous imho.

CAA PT50, 2x12 cab and a rack of pedals Zendrive, Suhr Riot, Keeley Compressor, EHX Hog, Eventide Timefactor, all of the Strymon pedals and midi controller/switcher of some description.

BOSS GT-Pro > Stereo Tube Power Amp > Two 4x12's. I was getting some really decent tones with this setup, even when compared to my Axe Fx.

I had my "dream rig" which was simple before selling to fund my on the way axe fx... Maxon OD808, ISP Decimator, Peavey 5150, Mesa traditional 412. I've still got the mesa cab, gonna replicate the 5150 and OD with the axe hopefully.

Both were sold after getting my Standard:

Rhythm sound = Mesa DC-3
Lead sound = Mesa Mark III (with + mod by Mike B.)

I love modelers for their versatility and portability, so I'd go with somebody's else's, probably a POD HD or Eleven Rack. It would depend on which I liked best. Fortunately I am not faced with this problem...

I would be completely and utterly SCREWED. I'm doing things with my Ultra that I don't know I could accomplish with any other gear. In any event, I would have to sell my organs to afford it all!

Pod HD. Maybe 11rack. But that is a big MAYBE. Right now I have GT 10 and I am holding on to it until I can afford Axe 2. So it doesn't bother me they are not available. I don't have the money for it yet :)

Pod HD. Maybe 11rack. But that is a big MAYBE. Right now I have GT 10 and I am holding on to it until I can afford Axe 2. So it doesn't bother me they are not available. I don't have the money for it yet :)

Soooooooo .... you don't own/owned an AFX ... and you're telling us what your rig would be if you didn't use an AFX ...
This is too abstract to cope with in the weekend. :)

My non-Axe-FX dream rig...

ENGL Powerball to the Left, and an ENGL InVader to the right, with two Eventide Eclipse's, one before the amps, and the other in the loops of the ENGL's, a Gordious MIDI pedal, Peterson Rack tuner, Line 6 Relay G90, a few pedals in a Sound Sculpture switching system before the Eclipse, a big ass dual head live-in rack with a 6 or 8 space fx's rack built in, and a few of Orange Cabs, probably 4 − 2x12's, in black!

Heck, I'd still have most of that even with an Axe-FX! lol

PS, I don't own an Axe-FX, but I'm thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom