If the III was 2U (or 1U!!!) I would have ordered one by now

I’ve started putting only 2 strings on my guitar.
6 strings is just way too much to change, tune, and play for gigging and rehearsals.....

Things have gotten kind of absurdly silly on the internet these days. Complaining that a little 3u black box that weights like what, 10lbs? Is now too big and heavy....

This one little box can replace literally a few tons of gear. Think about how much weight it used to take putting just a few amp heads and cabs into a trailer, along with a rack of effects or pedal board. Few hundred pounds easily and then think about the hundreds of amps and cabs in the Axe-Fx. Literally taking what used to fill a trailer into something that you can carry under one arm....

Anyone ever carry a Fender Twin or a 4x12 cabinet up a flight of stairs, much less just trying to lift one out of the backseat ? How about a rack the size of a refrigerator ?

What was the photo last week with a few live sound techs and like 3 huge racks and like 10 axe II’s which was all replaced by a single III....

That’s progress to me and my sore back, but now we are saying the III is too big and heavy....wow

Guess it’s time for the Axe IV which runs as a smartphone amp, so we don’t have to carry anything more to a gig than out phone which is already in our pocket

I am old also and like the large screen a lot. It is way easier to see and use. I think you'd like that. It feels like the Axe FXII and Axe FXIII are about the same weight to me, or very close. I don't notice the Axe FXIII being heavier. I agree about the 3 space rack. It saves about 2.5 pounds also. Even though the Axe FXIII is taller than the Axe FXII it seems smaller because it is not as deep.

I'm old and arthritic.
The form factor is one of my major concerns.
I use a shallow 4U rack right now with a II, a GT1000 and a power strip.
On most of my gigs (jazz gigs), stage space for me is minimal and I don't even have room allotted to me for the 4U rack plus a cab, so I use a combo amp instead.
I'd like to use the Axe rig more often but it's already too much to lug around as it is with the II.

If I ditched the power strip (it's not even a conditioner) and just plugged the 2 AC lines (a III + GT1000) into a power bar I guess I'd be OK.
But then there's more shit to plug in/out every time I set up/tear down.
I'm also a whiner.

So, I'm waffling.
But I'd would have gotten myself on the waitlist by now if the III was only 2U.

My III-envy GAS is expanding daily.
How do you use a shallow case with the Axe Fx II?

I’ve started putting only 2 strings on my guitar.
6 strings is just way too much to change, tune, and play for gigging and rehearsals.....

Things have gotten kind of absurdly silly on the internet these days. Complaining that a little 3u black box that weights like what, 10lbs? Is now too big and heavy....

This one little box can replace literally a few tons of gear. Think about how much weight it used to take putting just a few amp heads and cabs into a trailer, along with a rack of effects or pedal board. Few hundred pounds easily and then think about the hundreds of amps and cabs in the Axe-Fx. Literally taking what used to fill a trailer into something that you can carry under one arm....

Anyone ever carry a Fender Twin or a 4x12 cabinet up a flight of stairs, much less just trying to lift one out of the backseat ? How about a rack the size of a refrigerator ?

What was the photo last week with a few live sound techs and like 3 huge racks and like 10 axe II’s which was all replaced by a single III....

That’s progress to me and my sore back, but now we are saying the III is too big and heavy....wow

Guess it’s time for the Axe IV which runs as a smartphone amp, so we don’t have to carry anything more to a gig than out phone which is already in our pocket

You are literally the only one who is complaining here. He shared his thoughts and his situation. And maybe with ideas from others he will figure out a way to make it work. Obviously he actualy wants an Axe Fx III.

I'm old and arthritic.
The form factor is one of my major concerns.
I use a shallow 4U rack right now with a II, a GT1000 and a power strip.
On most of my gigs (jazz gigs), stage space for me is minimal and I don't even have room allotted to me for the 4U rack plus a cab, so I use a combo amp instead.
I'd like to use the Axe rig more often but it's already too much to lug around as it is with the II.

If I ditched the power strip (it's not even a conditioner) and just plugged the 2 AC lines (a III + GT1000) into a power bar I guess I'd be OK.
But then there's more shit to plug in/out every time I set up/tear down.
I'm also a whiner.

So, I'm waffling.
But I'd would have gotten myself on the waitlist by now if the III was only 2U.

My III-envy GAS is expanding daily.

Then why not get an AX8 and an Atomic CLR NEO instead of your current rigs ??
AX8 and CLR is a really light weight, really compact and awesome sounding rig, and should be lighter, smaller and as or more versatile than your current.
You could sell the combo and the Axe II rig and perhaps have some cash left over to put towards an Axe III or other stuff.

You are literally the only one who is complaining here. He shared his thoughts and his situation. And maybe with ideas from others he will figure out a way to make it work. Obviously he actualy wants an Axe Fx III.

The way I read his post lqdsnddist is not complaining, he is just being sarcastic

Truth be told, it being a 3U as well as having a big ass screen was a slight disappointment to me. And then reducing the size of the controller really had me scratching my head. Of course none of the above will prevent me from upgrading at some point. For now I'm happy to wait things out this time around.

\m/

170 watts is nowhere near enough for what I do.
And on most jazz gigs I wouldn't have any pedals on the floor anyway.
Maybe just a Vol Block controller via the Axe's Pedal jack.
So, not for me.
But thanks.

The 170 is not a floor pedal. It’s small and you put it on top of the rack. And it is very loud without distortion.

This made my eyes go big for a moment.

We used to have 10+ space racks and pedalboard to rule it all + 4x12's (stereo!), or a hugely heavy combo + pedalboard, or a head, cabs, pedalboard.

Now we have a 3U unit and 12 button pedal controller, and that's too much?

I find all this frankly ridiculous. You have the most versatile music creation product in the world, and the complaint is that it's not 1U?

I wonder how someone who gigs for 3 hours complains about having to make 2 trips to the car to get their gear.

I'm sorry if that sounds sharp, but to me it's like the folks who used to complain that they couldn't get their cabs in Purple Tolex...cause it sounds better. Perhaps someday all we'll have to do is place our phones near the PA Mixer, and all our tones will be supplied through the cloud...patches changed by eye movement.

IMO.
R
Im not complaining, just waiting for the Floor version. I understand its ok for some people to lug big racks, its not ok for me.

I’d be fine it were 4u tall, and could do even more stuff. It’s a mere fraction, compared to the traditional approach.
7ceede8b-d319-4754-a14d-f8cba696b05f-jpeg.46588
While my own approach to gear differs, I can at least appreciate the work of a person who clearly has their priorities straight.

The 170 is not a floor pedal. It’s small and you put it on top of the rack. And it is very loud without distortion.
SD would ... strongly...disagree that it's not a floor pedal.

"PowerStage 170 is a revolutionary pedal-board power amp designed for guitarists using pedals, modelers and effects processors to create their tone."
"...the perfect complement to pedalboards..."
"You can even adjust the big Master Volume knob with your foot"
"It is small enough to fit directly on a pedalboard"

EDIT: I am looking at the Powerstage 700 to sit in 1U rack space to replace my 2U Matrix, but the inputs being on the front seem wonky to me.

It being a 3U is a bit of a bummer, but it's really not that big of a deal.
Especially in the context of all the benefits of the axe 3...

SD would ... strongly...disagree that it's not a floor pedal.

"PowerStage 170 is a revolutionary pedal-board power amp designed for guitarists using pedals, modelers and effects processors to create their tone."
"...the perfect complement to pedalboards..."
"You can even adjust the big Master Volume knob with your foot"
"It is small enough to fit directly on a pedalboard"

Of course, Marketing will try to sell it to a broad audience, but it makes no sense because the thing has to be connected to a speaker.

Of course, Marketing will try to sell it to a broad audience, but it makes no sense because the thing has to be connected to a speaker.
Any pedalboard runs a cable back to the amp - this is just a speaker cable instead of a normal TS. I have several 25'+ speaker cables, so other than the fact that the gauge might be different it seems to be normal operating procedure.

Waiting for the floor version. 3 space rack/controller is way too big for giging/ rehearsals. I need to take all my stuff in one go and i dont want to be exhausted by the time i reach the stage or rehearsal space.
Same here. The III looks great, but going back to a rack is unappealing.

I'm very interested in this option . Do you have any pics you could share ? Thanks so much .

I don't have a picture handy, but I did this too. I had to get the Furman M-8x2, which is a basic power conditioner but it's only 3.75" deep. The LiveWires one I had before was too deep, though it may have been a "better" conditioner than the Merit series from Furman. But it should still be fine. With the M-8x2, there's plenty of room for it to be on the back rails across from the Line6 G90 on the front. Even with an AC adapter for my Liquid Foot controller plugged into the back.

Back
Top Bottom