If I but an AX8 will I always be dreaming about an Axe FX?

To those who made the decision, will I be wondering what I'm missing out on if I don't get the flagship rack and opt for the AX8? I understand this may be a stupid question and may rile ppl the wrong way, apologies! It's a big decision. Cheers

If I could afford an Axe Fx XL+ and MFC I'd more than likely go that route but I couldn't so I went with the AX8.

Depends.....

They sound the same, but Axe FX has additional horsepower and features. You are the only one that can decide if you will be 'missing out'.
If you need dual amps, tons of effects...then Axe FX may be what you'll want.

For gigging, I use Amp / Cab / Chorus / Phase / Flange / Verb / Delay / Wah / Whammy....and I can do all of that with the Ax8 no problem.

If I want to use a bunch of synth and stacked amps and effects....then I'll use my Axe FX.

If I only had the Ax8, I'd be absolutely fine. But it may have been hard to make that decision if I didn't have the Axe FX to compare to.
I never have that feeling when using my Ax8 of - "oh I wonder what I'm missing out on by not using the Axe FX".....I DO know what I'm missing out on, and it doesn't really matter for my uses.

So what are you looking to get from the Fractal?

Possibly.....then I look at the price difference on AxeFX II + foot controller and just drop my reverb down a notch in density / go from super quality to normal instead :)

Sold my Axe FX II to buy AX8. Super happy about the trade. I have the same tones as before, but in a more portable form. I really like, that i don't have to carry a rack unit + midi controller with me anymore. Now i just put the AX8 in my backbag and im good to go.

I've had the Axe ii, I've had two Kempers, I've just sold my Line 6 Helix... and I've resorted to the AX8.

I'm playing in a gigging band, we play anywhere between 1 show a month to 3-4. For me, it's about portability, ease of use, quick and simple setup time (before gigs and when packing up), so for me, the logical solution is the AX8. To me it does 80-90% of what the Axe FX ii does (maybe even more than 90%), and perhaps most importantly, when you're on stage, do you think the punters in the crowd are actually gonna know whether you're using the Axe FX or AX8?! Not a chance my friend. The AX8 really is a plug and play device which, AGAIN, if you're playing shows or even just at band prac, it's the best way to go.

I traded down from the Axe to the AX8. I kinda miss being able to reamp over USB, but that's about it.

If you haven't used the xl+ , you should be perfectly happy with AX8, but I
Love the depth of the more expensive unit, but for live, Ax8 does the trick.

@BBN nailed it: it depends.

The AX8 is squarely aimed at live use. All of its features are evaluated in that context. Sure, it works to record with, but it's not as easy to integrate in to your studio flow as the Axe-Fx II is not having audio-over-USB or even bi-directional SPDIF.

The sounds it produces are glorious and every bit as amazing as the bigger rack unit. Whether they work completely for you or not is personal, no one can really tell you.

What I can say is it's super low risk to try and find out. You've got 10 days to return it for a full refund or, if you opt to evaluate it for a little longer, you'll find a strong used market can help you recoup most of your costs if you want to trade up to the rack unit.

I own both, gig and record both, and love them equally. They're the same but different. I don't find myself missing the Axe-Fx II/MFC combination when I'm on a gig because the sounds coming out of the AX8 are the same as what I'd get out of the AFII setup. What usually sways me one way other the other is how much I want to carry to the gig, stage size and whether or not I want the extra expression controllers and bigger presets I have in the rack setup. More often than not I'm grabbing the AX8 though because it's one shoulder bag and I'm done. Super easy to carry in and out.

A professionnal player I ocasiannally replace in an amateur band uses the ax8. Hearing the sounds he gets out of it I don't think you'd regret anything. The main issue is to know to play and spend time with your guitar. Axes fx and ax8 are great tools. I bought an axe fx2 in 2012 after selling an ultra and am spoiled with it and totally satisfied. Had the ax8 existed in 2010 I guess I'd bought it rather than the rack unit and am sure it would work for me without any regrets.

My XL+ sits in a rack in the studio and I work in Axe-Edit. It's an amazingly powerful rig.

If my primary use was rehearsals and live gigs I could totally see the AX8 as being a great choice. Awesome sound in a portable package.

But isnt this how we people act all the time no matter what... No matter what we choose, always think "something else" would have been better, greater, more fun etc etc...

I never owned any other Fractal gear. I love my AX8, and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

I just returned from a gig, where I actually ripped my pants (sounds very rock n roll, but it wasn't), I just wanted to get out of there quickly, so I just packed up the AX8, said goodbye to my bandmates and walked directly to my car (one trip only).

Also, I think the footswitch integration and thoughts behind it in the AX8 is magnificent. It is so easy to set up presets that really work in a live situation.

AX8 is limited, if you basically want to make one preset, you play with all night. If you want to build an 'everything and the kitchen sink' preset, the AX8 has too little CPU and too few footswitches. You should expect to use more presets. I make a preset for each song, and I setup scenes for each part of the song. It is very effective, and tap dancing FX buttons is completely eliminated.

I had the Axe Fx 2, Mk 2. First with the MFC and then switched to a MMGT/16 foot controller. When Fractal released the Ax8 I bought off the first batch that made it to Australia. The first week I had it I changed to playing with my Ax8 with my band and haven't gone back to the Axe Fx 2 since. When a couple of months had passed and I hadn't turned on my Axe Fx 2, I sold it and my MMGT/16. No regrets.

If Fractal released an Axe 3 rack unit today, the only thing I would be hoping for was that it wouldn't be too long until we got an Axe 8 XL+ Pro Extra Mega based on the same basic platform. But that's likely years away.

Back
Top Bottom