If I boost by 'x'dB, should I see 'x'dB change on the VU meters?

dbun

Experienced
Just wondering if a clean boost of say 3dB will show directly as a 3dB increase on the VU meters?

I was playing around with using a GEQ at the end of my chain as a clean volume boost, but noticed that adjusting the level to +3dB didn't necessarily show as 3dB increase when I level check on the VU meters.

Not saying this is an issue, but just curious as to how things translate etc.

Yes, aside from increased guitar-speaker interaction e.g. some notes might sustain longer with the boost on, or the higher output influencing how you play. GEQ bands all at 0 dB? How much did the level on your meters seem to increase? You could use the looper for a more accurate test than playing something twice.

Insert a Synth Block, track off,sine sweep, frequency of your choice and watch VU meters. Next: connect a LFO to synth output level MIN: -6db, MAX+6db, play with the LFO rateand watch VU meters. Get a feeling what RMS means. Now insert your Null Filter, PEQ,Volume Block or whatever and increase the Level/Gain, watch VU meters ....

get the trick?

GEQ bands all at 0 dB? How much did the level on your meters seem to increase? You could use the looper for a more accurate test than playing something twice.

All bands at 0 except for the far extremes. I was basically trying to carve out a mid boost by cutting highs and lows and boosting the overall level rather than individual frequencies.
The looper idea sounds good, will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom