If all I need to do is mix IRs, is Cab-Lab good enough?

dbun

Experienced
I'm a bit confused with the pending release of Cab-Lab Live.
I have no need for running IRs in a DAW etc, which I know is one of the big points of the upcoming Cab-Lab Live.

If all I want to do is mix IRs together for my Axe Fx II, is the current Cab-Lab all I need?

I've also read about IR producers providing reference IRs so the power amp colouring can be removed.
Can this be done in the current Cab-Lab, or is this a new Cab-Lab live feature?

It seems to me that you could run the IR and the reference IR in series to produce a new IR with the power amp colouring removed?
Or have I misunderstood the process.

Thanks!

Current version allows you to mix ir's but you have to guess at the mix. New version allows you to mix them, listening in realtime. I don't know how the reference ir is used but once the new cablab is released I'm sure it will become more clear. If you haven't purchased it yet I would certainly hold off for the new version as it won't be long.

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I'll hold off for now and grab the new version once released!

Current version allows you to mix ir's but you have to guess at the mix.

Hmm. With the actual version you can send your mix to the axe-fx and that takes a second or two until you can hear what you mixed and that's slow but it works. The new version will allow faster mixing when you hear at once how your mix sounds.

Current version works pretty well, but to be honest, with so many cab packs now having mixes already done in them, I haven't touched Cab Lab in quite a while. Still a great product though.

CL Live will surely be great as well, but not sure I'll purchase as I feel I have "turn key" IR's from purchases like Cab Packs 6 and 7. I could spend all afternoon mixing different IR's, and would be great to have a "live" ability to do so, but am I really going to come up with something better sounding ? Not so sure....

Cool to have choices and all, but realistically if you would tell me to wager money one a Clark Kent CP7 Allow Mix or whatever I could come up with in 2 hours of mixing all my thousands of OH, Fractal, Freebie, RedWirez etc IR's, I'd probably put my money on the Alloy mix.

Just food for thought

Current version works pretty well, but to be honest, with so many cab packs now having mixes already done in them, I haven't touched Cab Lab in quite a while. Still a great product though.

CL Live will surely be great as well, but not sure I'll purchase as I feel I have "turn key" IR's from purchases like Cab Packs 6 and 7. I could spend all afternoon mixing different IR's, and would be great to have a "live" ability to do so, but am I really going to come up with something better sounding ? Not so sure....

Cool to have choices and all, but realistically if you would tell me to wager money one a Clark Kent CP7 Allow Mix or whatever I could come up with in 2 hours of mixing all my thousands of OH, Fractal, Freebie, RedWirez etc IR's, I'd probably put my money on the Alloy mix.

Just food for thought

You make total sense......but most folks are not going to be able to resist going down this rabbit hole.......people just love new stuff to mess with!

Hmm. With the actual version you can send your mix to the axe-fx and that takes a second or two until you can hear what you mixed and that's slow but it works. The new version will allow faster mixing when you hear at once how your mix sounds.

True. But once you send a mixed ir to the axe, you have to guess at which individual ir to readjust and by how much. Rinse and repeat til it's where you want it. Mixing them in realtime is def the way to go.

Just food for thought

I agree but sometimes it's a matter of just a slight tweak to someone else's mix to get where you need to be. Other times you may want to come up with something different and unique sounding.

To stay out of the rabbit hole, get something that works and stop. It's very easy to find something you like but think; maybe there's a better option buried in this ir folder. Leave it for another time and make music.

It is a lot faster and easier to mix in the new cablab. Hearing things in realtime makes a world of difference, plus you can adjust phase, delay, hp/lp filtering.

There are 3 Macro-Worlds inside the Axe black box: amps, fxs, and cabs
The new CabLab (Live) put the cabs world in a new stellar level of flexibility IMHO both for live cabs tones and - much more relevant - for recording tones.
The good value of our cabs IR collections with the nu CabLab will be multiplied by a x1000 factor (I mean... even the less used standalone IRs will become spices for new cabs mix recipes).
Can't wait!!!! :nightmare:

True. But once you send a mixed ir to the axe, you have to guess at which individual ir to readjust and by how much. Rinse and repeat til it's where you want it. Mixing them in realtime is def the way to go.

Yes, that's true. I usually did put my mixes on some different slots #90-99 to have them for a later reaudition. They sound different when you reaudition later with fresh ears. Maybe the faster you can work the better you can tell how good a mix is because you have that fresh ears for 20 minutes only or less. So that would be an advantage of the upcoming version (besides other things).

Anyway I will buy the new CL as soon as it gets released since it is a big step forward.

The new Cab-Lab will allow you to hear the adjustments of your IR mixes in real-time, so I would highly suggest it for mixing IRs.

That's what I thought the first Cab Lab did when I bought it. I quickly found out different. However, it turned out to be very useful and I have been able to mix hundreds of IRs with it. I'm glad I bought it.

The new Cab-Lab is going to use iLok. I hate iLok and don't buy anything that uses it. I planned on getting Cab Lab Live when it came out until I saw it was going to use iLok. Being able to hear mixes live in real time with Cab Lab Live would make mixing much easier. I was looking forward to it until I read about the iLok requirement.

To answer the original posters questions:
The old Cab Lab will mix your IRs just fine. I've mixed hundreds of them with it.
I think you'd need Cab Lab live to use the reference IRs though. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

That's what I thought the first Cab Lab did when I bought it. I quickly found out different. However, it turned out to be very useful and I have been able to mix hundreds of IRs with it. I'm glad I bought it.

The new Cab-Lab is going to use iLok. I hate iLok and don't buy anything that uses it. I planned on getting Cab Lab Live when it came out until I saw it was going to use iLok. Being able to hear mixes live in real time with Cab Lab Live would make mixing much easier. I was looking forward to it until I read about the iLok requirement.

To answer the original posters questions:
The old Cab Lab will mix your IRs just fine. I've mixed hundreds of them with it.
I think you'd need Cab Lab live to use the reference IRs though. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

I wouldn't let the iLok thing put you off. It will be seamless from what I've read and actually prevents piracy.

I am really looking forward to it.

Is Cab Lab required to get Ultra Res cabs? Or does cab packs include already mixed ultra res cabs? What about third party cab packs like Ownhammer?

Back
Top Bottom