If a used FM 3 has the headphone jack can I assume it's also has the Cygnus OS?

Okay. Thanks fellas. I'll wait until I get the unit to see what the os is.
I was planning on buying some of the Austin Buddy stuff and had read that there could be an issue running some of his older stuff with the new OS.
Probably jumping the gun here a bit.

AB has updated all of his Gold Pack presets for Cygnus and they are fantastic. At the same time, the factory presets updated for Cygnus are better than ever as well. I find that my greatest challenge with the latest firmware is not getting great tones, but choosing which one of the hundreds of great sounding options to play. Best of luck to you.

I was planning on buying some of the Austin Buddy stuff and had read that there could be an issue running some of his older stuff with the new OS.
Don't waste money on paid presets until you (a) see how you like the stock presets (hint: they're fantastic and usable out of the box with Fractal gear) and (b) build a few presets of your own.

I'm not suggesting AB's presets in particular are a waste of money if you need them for some particular reason, but I think you'll find that either way, you're gonna have to do some tweaking so there's no sense in spending money. Wait until you're more familiar with your own deficiencies when it comes to building presets; then ask around here for tips. Then, if all else fails and you just can't make a decent preset to save your life, then you might look into paid presets. In the end, though, don't let some rando on the web (me) tell you what to do with your money lol

AB has updated all of his Gold Pack presets for Cygnus and they are fantastic. At the same time, the factory presets updated for Cygnus are better than ever as well. I find that my greatest challenge with the latest firmware is not getting great tones, but choosing which one of the hundreds of great sounding options to play. Best of luck to you.
I'm going to try and pick a few and stick with them to get to know the unit first before I buy any presets. But I love that from watching the videos AB has his stuff set up in with scenes in place already. I'm not big on knob twisting. So find great tones right out of the box works for me.

Reactions: Den
Trev, I was speaking in the generic knob twisting sense. I've been watching lots of videos and edit software looks like the way to go for sure.
I thought you might be talking about in-the-box finagling, which is ok for a minute, but gets real old real quick.

I thought you might be talking about in-the-box finagling, which is ok for a minute, but gets real old real quick.
After about the fourth time I try to go to a sub-menu on the front panel and fat finger it, I walk over to my computer and do it there. The editor is more convenient; It won't do everything but it's close.

Get the unit, do a full backup using Fractal-Bot, which is in the tools menu of FM3-Edit, then click the "Receive Mode" button followed by "Begin" followed by "Ok". It'll merrily start spooling the various buffers to disk. You want a full backup so you can return to that state if you ever need to. This is on p. 100 in the manual, which also says to download Fractal-Bot, but you don't need to as it's already part of the editor. Use the one built into the editor and you'll always have the most up-to-date version. I zip all the backup files into a single archive for easier management; They compress very well.

Then reset the unit back to factory settings and erase all the presets and cabs, which are covered in the manual on p.99. At that point it'll be ready for an install of the latest firmware (Cygnus).

Download the firmware. and read the release notes. ALWAYS read the release notes. p. 101 of the manual covers updating. Use the "Send Mode" button in Fractal-Bot, locate the new firmware file, and click "Begin". It'll send the firmware to the FM3, then pop up an alert. Read it. Be sure to wait at least 5 seconds after powering off the FM3 before powering it back on.

Download the factory presets then watch the video immediately below that message to see how to do it.

At that point your unit will be set up just as it would be from the factory. I'd recommend doing a second backup of everything as a fall-back and compress them also if that's your desire.

Austin Buddy's presets are very good, but I recommend spending some time getting familiar with the unit, going through the factory presets, listening and poking and prodding. Watch Leon Todd's videos and see what you can figure out. That'll set you up to actually use Austin Buddy's presets because you'll have a better idea what needs to be adjusted, otherwise it'll be like sitting down in the pilot's seat of a jet aircraft and trying to figure out how to fly it. I like to see how he does things, then I'll run off and experiment in my own presets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Den
Get the unit, do a full backup using Fractal-Bot, which is in the tools menu of FM3-Edit, then click the "Receive Mode" button followed by "Begin" followed by "Ok". It'll merrily start spooling the various buffers to disk. You want a full backup so you can return to that state if you ever need to. This is on p. 100 in the manual, which also says to download Fractal-Bot, but you don't need to as it's already part of the editor. Use the one built into the editor and you'll always have the most up-to-date version. I zip all the backup files into a single archive for easier management; They compress very well.

Then reset the unit back to factory settings and erase all the presets and cabs, which are covered in the manual on p.99. At that point it'll be ready for an install of the latest firmware (Cygnus).

Download the firmware. and read the release notes. ALWAYS read the release notes. p. 101 of the manual covers updating. Use the "Send Mode" button in Fractal-Bot, locate the new firmware file, and click "Begin". It'll send the firmware to the FM3, then pop up an alert. Read it. Be sure to wait at least 5 seconds after powering off the FM3 before powering it back on.

Download the factory presets then watch the video immediately below that message to see how to do it.

At that point your unit will be set up just as it would be from the factory. I'd recommend doing a second backup of everything as a fall-back and compress them also if that's your desire.

Austin Buddy's presets are very good, but I recommend spending some time getting familiar with the unit, going through the factory presets, listening and poking and prodding. Watch Leon Todd's videos and see what you can figure out. That'll set you up to actually use Austin Buddy's presets because you'll have a better idea what needs to be adjusted, otherwise it'll be like sitting down in the pilot's seat of a jet aircraft and trying to figure out how to fly it. I like to see how he does things, then I'll run off and experiment in my own presets.
I've been putting together a youtube playlist of Leon Todd's stuff. Very informative and easy to follow. Especially if I slow the video down by 25%. I'll pick up a clean zip drive to save to as well. This thread and this group have been incredibly helpful thus far and I really appreciate all of your input. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom