If a guy's standing there, facing you...

Dr. Dipwad

Experienced
The following is in no way scientific. It's just an analogy.

And, this is in no way intended to start another one of those nasty threads where talk about coronavirus goes political. So, please, just don't.

But, I just today heard an analogy intended to encourage mask-wearing (not so much for your own protection, but the protection of others in case you're an asymptomatic carrier), and I loved it. It summed up -- much more succinctly than I could have otherwise done -- the gut instinct that I had back in March when the "public experts" were telling us, "don't wear masks, they don't help and might even hurt" ...and I thought to myself, "Y'know, I'm not sure precisely why, but I'm pretty sure they're either wrong or lying."

Here's the analogy:
If a guy's standing there, facing you, with no pants on, just naked from the waist down,
and he starts urinating in your direction,
your shoes are going to get wet, right?

Now: How would the situation have been different, if he had only been wearing some pants?

(Makes perfect sense to me.)

(Except the part about why there's a guy facing you with no pants on. I'm not sure about that bit, but hey, your business is your business. :cool:)

Last edited:
The following is in no way scientific. It's just an analogy.

And, this is in no way intended to start another one of those nasty threads where talk about coronavirus goes political. So, please, just don't.

But, I just today heard an analogy intended to encourage mask-wearing (not so much for your own protection, but the protection of others in case you're an asymptomatic carrier), and I loved it. It summed up -- much more succinctly than I could have otherwise done -- the gut instinct that I had back in March when the "public experts" were telling us, "don't wear masks, they don't help and might even hurt" ...and I thought to myself, "Y'know, I'm not sure precisely why, but I'm pretty sure they're either wrong or lying."

Here's the analogy:
If a guy's standing there, facing you, with no pants on, just naked from the waste down,
and he starts urinating in your direction,
your shoes are going to get wet, right?

Now: How would the situation have been different, if he had only been wearing some pants?

(Makes perfect sense to me.)

(Except the part about why there's a guy facing you with no pants on. I'm not sure about that bit, but hey, your business is your business. :cool:)
What happens in Vegas.... 🤔

That's quite the interesting analagy, but mask wearing is a complicated business eh! Best to leave such myteries to the scientists eh!

EC1sH2P.jpg

I was having coffee outside with a friend (we're in an exclusive "viral pod" together) sitting about 2.5 feet apart. She was talking, and I felt a drop hit my upper lip. It can be that easy.

There's probably 100s of droplets per minute (ignoring aerosolized mist) that are sprayed at that distance while talking unprotected. Add excitement and laughter and even more pee is exchanged.

Back when all this started I went out and bought one of those masks you use when spray painting with the replaceable filter elements. I had a routine doctors appt. and showed up in that and the staff was all laughing at me. Whose laughing now?
No one, I actually had purchased many of them for disaster emergency kit here in CA as if we had a catastrophic earthquake the air would be unhealthy and such protection will be important.

Because you're playing a gig at the local bar that has 2-for-1 Jungle Juice specials? 🍹🍹

If that happened, any of us would put a ziploc bag on our pedals in a heartbeat. Wearing a mask is a small inconvenience to help keep me and others safe.

I believe in its importance, but the peeing analogy is pretty dumb really.

For the pure kick in the amygdala, what a lot more people need to see is those slow-motion videos of all the spray and spew that people make when they're talking, singing, shouting, coughing, sneezing, etc. Then point out how many gazillion COVIDs can be in each and every one of those droplets.

I vividly remember a documentary from 2009 or so where they filmed a Metallica rehearsal in super-duper slow-mo. You got to watch strings flapping and cymbals rippling like they were made of water as Lars clenched and glowered over them. The real gross-out was the spray from James Hetfield as he, er, vocalized at and past his microphone. I think his comment was "uh, yeah, that's a whole lotta Jaymz going everywhere!"

There are no circumstances under which I would wait around in front of a half naked man.

And I want everyone to wear a mask. :)

Back when all this started I went out and bought one of those masks you use when spray painting with the replaceable filter elements. I had a routine doctors appt. and showed up in that and the staff was all laughing at me. Whose laughing now?

Yes, you were ahead of the curve when you bought N95's for the company before they became more precious than gold. After routine trips to the Dentist and Dr recently, this caution is now normalized. (Although the whole gargling with Hydrogen Peroxide was not the highlight of my day...)

Pretty stupid analogy that in no way shape form or fashion equates to being able to stop a MICROSCOPIC virus that is smaller and lighter than a air molecule.

I'm using my dad's old 1970s asbestos remediation mask with replaceable filter elements. It has the tight rubber membrane around the edge so you get a proper air tight seal and an easily cleanable aluminum housing.

Even though I am in one of the worst hot spots in the US, I haven't gotten the virus.

I agree. Despite the comments, who's laughing now.

Back
Top Bottom