If a guy's standing there, facing you...

Last edited:
Back when all this started I went out and bought one of those masks you use when spray painting with the replaceable filter elements. I had a routine doctors appt. and showed up in that and the staff was all laughing at me. Whose laughing now?
Got the same one.

The following is in no way scientific. It's just an analogy.

And, this is in no way intended to start another one of those nasty threads where talk about coronavirus goes political. So, please, just don't.

But, I just today heard an analogy intended to encourage mask-wearing (not so much for your own protection, but the protection of others in case you're an asymptomatic carrier), and I loved it. It summed up -- much more succinctly than I could have otherwise done -- the gut instinct that I had back in March when the "public experts" were telling us, "don't wear masks, they don't help and might even hurt" ...and I thought to myself, "Y'know, I'm not sure precisely why, but I'm pretty sure they're either wrong or lying."

Here's the analogy:
If a guy's standing there, facing you, with no pants on, just naked from the waste down,
and he starts urinating in your direction,
your shoes are going to get wet, right?

Now: How would the situation have been different, if he had only been wearing some pants?

(Makes perfect sense to me.)

(Except the part about why there's a guy facing you with no pants on. I'm not sure about that bit, but hey, your business is your business. :cool:)
But do you think its right to violently coerce someone to wear pants? Who's job is it to enforce pants wearing?

I just found out today that a good friend from SoCal who has been in ICU for about two weeks passed from COVID. I have been wearing some form of mask in public rver since this began, and limiting how often I go anywhere to the bare minimim. The urge to go and punch anyone I see not wearing a mask and talking about their rights and freedoms is subsiding, but I may need a week or two to really feel like going out in public again without slapping people. This stuff is real and won't go away until everyone starts taking it seriously.

I just found out today that a good friend from SoCal who has been in ICU for about two weeks passed from COVID. I have been wearing some form of mask in public rver since this began, and limiting how often I go anywhere to the bare minimim. The urge to go and punch anyone I see not wearing a mask and talking about their rights and freedoms is subsiding, but I may need a week or two to really feel like going out in public again without slapping people. This stuff is real and won't go away until everyone starts taking it seriously.
Sorry to hear about your friend. :(

Here in Thailand there was already many people, including myself, wearing N95 masks before January 2020, due to the high levels of pollution. Additionally, many Thai people has the habit of using a mask when they catch a cold.

As soon as the COVID-19 outbreak was announced in January, the majority of people starting wearing masks at the streets, public transportation etc. without waiting for any recommendation or mandate from the authorities. Probably because here they have already lived other pandemics like SARS or H1N1.

Current results:
  • More than 50 consecutive days without internal contagions. Only imported and quarantined on arrival
  • 58 deaths
  • 3,250 cases
Two months ago I was visiting my doctor and she said: "Oh! what is happening at your country? [Spain] It is terrible! That happens because you do not want to wear mask!" (she is also a close friend, that is why she took the license to say that)

Last edited:
I trained for bio-containment against nuclear, chemical and biological (viruses) attacks in the US Army. I wore a 30 lb charcoal suit, a gas mask, a hood, 5 lb rubber gloves and heavy rubber boots. We went through an elaborate decontamination process in a sealable chamber.

But I'm sure your bandana works just as well.

I am now concerned about a thread about letting a guy pee on me lasting this long. Dude, find a restroom. Put on some pants. Watch where you pee.

The pants argument fails on the selfish. Who wants to be covered their own pee? NO PANTS FOR ME GOOD SIR!

The pants argument fails on the selfish. Who wants to be covered their own pee? NO PANTS FOR ME GOOD SIR!
I work from home and only do video calls via Zoom. Have been doing that for a few years now. My friends locally always tell me to put my pants on before I leave the house. Just a friendly reminder ya know.

I also get a B12 MIC shot weekly at my naturopath's office. As I was pulling my pants down the other day, I commented "I'm really glad I'm not wearing women's underwear. I wasn't planning on dropping in here for my shot today." They are getting used to my sense of humor there. I also went in there one day with my COVID mask on, but a Donnie Darko type rabbit mask on over it. Being the gentleman I am, I helped my doctor up after she fainted.

Back
Top Bottom