IEMs with Axe-Fx 2 and 3

rustyshed

Inspired
Hi Everyone,

Im just wondering are any iem users adding or changing anything in their presets when using iems.

I find my presets sound great through FRFR and Front of house but not happy with Iem mix.

Can anyone offer some help please?

Thanks

I use IEM's all the time, and don't typically make any adjustments. You can certainly throw an EQ on your IEM mix. If you do adjust for your IEM's, make sure to do it independent of what you're sending to FOH. What buds are you using? I would suggest at least dual drivers, triple drivers if it's in your budget. For me, single driver buds (what normally comes "stock" with most IEM systems) just don't cut it. Also, make sure you're getting a good seal with the buds in your ear. If you're getting live sound bleeding in, it'll make things sound strange.

Just like any speaker in any room, you should EQ your IEM send to adjust for things you don’t like there. IEMs nor anything else sound good exactly the way they are. Usually there’s way too much bass, which takes up the sonic space in your tiny ear canal. Cut that and it might just sound better already.

I use UE Pro 7 and make no changes whatsoever to my presets. It is the same going to FOH as in my ears and it sounds amazing

I also have Shure 535 and they also sound great

Also, make sure you're getting a good seal with the buds in your ear. If you're getting live sound bleeding in, it'll make things sound strange.

Seal, seal, seal. If you're not getting a seal, you're hearing the room too. I'd rather have single driver IEMS with custom mold than a quad driver with poor seal. Sometimes you can get decent seal with triple flange, but I'd recommend the Sensaphonics sleeves that work with universal fit earpieces (Small, medium, large. You go to an audiologist. It's about $200 with the fitting. I'm also a bass singer, so if I don't get a seal I can't hear pitch in the range of the bass guitar & kick drum. Try singing low in a loud environment, while sticking your fingers in the your ears. Notice how you can hear your voice through vibrations through your bones? The moment you lose seal, all the bass and punch disappears. It's science. The smaller the stage and the more microphones you have on in your mix, introduces MORE MIC BLEED. John Petrucci doesn't have vocals in his IEM mix for this reason. It introduces variability from room to room. Running IEM's with FAS gear is the best when you go to FOH, because it's always the same and doesn't introduce bleed. Start using the RTA and tweak presets with the AMP's output EQ and also a parametric at the end of the chain, if you have problematic eq. Talk to your FOH sound engineer and if they need to further EQ your sound and why, record your sound, use a looper and go out front...LISTEN

Hi Everyone,

Im just wondering are any iem users adding or changing anything in their presets when using iems.

I find my presets sound great through FRFR and Front of house but not happy with Iem mix.

Can anyone offer some help please?

Thanks
I use Out 1 for stage, Out 2 for FOH. I use a PEQ block in front of each Out, to mold my sound going to the FOH. I usually drop everything below 90 or 100hz and above 6k to 8k, depending on the subs and top speakers. Some subs are too boomy and some PA tops have too loud of HF drivers. My ears signal is sent back to my personal IEM amp from FOH. The FOH mixing console is configured for our individual preferred ear mix, and EQ'd to tighten up bass, get rid of piercing highs etc. If you are going direct to your ears from the AXE, you can use a PEQ or GEQ right before your second output, to get the tone you like.
And it depends on the In Ears you are using. And as stated a good seal is important. I have 1 pair molded and another with tips, I use the largest Shure yellow EAYLF-1 tips for the best seal.

Everything goes into our X32Rack, THEN to FOH via a splitter snake. That rack also houses the bands IEM xmitters and our WAP (router).
I get the same "tone" in my IEM's ('64 A8's) as goes to FOH and don't change the EQ for my mix.
I control my own mix (as do the rest of us) via remote device (tablet/iPad).
I DO have the ability to change the overall EQ on the mixbus, but I generally leave it flat.

For sure get custom molds done, huge bang for the buck. Every patient I’ve done them on as said they experienced a huge benefit in sound quality and fit/comfort.

Using IEM’s without custom molds is like putting cheap discount tires on a high performance sports car; it’s going to severely limit the performance.

Also make sure your audiologist knows if you do vocals as well will want to do impressions with your jaw open as well. Gives a much better fit as some people’s external auditory canal changes shape their mouth open

Back
Top Bottom