IEM's anyone?

IEM's (In Ear Monitoring)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't gig with them, but I love my Westone UM2's. I've had them for several years, used them for tracking and some jamming and everyday listening. They've been rock solid.

4) My in ears are solid acrylic, custom fit, but I do sometimes lose the seal if I'm really moving around and/or singing. I believe this is because of jaw flex. I'm thinking about replacing these with a set from 1964 with silicone tips to help maintain that seal.

Mine are also solid acrylic and also experience that loss of seal once in a while. My wife got the silicone tips and has trouble at times getting them inserted because the tips bend. I think she likes them overall but has said at times that she wished she didn't get the soft tips. But of course she has never tried the solid acrylic and she might really not like the occasional loss of seal. :) Just food for thought.

The guy I get mine done from owns his own hearing aid shop and said that it's overkill to over a 2 driver set... What do you guys think that have more than 2 drivers?

The guy I get mine done from owns his own hearing aid shop and said that it's overkill to over a 2 driver set... What do you guys think that have more than 2 drivers?

I'm curious about doubles too. I have the triple driver Shure's but I've heard the doubles do just fine too.

I have two pairs of westones - UM3X that are my 'stay at home' IEMs that are used for jamming, listening both critically and casually, etc. I have a pair of Westone 4R IEMs as well. I've used the UM3X for about three years, nearly four I think. My original pair had the cable short at the earpiece after two and a half years. I called and asked about a possible repair knowing they were full well out of warranty. I was given a RMA# and instructions and off they went. A week or so later I was emailed/called saying they were unrepairable and that they would offer me a (heavily) discounted replacement as they were sorry I'd had the issues. I opted for the 4R set as the replacement and received another's UM3Xs in a gear swap deal.

Now that thats out of the way, I love both. The UM3Xs have a nice midrange. Very very silky for vocals, acoustics, pianos, etc. I love listening with them. The 4Rs are more hi-fi sounding. Crystal clear, tight, I believe a more narrow soundstage. I've used them about 6 months now.

I don't know if I'd ever willingly go back to stage monitors, honestly. I'm a BIG westone fan after 6 years using In ears (sennheiser, Shure, Westone, etc) and can safely say without a doubt I've never heard what I needed any better, with non-ear splitting or headache inducing volumes. I'd HIGHLY recommend anyone try it for four to six weeks to get a grasp on it and adjust to it. It is entirely different, and I believe a step in the right direction for nearly anyone.

As always, YMMV, IMO, etc.

Last night was my first chance running IEMs with my hard rock band. I attempted a run with them a long time ago (pre-AxeFX) but was not satisfied. Last night was awesome. We have 4 separate mixes we run from our board. I'm the solo guitar player and do backup vocals at times. Everything sounded great. I'm only using an inexpensive pair of isolating earbuds so I can only imagine how higher end setups sound. I was borrowing my bass player's IEM setup so I'll end up having to get my own. Very impressed and will continue to monitor this thread for other suggestions on decent gear.
Joe

I'd HIGHLY recommend anyone try it for four to six weeks to get a grasp on it and adjust to it.

It took four to six minutes for us!

As posted previously though, already coming from 'silent stage', no backline and triggered drums certainly helped lessen any initial culture shock
thumbsup.gif

I have used Westone ES5s for years. I always equated more Drivers to "Better". Not the case. Its all about seal and how much output you need. I recently bought a pair of Sensaphonic 3D AARO IEMs in the dual-driver model. They are all soft silicone. Very comfortable and wow what a bass response. Plus since I have the dialed-in ambient sound of the crowd I can finally keep both ears in! I still keep my Westones in my bag (you never know when you will need them) and I use them for running and on the airplane. A good fitting is imperative!

I just ordered a pair of the 1964 Ears V6-Stages. Seen some excellent reviews on them. Delivery is about 4-5 weeks out, but I'll be sure to come back and give a review when I get them.

https://www.1964ears.com/stores/product/31

Did you get your IEM's yet? I am also considering purchasing V6 or V8's, and only considering the V8's because I baby my gear, and those will probably last me a very long time - so why not spend a few dollars extra and get the best ones.

Eager to hear your report, or anyone's reports that have actually used different brands and can compare them to each other.

We have an audiologist at my church that will do the molds at no charge if you volunteer in the band. That's usually close to $100 to have done here in this market, so that is a huge help too.

I recently got the tripple driver Alien Ears and I am very impressed! It was $390 and worth every bit coin.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

I just got my 1964 Ears V6 last week, and I'm loving them. Very balanced sounding, and it's amazing how much outside noise they block out. Paid $699 for them, and they're worth every penny. Won't ever go back to stage monitors.

Back
Top Bottom