IEM volume on solo or boost

Wow, Thanks so much to all who have commented!.
I like the idea of the routing solution, where the FOH (out 2) gets a slight volume boost and my in ears can get just a little if needed.
I will have someone I trust listen at practice to see how much my lead/solo parts stand out in the FOH.
As some have said, it may be too much, But I have never got any complaints from either the sound person or audience members.

Have you tried a room mic so you can keep both in? Definitely hitting your right ear hard and over time the imbalance will throw off your daily equilibrium. Careful!
I've been wanting to give that a shot! Unfortunately, haven't had time to try it out...still fighting pa setup issues with other bandmate.

I've been wanting to give that a shot! Unfortunately, haven't had time to try it out...still fighting pa setup issues with other bandmate.
it's easy. stick really any mic somewhere in the room. don't send it to mains, just to whoever's IEMs you want at the level that works. condensers are probably better, but in a pinch i've used a SM58. just need an open channel.

it's easy. stick really any mic somewhere in the room. don't send it to mains, just to whoever's IEMs you want at the level that works. condensers are probably better, but in a pinch i've used a SM58. just need an open channel.
Have you found some areas work better than others for the mic? How do you mount it so a drunk doesn't start singing in to it?:rolleyes:

Have you found some areas work better than others for the mic? How do you mount it so a drunk doesn't start singing in to it?:rolleyes:
definitely play around with placement. depends what you want to hear actually. if it's a crowd or ambient mic, don't put it right next to drums. put it up high, or super low or something out of the way. you can even cover it up with a case or whatever just so it's not visually easy to spot.

consider that vocal mics are always on and let some ambience in when someone isn't singing on it. it's the same concept, just gain-staged for the background noise. you'll have to see where it can go in your setup, but really anywhere could work and let some natural room verb in.

I have an output block to just my ears that don't get the boost but I have an output block for my FRFR's and one for a cab and one for FOH and they all get boosted for solos. Works perfect.

+1 for using separate output blocks. I use Out1 for IEM and Out2 for FOH. I control levels using a combination of amp level and scene level. I’ve found that certain sounds just don’t translate to both IEM and FOH. In those cases, I use the scene levels to get each output just right. I also use separate blocks of delay and reverb that are tailored to each output. With this approach I can enjoy some awesome stereo effects in my IEM that would muddy things up too much in FOH. Bottom line, this makes me play better. Or at least FEEL like I’m playing better, haha.

Anything specific to use for ambient crowd mics? Will 57s work, or would a pair of condenser mics be more appropriate?

Anything specific to use for ambient crowd mics? Will 57s work, or would a pair of condenser mics be more appropriate?
it's just an open mic. use what you have and what will deliver what you want from this. you probably don't need a stereo mix of ambience.

Applause and crowd participation (multitracked) is a beautiful thing on a live recording; otherwise, it can sound a bit flat. Just personal preference. Anyway, I looked thru my stuff and found a nice pair of LDCs that I can use. Our band is just a trio and we only use 10 channels for live recording, so using a pair of mics for ambience is no issue.

Last time I recorded this band, we were 2 XLR cables short of using ambience mics so I had to edit crowd noise from our vocal and drum mics AND move that noise to other new tracks in Logic, then mix/edit it so that it sounded ‘natural’. That was a major PITA, so I look forward to having dedicated ambience tracks.

Thanks for all the concern and advice, really appreciated. I don't go loud in my IEMs anyway, they are custom made to fit my ear and cancel out ambient noise, so I can go low volume and still hear the guitar very well.

I like the idea of an ambient mic on stage and might try that, in order to feed that signal to the left channel of my IEMs and then set the receiver to mono for a total mix.

Anyways, a nice day to all !

Cheers, Todde :cool:

+1 for using separate output blocks. I use Out1 for IEM and Out2 for FOH. I control levels using a combination of amp level and scene level. I’ve found that certain sounds just don’t translate to both IEM and FOH. In those cases, I use the scene levels to get each output just right. I also use separate blocks of delay and reverb that are tailored to each output. With this approach I can enjoy some awesome stereo effects in my IEM that would muddy things up too much in FOH. Bottom line, this makes me play better. Or at least FEEL like I’m playing better, haha.

So I think this will be my solution! Now...

Is this method able to be performed with The Axe II XL+ and the AX8?
Thanks

I use out 1 to my on stage FRFR, out 2 (copy from out1) to FOH and out 3 to IEMs. I find that I need to eq my IEM signal, add an enhancer and adjust scene levels a bit on out3.

I use out 1 to my on stage FRFR, out 2 (copy from out1) to FOH and out 3 to IEMs. I find that I need to eq my IEM signal, add an enhancer and adjust scene levels a bit on out3.
i always EQ any speaker, including IEMs. i do this from my mixer though, and EQ everyone's IEMs. no speaker sounds perfect flat, so i don't think any IEMs should either.

do you also mix the band into your IEM somehow? just curious. i've heard of people only putting their guitar (or whatever) in IEMs only and don't understand how that would work during a gig.

I have the westone ambient ears and I only have my guitar in stereo and my vocals plus an ambient mic to hear the band and crowd. it works great for me.

i always EQ any speaker, including IEMs. i do this from my mixer though, and EQ everyone's IEMs. no speaker sounds perfect flat, so i don't think any IEMs should either.

do you also mix the band into your IEM somehow? just curious. i've heard of people only putting their guitar (or whatever) in IEMs only and don't understand how that would work during a gig.
Yes, out3 actually goes to a XR18 rack mixer and we get individual outs from there of the whole mix. I just like to keep everything flat in terms of eq on the rack mixer in case we need to use a house system at a particular venue. Mixing our own IEMs also requires XLR splitters to send to FOH and it’s too bulky a setup for some venues.

Yes, out3 actually goes to a XR18 rack mixer and we get individual outs from there of the whole mix. I just like to keep everything flat in terms of eq on the rack mixer in case we need to use a house system at a particular venue. Mixing our own IEMs also requires XLR splitters to send to FOH and it’s too bulky a setup for some venues.
yeah makes sense, i was just commenting on supporting the EQ of IEMs in general. just mentioning how i do it.

why can't every venue just have what we need haha

Back
Top Bottom