IEM Systems-What do you use/recommend?

I don't use in ears often because I prefer wedges but when I do I go wired.

The difference between the G3 wireless (that I sold) and wired was amazing.

I would recommend trying wired to get used to in ears and to pick your in ears before you go wireless. Wired let's you evaluate the in ears the best.

Then you can choose your wireless (and go back to wired like me lol)
What wired gear do you use/recommend?

I'm just curious about the G3 as it's been out for a few years now and there have been quite a few strides made in wireless tech. Full disclosure, I work for a national reseller and I get a decent discount on IEM systems. The Shure is more expensive and I just want to justify the added expense over the G3, if it's worth it.
I have never tried the 900.. used Carvin, PSM200, 300.
I have no issues with my G3 and I play in mostly metro areas with multiple TV stations...
Whichever vendor you choose to go with, pick the relevant frequency band for your area - those that have the most free channels.
SENN: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support-frequency-finder
SHURE: http://www.shure.com/americas/support/tools/wireless-frequency-finder

My areas best "band" was G. YMMV

64 audio. JH audio. Alien Ears.
My old drummer had Alien Ears triples.. had to send them back twice for BA failures and busted internal wiring.. Spent more time without them, due to turnaround and poor customer service.. They had been on my shortlist before going with 1964 Qi's 2.5 yrs ago..
I doubt I would go with them now. My A8's sound great and I retained the Qi's as backups.
I bought a custom cable (shameless plug here) from BTG Audio - the Midnight CIEM.
There IS a lead time for them, but VERY excellent cable.. W-A-Y better than the stock cable. I was on my third stock cable in 2.5 yrs (but with much use). I put a straight-end 1/8" jack on the end of the BTG Midnight cable - makes for easier connect/removal on my G3 body-pak versus the standard right angle jack. Fits my phone better too!

My other guitar player has UE7's (triples, $850 base price) and a G3.. he loves them, because they are voiced for guitar.

Guys, I'll put in a plug for the Mipro wireless gear. Mike V at Freq City convinced me to try it, and Mipro really is killer.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/...ue_digital_wireless_in-ear-monitoring_system/

InEarGear has the Mipro 909 digital IEM system for $799. http://ineargear.com/wireless/mipromi909digital.html

I have been using the 808 for 5 years now and it's been 100% fantastic... My buddy recently upgraded from 808 to 909 and loves it... I might pull an upgrade later in the year but my 808s are still going strong... hundreds of shows with ZERO hiccups.

I'm using mipro IEM 808 system. It has work flawlessly for me also. Not the big names as Shure or Sennheiser, but I feel they are right up there if not better. As far as in ears. Im using jh audio custom, but saving up for some 64 audio. Ultimate ears is also great also. But 64 audio has this Adel/Apex technology that I feel that will benefit me. Check them out.

I've heard some great things about the Mipro gear, but have never tried/used it.
The 909 is in the same price range that one can find the Senn G3 (if you look) with the major difference being the available bands and the antenna use (mipro had 2, G3 uses the wire in your IEM cable as secondary antenna).

The 909 has:

5E -- 480-544 Mhz.
F5 -- 540-604 Mhz

The G3 has:
A1 -- 470-516 Mhz
A -- 516-558 Mhz
G -- 556-608 Mhz
B -- 626-668 Mh
z

They also used to have (DISCONTINUED) other ranges available until the FFC removed the spectrum
C -- 734-776-608 Mhz
D -- 780-822 Mhz
E -- 823-865 Mhz

With ANY wireless IEM system - check the available frequencies in your area.. and CHOOSE the band that has the most open (VACANT) frequencies.

Last edited:
My old drummer had Alien Ears triples.. had to send them back twice for BA failures and busted internal wiring.. Spent more time without them, due to turnaround and poor customer service.. They had been on my shortlist before going with 1964 Qi's 2.5 yrs ago..
I doubt I would go with them now. My A8's sound great and I retained the Qi's as backups.
I bought a custom cable (shameless plug here) from BTG Audio - the Midnight CIEM.
There IS a lead time for them, but VERY excellent cable.. W-A-Y better than the stock cable. I was on my third stock cable in 2.5 yrs (but with much use). I put a straight-end 1/8" jack on the end of the BTG Midnight cable - makes for easier connect/removal on my G3 body-pak versus the standard right angle jack. Fits my phone better too!

My other guitar player has UE7's (triples, $850 base price) and a G3.. he loves them, because they are voiced for guitar.
Just curious... If there's a cable that fits all of these different IEMs, would Westone's bluetooth cable adapter work with, say, 64 Audio A-series? Because that'd be exercise heaven...

Just curious... If there's a cable that fits all of these different IEMs, would Westone's bluetooth cable adapter work with, say, 64 Audio A-series? Because that'd be exercise heaven...
Not that I know of, no! They are all proprietary, tho after market vendors do make replacement cables. It's the IEM connector ends that differ, tho' a few do use the same 2-pin connector that's on the 1964's.
I haven't checked recently, but IIRC, UE, 1964, Alien all use the same connector.
I may be wrong about that, so PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK
You might find a listing over at headfi.org

And.. bluetooth has too much latency to be used in the types of wireless devices.

Not that I know of, no! They are all proprietary, tho after market vendors do make replacement cables. It's the IEM connector ends that differ, tho' a few do use the same 2-pin connector that's on the 1964's.
I haven't checked recently, but IIRC, UE, 1964, Alien all use the same connector.
I may be wrong about that, so PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK
You might find a listing over at headfi.org

And.. bluetooth has too much latency to be used in the types of wireless devices.
I'm talking just for listening. Imagine listening hands-free to your customs while working out? For me, fidelity is always important when it comes to just listening to music.

I'm talking just for listening. Imagine listening hands-free to your customs while working out? For me, fidelity is always important when it comes to just listening to music.
sorry. did not get that from your prior post.. idk about that aspect of BT.
I suggest you go to headfi.org and do a search.. if it's possible, they'll be talking about it..

But the bud-end connectors DO differ from vendor to vendor, tho IIRC, there are about 3-5 standard formats..

I've heard some great things about the Mipro gear, but have never tried/used it.
The 909 is in the same price range that one can find the Senn G3 (if you look) with the major difference being the available bands and the antenna use (mipro had 2, G3 uses the wire in your IEM cable as secondary antenna).

keep in mind, the Mipro 909 is all-digital, so there's no companding of the audio signal.

Are there audio improvements from the cable or just for reliability?

Are there audio improvements from the cable or just for reliability?
idk.. nothing distinctly audible, 'cus I ordered it so it would arrive at the same time as my A8's.
I haven't tried them with the stock cable - so no control item against which to compare...
But yes.. nice strong sheathed cable.. should work much longer than the stock one.

Back
Top Bottom