IEM Systems-What do you use/recommend?

What does the ADEL thing do, ambient bleed? Wouldn't I want the opposite, maximum isolation?

In theory, it prevents static pressure build-up in the ear canal, something that can give ear fatique and hearing loss. The isolation is still good at -18 dB. It is a bit less isolation than other systems provide.

I haven't found one yet that doesn't sound like an AM radio from the 70's. Of course, I haven't spent $12K yet either.

Anybody have any of the new Westone Am Pros? I use Shure 315 IEM with a Shure wireless. I am yet to make through an hour with both in my ears. I tend to pull one for more ambient sound. Saw these have been getting good reviews. It is supposed to let ambient sound in but keep the low end.

Anybody have any of the new Westone Am Pros? I use Shure 315 IEM with a Shure wireless. I am yet to make through an hour with both in my ears. I tend to pull one for more ambient sound. Saw these have been getting good reviews. It is supposed to let ambient sound in but keep the low end.
I spoke to one of the Westone reps about their UP and coming stuff. People are liking the AM's so much that they're going to incorporate them into their customs.

Last edited:
I haven't found one yet that doesn't sound like an AM radio from the 70's. Of course, I haven't spent $12K yet either.
If that's what you are putting into it, that's what you'll get out. If not, and that's what it sounds like, then something is wrong somewhere. Ears, buds, wireless unit, feeds, inputs.

My G3/A8's system gives me better audio than my wired system at home.. and I sure don't have $12k invested in either.

decent buds and a decent wireless, sounds 101010 times better than a shitty monitor mix that you cant hear anything but your amp beaming your eardrums. We use and x32 mixer, and a few are on sennheisers, a few on carvins, and it sounds amazing to me. I love being able to hear exactly what I want.

decent buds and a decent wireless, sounds 101010 times better than a shitty monitor mix that you cant hear anything but your amp beaming your eardrums. We use and x32 mixer, and a few are on sennheisers, a few on carvins, and it sounds amazing to me. I love being able to hear exactly what I want.
I have a Shure PSM 300. Had in in 2 different bands. Maybe it is defective, but it has absolutely no bass and a razor sharp treble no matter how the eq is set. Paid $700 dollars for that. A few things I have read is that you have to spend at least 2-3k for decent ones.

I have a Shure PSM 300. Had in in 2 different bands. Maybe it is defective, but it has absolutely no bass and a razor sharp treble no matter how the eq is set. Paid $700 dollars for that. A few things I have read is that you have to spend at least 2-3k for decent ones.
Negative. I have friends that use the psm300 and they love it. Granted, they're using custom molds but just triples. There's something going on with your mix or you don't have a tight seal on your buds.

A lack of low-end is often a sign of a bad seal on the ear buds.

I also use the PSM300, and although I don't think, the sound is as good as a wired, with a little work on my aux send limiter, it sounds perfectly OK

man no low end sounds like a bad seal. I got some custom molds triple drivers for 400ish, can get dual auclairs for 250. had to be the seal.

I don't use in ears often because I prefer wedges but when I do I go wired.

The difference between the G3 wireless (that I sold) and wired was amazing.

I would recommend trying wired to get used to in ears and to pick your in ears before you go wireless. Wired let's you evaluate the in ears the best.

Then you can choose your wireless (and go back to wired like me lol)

Wired will always sound better because of companding, and what is happening to the signal. the benefits of wireless are obvious, all of which outweigh being chained down. i'm ok with a little less fidelity so i dont trip and step on cables all night. IMHO.

Have you had the chance to compare this to the Sennheiser EW300 G3? My toss up is between those 2.

I use the Sennheiser EW300. My only issue with them is interference. I use the A-band, but the B-band we also use hardly ever has interference. I've finally found a frequency that seems to work pretty well with the A-band now. I haven't had any interference problems in the last few shows.

Before you buy, make sure you check out the frequencies used in your area first and then buy the band that has fewer used frequencies. Most of the frequency space is shared with over-the-air digital TV. If I would have consulted these charts first, I never would have bought the A-band, which is really full in my area. All of the manufacturers should have an online utility to check this. I know Sennheiser has one.

Wired will always sound better because of companding, and what is happening to the signal. the benefits of wireless are obvious, all of which outweigh being chained down. i'm ok with a little less fidelity so i dont trip and step on cables all night. IMHO.

I play with my guitar wired too lol I just prefer the way it sounds.

Well, my band is (are?) 1964 Ears endorsing artists.. so I'm a tad biased on 1964... but I had been using Qi's for about 2 yrs prior to that happening - and absolutely loved them.. upgraded to the A8's w/ the endorsement.. Awesome IEM's.. took a bit of getting used to as the ADEL tech almost makes them behave like IEM's w/ ambient ports...
I'd buy another set in a heart beat..

I also love my G3 wireless.. yes, I took lots of twists and turns to get there and they are not cheap - but neither is the Axe.
I gig frequently for a weekend warrior (75 gigs in 2015 - haven't tallied this year yet).. so the $$ was worth, and I get pristine audio night after night. We use IEM's no matter the set up.. My mix is 95% consistent gig to gig.. The xmitters are in the same rack as the console. We power jup and go..
I'm just curious about the G3 as it's been out for a few years now and there have been quite a few strides made in wireless tech. Full disclosure, I work for a national reseller and I get a decent discount on IEM systems. The Shure is more expensive and I just want to justify the added expense over the G3, if it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom