IEM Systems-What do you use/recommend?

ghost219

Inspired
Everyone talks about FRFR's and powered monitors but what about the guys that are IEM'd up? I haven't found an updated review site for IEM systems. I know about the Shure PSM series 300-900, Audio Technica M3, AKG IVM 4500, and the Sennheiser G3. They all offer unique features at differing price points.

How do those features work for you? Could you gig without those features or find a workaround?

Cheers,
Ghost219

I've been using a Galaxy IEM system with Shure SE215s and its pretty nice, the Galaxy has been surprisingly reliable considering the price, and sounds the same as the Sennheiser my friend had altho the sennheisser had a nicer beltpack. built better.

Also its always better to use a stereo mix in-ears

Aviom 360 with JH Audio JH-16s. We use wired IEMs for everyone but worship leader and backup vox. Would like to try a wireless iem and guitar rig sometime.

Senn g3 + 64 audio A3's for me and love them so far - both on advise of local salespeople, but seemed to fit with internet options too.

If you want to gig with them, I would go with custom moulds.
I have the generic IEM's that came with the G3 unit and they are great by themselves, but they don't offer the isolation or comfort needed for hours of use on a stage.

Senn g3 + 64 audio A3's for me and love them so far - both on advise of local salespeople, but seemed to fit with internet options too.

If you want to gig with them, I would go with custom moulds.
I have the generic IEM's that came with the G3 unit and they are great by themselves, but they don't offer the isolation or comfort needed for hours of use on a stage.
I'm def saving up for molds. The 64 Audio stuff seems like the best with the ADEL technology.

Separate the purchase decision into three parts:
  1. The in-ear monitors (IEMs)
  2. The transmission system
  3. The monitor mixer
You can (and should) buy these separately.

http://ineargear.com/
I'm buying the system first since it'll come with some decent buds (the one I have in mind) and then, saving up for the phones. The mixer isn't a big deal because of digital boards.

I got the Shure PSM300 because I called Shure Canada, and the sales rep said it had the same frequency response as the PSM900, at a much lower cost. I got the 'better version' with the metal recover case. Came with Shure SE215's, and I love them. One thing that led me to getting the PSM300's was that I was already using the Shure ULXD4 for my wireless mic and wireless guitar, and I had never had a dropout...and I love the proprietary batteries - 8 hours of usage.......now I have 3 units all using the same batteries.

I'm buying the system first since it'll come with some decent buds (the one I have in mind) and then, saving up for the phones. The mixer isn't a big deal because of digital boards.
I went buds first, along with this:
www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/guitar-headphone-cable/
11' is a bit short, but it worked well enough until the G3 system arrived

Be careful it the generic iem's - you might need to get the volume up really loud to hear over the drums and other things around you on stage (because of the lack of isolation).

I have been running a cabled IEMsetup for years with the Shure SE315s. It sounded good. Then I went wireless and got the PSM300. It doesn't sound nearly as good as my wired setup, it seems to have a quite limited dynamic range. But it works, and it is OK, I cannot compare it to any other transmitter.

I just got a pair of Shure SE535. Wow, they sound really good. Today, I will get my ears molded. We have a company that makes aftermarket molds for the Shure systems.

I have a pair of Shure 215's but they are not comfortable to wear for a few hours. Looking at getting custom Alien Ears.

Anyone used the new CAD wireless? Looks like it fairly cheap for a wireless system.

For guitar/vocals I really love my Shure SE 425 inears. 2-way drivers, IMHO the best bang for the buck in its price range. The 315 may have more bass....but for guitars the 425 are hard to beat for the money.
The sound Isolation is absolutely fine, if you don't use too loud backline on stage...

Over the last 7 yrs, I have run the gamut of wired IEM's with cheap buds to wireless with TOTL custom buds.
Current rig is Senn G3 with 1964 A8's.
But I've been thru Carvin and Shure wireless systems and various cheapo buds thru Westone and 1964 Ears customs, as well as extensive use of Aviom and B*ringer P16 systems.

If there's one thing I recommend out of all that - is get the BEST multiple-driver custom-mold buds you can afford, and get a decent wireless system.
As mentioned above, separate the IEM's from the wireless system. Altho they all come with them and are usable, most all-in-one wireless systems include usable (but not great) single-driver buds.

Single driver buds generally don't provide the sound stage nor instrument separation that multiple-driver IEM's do, and that is then compounded by a mono feed. IMHO - at MINIMUM - dual drivers.. preferably triple (for clarity, separation and definition) along with a STEREO IEM mix.

Universal or customs is also your choice.. some get great fit and seal with universals.. Those have never worked for me (small canals) and the customs provide the both fit and seal along with the isolation that lets you monitor at LOWER VOLUMES. IF the seal is bad, you'll need to crank the volume to compensate.

How many drivers is too many? idk! My singer has 12 and loves them, while drummer uses 3, I have 8 and other guitar player has 6.

I look at it this way.. you wouldn't play your Axe gear thru cheap/low-quality monitors or speakers , why would you want to put those in your ear ???

Over the last 7 yrs, I have run the gamut of wired IEM's with cheap buds to wireless with TOTL custom buds.
Current rig is Senn G3 with 1964 A8's.
But I've been thru Carvin and Shure wireless systems and various cheapo buds thru Westone and 1964 Ears customs, as well as extensive use of Aviom and B*ringer P16 systems.

If there's one thing I recommend out of all that - is get the BEST multiple-driver custom-mold buds you can afford, and get a decent wireless system.
As mentioned above, separate the IEM's from the wireless system. Altho they all come with them and are usable, most all-in-one wireless systems include usable (but not great) single-driver buds.

Single driver buds generally don't provide the sound stage nor instrument separation that multiple-driver IEM's do, and that is then compounded by a mono feed. IMHO - at MINIMUM - dual drivers.. preferably triple (for clarity, separation and definition) along with a STEREO IEM mix.

Universal or customs is also your choice.. some get great fit and seal with universals.. Those have never worked for me (small canals) and the customs provide the both fit and seal along with the isolation that lets you monitor at LOWER VOLUMES. IF the seal is bad, you'll need to crank the volume to compensate.

How many drivers is too many? idk! My singer has 12 and loves them, while drummer uses 3, I have 8 and other guitar player has 6.

I look at it this way.. you wouldn't play your Axe gear thru cheap/low-quality monitors or speakers , why would you want to put those in your ear ???
That's a damn fine point. I'm hoping to get some A12 64 ears by the end of the year because of Michael Brauer :D I'm honestly just torn on the system to get.

That's a damn fine point. I'm hoping to get some A12 64 ears by the end of the year because of Michael Brauer :D I'm honestly just torn on the system to get.
Well, my band is (are?) 1964 Ears endorsing artists.. so I'm a tad biased on 1964... but I had been using Qi's for about 2 yrs prior to that happening - and absolutely loved them.. upgraded to the A8's w/ the endorsement.. Awesome IEM's.. took a bit of getting used to as the ADEL tech almost makes them behave like IEM's w/ ambient ports...
I'd buy another set in a heart beat..

I also love my G3 wireless.. yes, I took lots of twists and turns to get there and they are not cheap - but neither is the Axe.
I gig frequently for a weekend warrior (75 gigs in 2015 - haven't tallied this year yet).. so the $$ was worth, and I get pristine audio night after night. We use IEM's no matter the set up.. My mix is 95% consistent gig to gig.. The xmitters are in the same rack as the console. We power jup and go..

I've been using 1964ears V6s for 5-6 months now, and they sound great. For wireless we went with Audio Technica M3L because our bassist was already using one and liked it. I'm not sold... It's ok, but bypassing the wireless gets a better sound quality. I'm not sure how dependant that is on the particular wireless, but I will definitely investigate other units in the future.

The digital mixer we are using is the Mackie DL32R which is pretty flexible and sounds great. We can run 7 stereo AUX mixes for IEMs (or 6 if we need to use Main L/R outs).

Back
Top Bottom