IEM routing question

Rob13

Does anybody take an aux/bus send from their mixer (I use an XR18) into input 2 or 3, then send Outputs 1 (FOH) & 2 (mix bus) to a wireless IEM transmitter (PSM300)? If so, any tips on setting this up or reasons for/against? Thanks!

Hopefully, a more easily understood example:

Input 1 - guitar
Input 2 - Aux/Bus send from XR18
Output 1 to FOH
Output 2 Aux/Bus from XR18 to PSM300 (no guitar)
Output 3 mirrors Output 1 (guitar only) to PSM300

To your IEM transmitter? Not thru your AXE-FX?
Why through the axe? What advantages are you looking for? Technically you could but it’s more cables and preset setup.

The IEM transmitter is near the mixer and the mix including guitar goes there.

Thank you, @chris, for responding.

Advantages...hmm, well, the PSM takes phone plugs for inputs, the XR18 sends thru XLR, so I need a TRS to XLR adapter/cable (I have one). So, the only "advantage" I can see is that I would just use an XLR directly from the XR to the AXE-FX III, which would in turn feed both FOH & the PSM. Since my PSM lives in the same case as my III, those would stay connected all the time. The mixer is in a separate rack.

If there are other advantages, or any disadvantages, I'd love to hear them. I previously had an AX8 & just ran that to FOH & XLR/TRS back to the PSM.

Edited to add I think I read @yek does (or did) something like what I'm describing.

Advantages I could see are easy physical knob adjustment balancing guitar and band mix from the axe. Hmm that’s all actually. As I mentioned your presets all have to have the I/O setup, and it’s more cables to run.

Your idea can definitely work. Just depends what you want to put up with to run it that way.

i just get a mix from the mixer and can edit it with an iPad if needed. Volume on the receiver of course for overall level. Either way works.

My rig is much more complicated...
Input 1 is instrument input from Shure GLXD.
Input 3 is IEM mix from X32 (stereo).
Input 4 is 4CM amp send, set in amp part of patch.
Output 1 (after cab blocks) is used for IEM, it is connected to PSM300. I did it that way to have possibility to use backing tracks from USB or X32, I can work with IEM or headphones connected to from of III.
Output 2 (after cab block) is going to FOH, or in my case to splitter in X32 rack that goes to FOH and to X32.
Output 3 is 4CM amp return, that is my PA. Out block is set before cab blocks in patch.
Output 4 is 4CM amp in, it is inside patch prior to input 4.

I have also switch and potentiometer connected to pedal inputs of III, that switching on and off patch signal to out 1 (I can have IEM mix just from X32 or additionally mixed with patch signal) and regulating signal to IEM level (pot at 50% is 100% of both).

All patches I use have the "IEM module" (for routing IEM), all of them works without amp, so my GK amp is an option.

All that gives me lot of flexibility for playing (IEM, headphones, PA), and modularity - amp is in separate rack. Maybe there is few more cables inside the rack, but actually I am finding pleasure in building racks, I have also built 16U IEM/studio rack form my band.

The II form the picture taken at home is actually in use by my band fellow, it is on top of X32 rack.

Attachments

• IMG_6848.jpeg
    IMG_6848.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6658.jpeg
    IMG_6658.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
Does anybody take an aux/bus send from their mixer (I use an XR18) into input 2 or 3, then send Outputs 1 (FOH) & 2 (mix bus) to a wireless IEM transmitter (PSM300)? If so, any tips on setting this up or reasons for/against? Thanks!

Hopefully, a more easily understood example:

Input 1 - guitar
Input 2 - Aux/Bus send from XR18
Output 1 to FOH
Output 2 Aux/Bus from XR18 to PSM300 (no guitar)
Output 3 mirrors Output 1 (guitar only) to PSM300

I do something similar:
Input 1 - guitar
Input 2 - Aux/Bus send from whatever the venue gives me (band only, no guitar)
Output 1 to FOH
Output 4 - Shure PSM 900

On the the grid, I use a mixer block and mix together my Axe-Fx guitar signal going to Out 1 and what is coming in to Input 2. This goes to Out 4 which is my IEM setup. I put the mix controls on the performance page on the Axe-Fx so it's easy to dial in during sound check.

The downside currently is that the mixer block isn't global. So this works well for a single patch. For some gigs this is fine. But others times I need to use multiple patches and the mixer wouldn't be saved across changes. Others have pointed out I could use different blocks that support global instead of the mixer to achieve the same thing. Then you could adjust the levels during sound check and save and all presets would have the changes via global block.

I mainly do this because it sounds the best. I have had occasions where I just took the full band mix from the board into my IEM's, and the guitar just didn't sound that great to me. With this setup, the guitar tones always sound the same to me. And even though I may only send FOH mono, I can still hear things in stereo in my ears.

Back
Top Bottom