IEM in Aussie land

I'm in the US, but I want in on the conversation.

So is the general consensus is that the Sure PSM 300 is a really good sounding system? I ask because I own and (try to) use the Carvin EM 900 system and in my opinion they are just crap.

It's not the earbuds that are so horrible, but the receiver/transmitter setup. I plug headphones or earbuds direct into the board, or the headphone jack of the transmitter, and the sound is ok. But at the wireless receiver, the sound is dull, muddy, and just horrible overall. There is some noise and static, but it's just the general low quality of the sound that is the big issue. I can't get in touch with the sound at all, and I can't really use the system the way I want. My band uses backing tracks for certain things, and we play to a click. I want to be 100% IEM but right now I end up pulling one or both because the sound is just not very clear or good. I have never used any other system, and don't have anything to compare it to.

So my question is: If I drop $800 US on the sure PSM300 system, will I be glad I did? Will the sound improve dramatically for me? Has anyone compared the Carvins to the Sure or Sennheiser systems?

I don't know about Carvins, but I used PSM 300, 900 and 1000. I don't think I noticed any considerable difference in sound quality. Neither sounded like a high quality stereo system with wired headphones. They aren't as good, and all of them had noticeable amount of hiss. None of that matters during a gig, IMO.

Thanks. I've read on a number of sites that the PSM 300's compare well to the 900's and even the 1000's sound quality wise. I've read in a few places that they are superior to the Carvin's, but no details are ever given. Just things like "buy the Sure" or "Buy Sennheiser"

I can tell you that I do not like the sound of the Carvins at all, but I'm just wondering if I myself am unfriendly with IEM systems in general and this is just how it is, or if the one I have is just crappy. I'd like to find out without dropping $1000 (plus another 600-1000 on new custom mold multi driver buds.). IF I can get fantastic sound in my ear, I'll spend $1,500 to $2,000, but if it's just a little better than what I have now... then it's not worth it.

P.S. - I have to think my system isn't very good. I would NEVER consider spending big $ on earbuds, because I know the transmitter/receiver are not going to deliver good sound anyway. I know because I've compared using high quality closed back headphones. My ATM50's sound like crap with my wireless system, (but sound great when wired)

i use Westone UM Pro 30 IEMs (approx €370) with a MiPro wireless pack that can be picked up on eBay for about €450. The UMPro 30's seem to be by far the most popular iem in my neck of the woods. I know of numerous bands using them from weddings to wembley. A mate of mine has a set of highend UE molds (approx €1300) and he recons the westones roughly delivers Pareto's principal on them (80% of the benefits @ 20% of the cost) straight out of the box...

Last edited:
You mean 4-6 hours for the Shure PSM300, right? Don't want to change batteries that often! Are rechargeable suitable?

Yes, I mean PSM300 but 900 and 1000 aren't much different. Basically, coming from GLXD, these wireless systems look weird and outdated, they have flimsy non user replaceable antennas that are easy to break, poor and less predictable battery life. It's not Shure-specific, rather a result of their using much lower frequencies, I guess.

Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries, why not. Both regular AA ones and, with the more expensive bodypacks, standard Shure rechargeables. One if their two main types, different from GLXD though.

Yes, I mean PSM300 but 900 and 1000 aren't much different. Basically, coming from GLXD, these wireless systems look weird and outdated, they have flimsy non user replaceable antennas that are easy to break, poor and less predictable battery life. It's not Shure-specific, rather a result of their using much lower frequencies, I guess.

Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries, why not. Both regular AA ones and, with the more expensive bodypacks, standard Shure rechargeables. One if their two main types, different from GLXD though.

Agreed, looks weird an outdated. At first i though it must be some "older" model but no, that's what it is. Two AA batteries vs an (in my opinion) a way better rechargeable solution! o_O

Or you can go a wired system, couple of providers make some clever one lead system. Wired is always going to be > than wireless, as there will be loss through audio companding etc.
Jump Audio IXM system and Posse Audio system both make wired systems, clever stuff.

The bass player in my band bought a CAD wireless iem...I'm not very impressed with it. I bought a Senn 300 G3 and LOVE it. It is lush yet still retains accuracy.

P.S. - I have to think my system isn't very good. I would NEVER consider spending big $ on earbuds, because I know the transmitter/receiver are not going to deliver good sound anyway. I know because I've compared using high quality closed back headphones. My ATM50's sound like crap with my wireless system, (but sound great when wired)
The Carvin system is pretty good for the price point IMHO. Yes, I used it for a couple of years.
In your statement above (in bold) I have to ask... HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?
You wouldn't listen to a high end stereo system thru crappy speakers, but you are doing EXACTLY that with the Carvin buds. Tried them once.. put them back in the box.
The buds that come with most "packaged" IEM systems are single-driver universal fit basics... IME - usable, but worthless. I've never even opened the E215 Buds I got with my PSM200 or the IE4 buds that came with my Senn G3. 3rd party ears is the way to go!

I recommend you try out a decent set of multiple-driver IEM buds with the Carvin [to compare] and then buy the best MULTI-DRIVER buds you can afford. You will be surprised the difference that makes to what you hear. Those can be universal or custom, the latter being better fitting, but more isolating.

It's also important to properly gain-stage the levels going to your ears.. but that will not help if you are listening thru junky buds - into which category the stock Carvin buds fit (IMHO). If you are concerned enough about how you sound to buy the Axe, do yourself a favor and take the same approach to what you are putting in your ears.

FWIW - I've been using IEM for over 6 yrs now, totally IEM for 2+ yrs.. and have gone thru a series of systems and buds during.. the ears make a HUGE difference.. Current rig is Senn G3 into 1964 A8's.

simviz, how's the battery life? I'm very impressed with my Shure GLDX and was a bit surprised to see the Shure PSM300 uses two AA batteries.
As vangrieg said, a set of fully charged Duracell rechargeable AAs will get me through a 4 hour gig making sure I turn off in the 5 to 10 min breaks between sets. At the end of the gig I still have about 1 bar left on the battery indicator (and the power light has turned yellow) indicating I could get around another 1 hour out of them. So yes, I'd say 4 to 5 hours.

The Shure SB900 is the lithium-ion rechargeable battery that works with the metal bodypack (the P3RA). I don't have one but the marketing says that it lasts for up to 7 hours. Kosmic is the only place that I could find that stocks it locally at AU$145. That's about the same as 60 Duracell rechargeable AA's so I think I'll be sticking with them for a while.....:)

The good thing about the AA battery is if you are running low you can always throw in a couple 'normal' batteries to get you through the gig.

I think the PSM 300 replaced the PSM 200 last year, so it's not out of date. But I agree with you, the battery in the GLXD wireless guitar system lasts way more than 12 hours which is great and the timer on the receiver screen is perfect for letting you know exactly how much is left.

As vangrieg said, a set of fully charged Duracell rechargeable AAs will get me through a 4 hour gig making sure I turn off in the 5 to 10 min breaks between sets. At the end of the gig I still have about 1 bar left on the battery indicator (and the power light has turned yellow) indicating I could get around another 1 hour out of them. So yes, I'd say 4 to 5 hours.
I run 2800 mAh EBL rechargeables in my G3 receiver.. I can get 2 (for sure) or 3 four hour gigs out of one fully charged set. Longest I've measured was 14 hrs, but 8-12 is normal use (shutting off between sets). The only issue with NiMh AA rechargeables is battery level indicator. They do NOT register drain in the same manner as NiCad's or std batts. So - occasionally you get bitten - even when checking levels at each set, like I did last night. 3 gigs completed (about 10 hrs use) the batts died about 5 songs from end of 1st one-hour set. I yanked out my ears and continued playing, monitoring FOH. Replaced batteries at end of set... and there was no time between songs.

I run 2800 mAh EBL rechargeables in my G3 receiver.. I can get 2 (for sure) or 3 four hour gigs out of one fully charged set. Longest I've measured was 14 hrs, but 8-12 is normal use (shutting off between sets). The only issue with NiMh AA rechargeables is battery level indicator. They do NOT register drain in the same manner as NiCad's or std batts. So - occasionally you get bitten - even when checking levels at each set, like I did last night. 3 gigs completed (about 10 hrs use) the batts died about 5 songs from end of 1st one-hour set. I yanked out my ears and continued playing, monitoring FOH. Replaced batteries at end of set... and there was no time between songs.
Wow! The Duracell's are 1950mAh, so your batteries would probably give 50% longer life (??) but still the Shure isn't going to get to 14 hours. Maybe closer to 6 to 8. It's a really good point about the battery indicator using the rechargeables. It's not as accurate.

(As an aside, s0c9, I know you have been one of the biggest contributors in threads about IEMs on this forum and others. Reading your advice helped me to go down the IEM route in the first place, so thanks!)

The Shure SB900 is the lithium-ion rechargeable battery that works with the metal bodypack (the P3RA). I don't have one but the marketing says that it lasts for up to 7 hours. Kosmic is the only place that I could find that stocks it locally at AU$145. That's about the same as 60 Duracell rechargeable AA's so I think I'll be sticking with them for a while.....:)

The good thing about the AA battery is if you are running low you can always throw in a couple 'normal' batteries to get you through the gig.

I think the PSM 300 replaced the PSM 200 last year, so it's not out of date. But I agree with you, the battery in the GLXD wireless guitar system lasts way more than 12 hours which is great and the timer on the receiver screen is perfect for letting you know exactly how much is left.

I think rechargeable is the way to go for me and going to check out the Shure SB900 as well. As you said there' always the option to through in normal AA in an emergency. Interesting what s0c9 (thanks for that) said about the batteries though. Two to three 4 hour gig is good enough.

Or you can go a wired system, couple of providers make some clever one lead system. Wired is always going to be > than wireless, as there will be loss through audio companding etc.
Jump Audio IXM system and Posse Audio system both make wired systems, clever stuff.

I just went wireless (Shure GLDX) and loving it. Don't want to attached strings again. But going to check 'em out anyway…just curious.

Back
Top Bottom