IEM Ear Buds - Suggestions

Tubehead

Inspired
I want to ask a question in hopes that someone here could to guide me…

I currently have an in ear monitor system which I like, but the provided earbuds are mediocre at best. Things sounds good until the bass kicks in, and then the entire spectrum of what I hear changes. Instantly, the highs and the mids are lost. I'm pretty sure this is due to the earbuds being a single driver. I know that some earbuds have dual drivers and others have triple. Today at practice, my drummer allowed me to use his triple Driver earbuds, but they drastically changed the sounds of my guitar and everything else that resided in the mid range. They sounded hollow...

Can anyone suggest a good set of your buds which closely resemble FRFR and do not get clouded when an entire mix is going on? I know that these will probably end up costing me a decent penny, but I would prefer to hear everything clearly across the audio spectrum and as closely to what it actually sounds like.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I plan to purchase a replacement set of earbuds within the next week.

Thanks in advance

1964 Ears !!
Take your pick of product based on their EQ profiles... Quads or Stage 6.
Been using the quads (Qi's) since Jan 2014 with hundreds of hours of use on both bass and and guitar.

Little cheaper than the JH's..

Used both the Westone UM3X and Shure 425 with good results. Several folks in my band swear by their Ultimate Ears units. I think you would do well with any of these.

+1 for the Shure 425. Perfect for guitars and vocals. I Love mine, I Even use them without custom molds, because they really isolate a lot , even with their standard molds. And they sit perfect, Even when you Jump around while playing.

SE215! Cheap and well performing. Don't go lower than that though the 115's are poop.

SE215 again! I've been using these for 1.5 years now, they are surprisingly good at isolation and the sound quality is decent too. You get a lot more value for the price out of these than most of the other brands. They are very cheap, so if you don't like them then you don't lose out much.

They also sit very easily and don't fall out.

Things sounds good until the bass kicks in, and then the entire spectrum of what I hear changes. Instantly, the highs and the mids are lost. I'm pretty sure this is due to the earbuds being a single driver. I know that some earbuds have dual drivers and others have triple. Today at practice, my drummer allowed me to use his triple Driver earbuds, but they drastically changed the sounds of my guitar and everything else that resided in the mid range. They sounded hollow...

You nailed it, that loss of depth is due to the single drivers. Along with all the other great suggestions (Ultimate Ears, JH, 1964 <- The best BTW), I would suggest something you could try and send back if you don't like them:

Amazon.com: Westone UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit Earphones - Clear, 78516: Electronics

Westones are what our church uses and they are full of depth with the proper bass response. These are $399 with prime so you can get it in two days and send them back if you aren't pleased. If you aren't looking for a $500-700 custom set, the triple driver Westones are phenomenal and I recommend trying them out!

I have the JH16's and they are amazing. If you contact their sales department they usually give a 15-20% discount if you send over a bio of your band. Almost like an endorsement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use the Westone 4R which is a 4 driver universal fit. Very nice units. It has been replaced by Westone W40 which is in the range of 500 bucks. I ordered custom made molds and hate them. The stock ear bud tips work best for me.

I use and really like the Shure SE215. Great performance for the money. I was having problems with some instrument balance as well. Turned out to be the compressor and limiter settings. I disabled all except one compressor on the mixer output going to the IEM transmitter, and that's set at a high threshold and extremely high ratio (so, pretty much a limiter, for hearing protection). Having any normal compression setting would really make a mess of the IEM mix, much more than was perceived in the mains with the same settings.

Hi,
I use Shure 535's. Their sound is clear and stable and they allow for a lot of deep lows, that's just perfect. The only thing I miss is some real ambience, but that's a known problem with IEMs. Maybe I should drill a hole in the foam and see what happens?

Back
Top Bottom