IEM best practices

My band has been 100% direct and silent stage for 4+ years.

I'm still not a huge fan of my guitar sound in the IEMs but it's workable.

However, the advantages of this approach when running your own IEM system are huge:
  • Everyone has control of their own mix
  • Everything is the same at a gig as it is at rehearsal
  • You can play as quiet as the venue needs you to be

My band has been 100% direct and silent stage for 4+ years.

I'm still not a huge fan of my guitar sound in the IEMs but it's workable.

However, the advantages of this approach when running your own IEM system are huge:
  • Everyone has control of their own mix
  • Everything is the same at a gig as it is at rehearsal
  • You can play as quiet as the venue needs you to be
...and the FOH mix is more consistent! (not to mention actually moving around a traditional monitor rig vs. an IEM rig!)

Last edited:
I have a QSC Touchmix 16, and we just went to IEMs. Had 3 rehearsals and played a 2-night gig the week before last,and that was wonderful! I think the bassist is a bit deaf, since the last gig we played before the IEMs, I was crushed by the bassist from across the stage, and had to turn up from 9:00 o'clock to 12:00 o'clock on my AXE II! (He uses an AX8).
He was all smiles, being able to hear everything well, and our sound engineer was thrilled to be able to put bass through the mains at the smaller venue! He said the mix was the best ever (still acoustic drums, but he played with rods instead of sticks), and the crowds both nights were very impressed, as was the bar owner!

As far as ear buds, I am using my Westones, and the other 3 are using these inexpensive, quad-driver ones that another friend recommended. For $36, they aren't too bad, I bought one as a spare for myself. Amazon product ASIN B072BZSQ28

great post with nice details.

i agree with what you say about the single drivers. i had some triple driver Westones but i just could not EQ them to what i wanted to hear. some irritating notches in there i can't seem to tame. the SE215s EQ so much easier for me. i did use some consumer level quad driver UEs, and they definitely sounded better, but at $500, i couldn't buy a backup. also my gig partners typically rarely use IEMs and only buy them to gig with me haha. so they buy the lowest cost SE215s. i want to make sure i'm EQ'ing and mixing their sends the same as mine, and to know exactly what they're hearing, so i just use the same as them.

i'd love to get some quad drivers again, as i do appreciate what they do in general. i just can't drop that much money at the time, and for how often i use them. in a pinch i could use the SE215s as backups if the expensive ones ever break. but i typically like to have an exact duplicate of most gear just in case.

ugh. money.
I know what you mean. I prefer the triple or quad drivers. I have the Shure SE535 and 846 in ears and love them both. My 535s are over 4 years old, same cable. The trade off with multiple drivers is they are more flat sounding, so the bass is not as good in them unless you radically EQ them. Drummers and bass players prefer the SE215 single driver model as it pumps out more bass. I prefer the multiple drivers because I like having the entire mix in my ears, and they do a better job for me for that. And they'll get louder without ear fatigue, as I prefer close to stage volume, in my ears, when performing. I get that rock concert feel.

I just looked at the 5 driver CCA, that @Dickie Fredericks mentioned. Specs say they 1 dynamic and 5 balanced armature hybrid drivers, I may just try a pair to compare.

Last edited:
Very interesting read here, lots of great input! I'm only using a cheap IEM setup myself, meeting with the band i'm in tomorrow to sort out my mix, never been 100% happy with the sound - Never EQ'd, which i should of done a long time ago, but you know.... Life gets in the way.

Any specific recommendations on X32 rack internal routing?

For example do you like to send all the drums to a stereo bus? ive read some articles that recommend bussing all similar sounds then run that bus through one of the compressor plugs with just a touch of compression to glue the group together. So bass and kick one buss, rest of the drums another, all vocals bus 3, guitars 4, etc.

Or do you find its best to just keep it simple as possible for IEM mixing?

Any specific recommendations on X32 rack internal routing?

For example do you like to send all the drums to a stereo bus? ive read some articles that recommend bussing all similar sounds then run that bus through one of the compressor plugs with just a touch of compression to glue the group together. So bass and kick one buss, rest of the drums another, all vocals bus 3, guitars 4, etc.

Or do you find its best to just keep it simple as possible for IEM mixing?
I prefer the keep it simple approach! So...
No, as a freelance [local] FOH guy when I'm not playing I'm not a big user of VCA/DCA groups or sub-mixing drums to ANY bus.
WE monitor what we send to FOH.. for most gigs, for drums, that's kick and 2* Overhead mics. One pointed at hat/snare, other at lower toms/ride.
I usually put kick and OH#1 in my mix.

For the X32R, each buss - is it's own mix - either stereo or mono. You can put ANY input channel (plus effect levels) into your mix and adjust level/pan for each channel. No panning w/ mono! Press the "sends on fader" button, select the output buss you want to mix, and adjust as you like. VERY EASY!

There's 16 output busses available on the X32 series. Without an external unit connected via AES50 (SD8, SD16, S16, S32), buss 7+8 are the main DEFAULT L/R outs.. which leaves 6 [physical] output busses [XLR] left on for [monitor] IEM/wedge mixes.
With one of those devices connected, default routing is buss 15/16 as L/R, and 1-10 open for IEM/Wedge mixes.
Either way, busses 11-14 are effects busses, but CAN be re purposed~!

Remember, you are NOT listening to a CD. You don't need 40 mics on a drum kit, unless you are in a stadium gig and Crimson King!
Put what you need to do your job into your mix. Keep it simple. Keep volumes LOW!
Stereo IEM mixes let you pan instruments relative to stage position, important if you have multiple sets of keys, electric and acoustic guitars as often occurs in large church bands!
Multiple driver IEM's let you boost freq ranges to taste.
Each output buss on the X32 has an EQ, so it's easy to boost/cut as needed!

Great thread!

I started using IEMs about 6 months ago and I'm still struggling to find the feel. My band has top notch digital gear and I use an Ipad to control my own mix. I've been told the same thing I read above - "get what you need to do your job". I my view, there is NO musical inspiration in using IEMs. In short, I HATE IEMs and only use them out of respect for the rest of the band. We have a silent stage.

I have a Shure 900 and 425 buds. Not the best stuff available, but pretty good nonetheless. We rehearse with IEMs for consistency as well

With a wedge and amps on stage (past 30+ years), I could always find that happy spot where the mix was perfect for a given situation. I felt the power of the sound. It brought out the best in my playing. Not so with IEMs.

I make more mistakes now than I've ever made and it's mainly because I'm distracted trying to sort out a mix. Adjusting the mix myself is both a blessing and a problem. Band dynamics, keyboard patch level variations, mains level, bassist tone changes with a pedal board settings - it's all a part of sorting out the mix. I get to a point on stage where I live with the mix in my ears, and just try to play. I have good nights and not so good nights

I'm going to use the advice in this thread to work on things. Wish me luck! :)

Great thread!

I started using IEMs about 6 months ago and I'm still struggling to find the feel. My band has top notch digital gear and I use an Ipad to control my own mix. I've been told the same thing I read above - "get what you need to do your job". I my view, there is NO musical inspiration in using IEMs. In short, I HATE IEMs and only use them out of respect for the rest of the band. We have a silent stage.

I have a Shure 900 and 425 buds. Not the best stuff available, but pretty good nonetheless. We rehearse with IEMs for consistency as well

With a wedge and amps on stage (past 30+ years), I could always find that happy spot where the mix was perfect for a given situation. I felt the power of the sound. It brought out the best in my playing. Not so with IEMs.

I make more mistakes now than I've ever made and it's mainly because I'm distracted trying to sort out a mix. Adjusting the mix myself is both a blessing and a problem. Band dynamics, keyboard patch level variations, mains level, bassist tone changes with a pedal board settings - it's all a part of sorting out the mix. I get to a point on stage where I live with the mix in my ears, and just try to play. I have good nights and not so good nights

I was there for a long time... Part of our setup that I try to enforce is that everyone must have their presets leveled, and we always send the same level to the mixer inputs. Everyone should not need to re-mix at every gig or rehearsal or (worse) every song.

I still don't find the experience hugely inspiring... But I'm getting more comfortable over time.

A couple of other things:

- Add a brick-wall limiter to your monitoring bus. Better safe than deaf
- If you can't work with the mix you have, ask someone with more experience to prepare a mix for you

Great thread!

A big thing for me is coming to grips with what is really needed in your ears....lead vocals, kick/snare/overhead?, a little bass (if i can't feel it from the sub), and me. If there is a click or track that is needed, then obviously that's up there. But I dont bother trying to hear everything - that will drive you crazy and you won't be playing!

Get's whats need to play and don't sweat the other stuff. Another mistake is having yourself TOO high in your mix and then playing softer to the point where you aren't heard out of the Mains (not an issue if you have a dedicated FOH sound guy though).

Great thread!

as mentioned, the mix is the most important part since there's no "room wash" bouncing around to fill in the edges of missing players.

do you have a room/ambience mic? try adding that and mix it in to see if that fills in what you're missing.

also somewhat consider that the mix won't be perfect the entire night with bigger bands. even with a duo, and even with one of my regular partners understanding the concept, he'll turn up all night to get louder in his ears instead of asking me to turn him up (which i check in throughout the gig). that throws off both my mix and the mains mix. and this happens without in-ears too, just that it's more recognizable with them.

consistent levels from the band are a must. you have to get rid of the "sound check low and turn up to what i want" mentality on in-ears. it just has to happen or the whole thing doesn't work, as you may be experiencing.

also make sure you have your IEM send/bus EQ'd the way you like it to begin with. i haven't used any IEM that sounds perfect without any EQ, just like any speaker in any different room. usually there's too much Low End frequency muddying up the mix at the beginning, and then you try to solve it by mixing, which won't work.

consider that you won't "feel" the bass using IEMs, as you probably have to remove some low end via EQ on your send/bus. try it - i reduce around 100hz shelf about 5 dB or more and instantly everything is clearer and easy to hear. then i put some back until it feels good, yet i still have the clarity.

it's a process, but you can have a great mix if the other players remain consistent.

There's 16 output busses available on the X32 series. Without an external unit connected via AES50 (SD8, SD16, S16, S32), buss 7+8 are the main DEFAULT L/R outs.. which leaves 6 [physical] output busses [XLR] left on for [monitor] IEM/wedge mixes.
Before I got an SD8, I would use the aux outputs in my x32r to give a total of 14 physical outputs.
Not that I needed more than 8, but it was convenient to leaving routing in place when bouncing between different setups ( 2 stereo iem + 3 mon or 4 monitors, FOH etc.)

About 3 years ago I jumped in the pool with about a $600 investment in custom molds and Alclair triple drivers for electric guitar.
They worked fine, but I had nothing else to compare them to. Due to my ear canal, they are not the easiest to get in and out.

Fast forward to this week. My worship director told me about these KZ ZS10 Pro's for $49. I though they couldn't be any good!
Well I ordered them from Amazon.

Man they sound and FEEL really good. I listened to some CD's to A/B the $600 Alclair and the $49 KZ's, WOW!
These have 5 Drivers!

How would I describe the difference, The triple Alclair sound like a 1970 transistor radio and the KZ's sound very full.
I do feel the the Bass and Treble sound like they are boosted in the KZ's but I can easily adjust that.
They feel and fit great with the stock rubber tips.
Someone recommended the Comply premium memory foam tips so I purchased them too $14 but have not opened the package yet.

I would never have believed these would fit feel and sound so nice!
I do recommend them!

Amazon product ASIN B07QKYTGH9

Last edited:
Great thread!

PSM900's, are one of the best IEM's out there. They're one of Shures top of the line models. It's the SE425 2 driver Ear Buds that comes with the kit thats the problem. Even tho they're supposedly Shure's middle of the road buds, they are week and uninspiring (for guitar anyway) compared to even the next step up 535 3 driver buds. I've gigged them back to back. Big difference, and fuller.

Just try some other buds, or ultimately get anything 3+ driver custom molds. IMO, 425's suck. I have been using the PSM900 for 4 years and its awesome.

We run a Soundcraft SI Impact with the 32 channel stage box for our band. One ethernet cable from state to the desk is all that's needed (no 40 channel snake ... !) and we have a router that connects the 6 band members iPads / Tablets by Wifi for indpendent monitor mixes (there are 14 available on the impact).

All of us are on IEMs all of them LD MEI 1000 G2 (I own them all and the desk etc) except me, I use the Sennheiser EW300 G3 (soon to be G4 when I upgrade in a few weeks).

It's taken about a year to get our mixes right, it's been a long journey with a lot of frustrations but we got there in the end. We all have Ultimate Ears buds except the bass player who has sleeved SE535's and I have a sleeved pair of 535s as backup. All microphones are Sennheiser G4 wireless and we have the following channels ...

2 x stereo for keys, 1 x stereo pads plus 1 x vocals
1 x stereo for my Axe Fx plus 1 x vocals
2 x mono vocals for the 2 singers
2 x mono for the bass player (one DI and one mic in front of the cab)
2 x Drum overheads, snare top + bottom, kick in_out, tom1, tom2, tom3, tom4 plus 1 x mono for triggers and octapads

The stage box has been a massive help in our cable management and improvement to our sound.

My advise with IEM's is, persevere and get buds with at least 3 drivers. The LD are as good as the Sennheiser for a fraction of the price if you are near the transmitter racks otherwise get some paddles. I loaned my LD's out to Sweet (remember them ?) last year and they loved the LD wireless units and my friend (Sweets drummer) who is on tour as guitar tech with another band is blown away with my 535's he "borrowed". I doubt I will see them again ....

Before I got an SD8, I would use the aux outputs in my x32r to give a total of 14 physical outputs.
Not that I needed more than 8, but it was convenient to leaving routing in place when bouncing between different setups ( 2 stereo iem + 3 mon or 4 monitors, FOH etc.)
Absolutely the way to go.. however, using the AUX outs as additional feed was not something I wanted to get into [above] as "sends on faders" doesn't work with them [directly], and their easiest use case is mapping one of the output busses to them. Can also route MTX busses to them, etc. Great thing about the X32 is it's routing capability!

As an aside, I was running a Yammy CL5 at friends church the other night and couldn't figure out how to adjust the effect send levels for a vocal channel!
Nice console !!
1583292192381.png

I took the advice of several people who posted in this thread and bought a pair KZ AS10, 5 driver earbuds from Amazon. They were only $60.

Tried them at rehearsal and A/B tested them against my Shure 425 buds. WOW!! What a difference! I think I'm on my way now

Thanks for the great advise! This forum ROCKS

4. I found that stability in my presets is critical. You need to EQ your IEM mix to be able to seperate things and hear all the pieces. Changing presets where one sound is dramatically different EQ wise from another can cause real problems. I hear myself great on one song, and it's the best thing ever. The next song I can't hear myself at all because I'm lost in the mix, and it's a nightmare. This was a real driver for me to ditch the "preset per song" approach, and just develop "my tone" that I like to work with all night.

This!

Great thread!

Almost everyone hates IEMs in the beginning and makes the mistake of using only one in ear. It took me 4 purchase and sales to finally keep them.
A few years back a touring musician friend of mine showed me this trick.
For that balls to the wall IEM sound, you first have to get a good in ear mix. Then increase the volume loud enough to where you are feeling the dynamics of the music. A common mistake with IEMs is people tend to not crank them to a decent level, because they feel they don't have to. For me, it is very important to get that in ear concert going. And last but not least, set up an ambient mic that only goes to the IEMs. Make it loud enough to bring in a little outside sounds. This eliminates the isolation. We have had great luck with 1 or 2 BeyerDynamic Classics BM series mics, mounted on mic stands. They have a great flat 180 degree pattern. That will get you your stage feel back.

Back
Top Bottom