IEM best practices

This is a tried and true one. Glad to see someone mention it.

OP, you've gotten plenty of good reccs and opinions on ears themselves, so unless you're wanting more, I won't weigh in on that. Many great brands, many different budgets.

I'll just add this, which is for me and every group I work with our best practice for dialing in Fractal gear on ears:

1. Dial your tones for live use with your ears IN. Firmly in. Take the "M" in the acronym at its word: these are now your monitors to audition your tones as you tweak AND to rock out when you play. It's going to take some getting used to, and for many players, it can feel isolating and "lame" at first. But there's nothing lame about protecting your hearing and a good IEM mix will quickly make it evident why so many players go IEM and never look back. The clarity of mix you can achieve can make every night sound like a mastered record. (Along with this, the adjustment process will also make very clear to you why monitor engineers are some of the most valuable members of any tour). Long story short, your IEMs are now your cab or your wedge or whatever you used before.
  2. BUT, and this is the most important part, make sure you have a nice, loud guitar sound in the room itself while you dial in your tones. This can come from either FRFR speakers or standard guitar cabs--it doesn't matter. You're not really listening to these, but you better believe your pickups are! You need to feed your guitar sonic energy while you dial everything in. Otherwise, your tones will neither sound nor feel right when you get on stage in an actual venue. Once you're on stage, if you like feeling a cab thump, go ahead and throw a cab up there. You won't hear it, but you'll feel it. Or use a loud ass wedge. But for most people, the PA subs in a decent size venue gives enough OOMF to keep you happy without any onstage reinforcement.
  3. When you're dialing in tones, periodically check what you're working on in your ears against a nice FRFR system. This may be the one you have in the room creating your "energy sound", or it may be a pair of studio monitors in a separate room. But again, this a checkup---a reference to make sure you're not completely off base. Your primary dialing should be done in your ears.
  4. Why do the primary dialing in your ears? Because if it sounds great to you in your ears, you'll have a better show, you'll play better, you'll be happier. Even decent IEMs in the $500 range sound fantastic these days and will give you a very accurate representation of your tone when dialed in correctly as described above. Get happy with the sound in your head. Let FOH make changes for the audience if they feel it's necessary.
  5. BONUS TIP: send your DRY and your WET signal chains out of two different outputs on your Fractal unit. That way FOH can keep things where they want them from venue to venue, from song to song, but you can have it as wet or as dry as you like in your ears! Some of us in the industry refer to certain performers' ear mixes we've heard as "GOD MODE" because of how incredibly epic they sound compared to wedge mixes or stage sound...the kind of mixes that make you want to play all night it sounds so good in your head. Long story short, we all know how turning up the verb and delay can sometimes get us in a better headspace as a player; so if that helps you, use this trick. You won't be washing out your FOH sound, and you won't need any of your monitor board's built-in (and likely less than Fractal quality ; ) FX.

Last edited:
Yep.

Lol, thx my dude 🙏🏻🤘🏻
I could do a sticky on IEM practices (@Admin M@?) And/or @yek can put that post on the wiki. Maybe I'll do a video if people are interested. I'd prob say 75% of all the sessions I do are dialing on ears.
I’d love a video honestly. my love for in ears grew this past year when I got my fractal. But in terms of the hookups you explained and other things I’ve read about, i just get so confused. It’s probably because i dont have much knowledge with mixing consoles, FOH sound, etc…

I jump and sweat a lot when playing. I started with Westone Ambient universal fit. Sounded great but sweat would leak into ear and impeded sound. Now I have triple drover custom Dream Earz and I love them! That and a MIPRO909 digital trans/rec.

I jump and sweat a lot when playing. I started with Westone Ambient universal fit. Sounded great but sweat would leak into ear and impeded sound. Now I have triple drover custom Dream Earz and I love them! That and a MIPRO909 digital trans/rec.
Just got a Mipro 909 few weeks ago. Been loving it. Upgraded from shure psm300

Hi @Cooper Carter thanks for those great tips! Dialing in with in-ears took a lot of the pre-gig stress out of things for me, because I didn't have to worry about how my (crappy) wedge would sound in the venue. Interesting re dialing in with a wedge - as a duo in smaller venues (100-200) we don't have any stage foldbacks at all since going IEM. Have you got any master tips on how to compensate for this? I guess that's what the gain enhancer is for. Perhaps I should go back to pointing a wedge at my guitar?

Yep.

Lol, thx my dude 🙏🏻🤘🏻
I could do a sticky on IEM practices (@Admin M@?) And/or @yek can put that post on the wiki. Maybe I'll do a video if people are interested. I'd prob say 75% of all the sessions I do are dialing on ears.
Over time, this info will become more and more valuable, as everyone continues to realize how much better it is for your long-term hearing to use IEMs, instead of standing in front of ear-splitting speakers. I saw the Black Crowes earlier this month, 3rd row in front of Rich Robinson's 3-4 amps (Marshalls & Magnatones). Took four days for my hearing to feel normal.
I'm not suggesting you should monetize it . . . but the tips are gold!

ok ,im new dont understand half of whats being said here.is there a way to setup axe3 up for iem?i tired but very thin.im useing Xvive Audio U4 Wls IEM Sys.

CCA C12 in-Ear Monitors.i run frfr now so should i run a nother line for the iem at the speaker cab for the iem;s?im lost with all this i run a condenser mic stuff​

HI Chris,

If you get the chance, try the Shure SE846.
I'm with you on the SE215...They sound great and are extremely good value. The 846s give you more of the same, but with the extra sheen and accuracy you'd expect from the price difference.

Thanks
Pauly

i've never used ambient IEMs. with that said, i use IEMs mostly for hearing protection, so i don't want any stage sound getting in.

general rule i stick to is that if it's not in the IEM send, i won't hear it. many people say they want to use IEMs and only put their guitar in it. well at a certain level (pretty low), you won't hear anything else since the drivers are so close to your ears and the IEMs are acting like plugs too.

i have used several IEM models from $100 to $500. in my experience, i don't think the expensive ones offer too much more than the cheaper ones. but i'm approaching this as MONITORING, not a studio high-quality listening experience. i'm not there to bask in the glory of the sound. i use the SE215s as well. cheap, easily replaceable, and sounds good with a little EQ on your monitor send from the mixer. in general i'm boosting a bit of high end, and reducing low end so it doesn't bog down the mix. i also pull out some mid range frequencies, very slim Qs, whatever the mixer allows.

some people swear by custom molds, but i am completely satisfied by the SE215 with the rubber tips.

for the mix, like i said, if it's not in the send, you probably won't hear it. even drums, depending on stage volumes. if there are vocal mics on stage, many times those offer enough "ambience" as they are open mics letting in sound. i personally don't need or want to hear crowd noise or stage noise - that's the whole point of IEMs for me. add what you need though. for drums, you don't necessarily need a full mix. just one mic near it - even a 58 - that's mixed into IEMs only, and not sent to the mains.

keep that in mind - you can add mics that only go to IEMs and not mains.

for stage volume, if you need interactivity with your guitar for feedback, etc. then yes you need to have that speaker on the stage. if you want to "feel" air moving from a loud cab on stage, then add it. it's all up to you. i play places that don't want amps on stage, so that's not an option and i honestly don't miss it.

it all depends on your goals for IEMs. for me it's clarity. some restaurants i play, the crowd noise is so loud from clanging plates and talking 3 feet away from me, and the venue doesn't want ANY speaker on the stage - sound only through the ceiling speakers. so it's impossible to play without IEMs. some of my partners use headphones instead of IEMs and it works for them. but i like the fit and feel of IEMs.

what you can do for your IEM totally depends on your mixer. a standard analog board doesn't have too many options. the digital offerings like the x32 or Touchmix are preferred.

i always EQ my IEM sends from the mixer. no speaker sounds perfect flat, IEMs are speakers, so i EQ those as needed. i described it a bit earlier. the biggest problem i see is too much bass frequency in the IEM and then you "can't hear" anything. reduce bass. see how low you can get it to function. you'll be surprised at how much clearer the mix sounds immediately.

again, i approach it for monitoring, not a relaxing home listening experience. it's a tool to help me do my job. it doesn't sound bad by any means. it's just not the mid scooped "LOUD" button in the car sensation. and i don't want that at a gig because then i can't hear things!

ok ,im new dont understand half of whats being said here.is there a way to setup axe3 up for iem?i tired but very thin.im useing Xvive Audio U4 Wls IEM Sys.

CCA C12 in-Ear Monitors.i run frfr now so should i run a nother line for the iem at the speaker cab for the iem;s?im lost with all this i run a condenser mic stuff​

I just plug them into the headphone jack!

I've been using custom triple driver monitors for a couple years for everything. Absolutely can not beat a custom molded fit. I thought those were great but on a recommendation from other local musicians I bought the a set of the AMAZON KZ ZSX as the ones I had were getting old and if they break I am screwed. Ive done the deep dive in the past few months on building custom in ears and what components cost materials and what not. I would like to mention all the in ears sold on AMAZON aside from custom fit ones are from the same manufacturer LINSOUL. The KZ ZSX are 6 driver 5 balanced armature and 1 deep bass driver for $59.00.

I have small ear canal's so with foam tips on the KZ ZSX are near impossible to get in my ears so I bought all the tools and supplies to build custom shells and just mated the KZ's to my custom shell. I can do all this in an evening. Now I have a cheap off the shelf solution for a really great sounding set of in ears and custom fit so the stay sealed and in place.

My recommendation is try these KZ ZSX. hell for the price its like buying a guitar cable or a couple sets of strings, what do you have to lose. Also order foam tips to go on them to get a tight seal in your ear and keep them from falling out.
It's cost $50 on average to go to an ENT and have custom in ear molds made. There is a company called EARTUNE that makes custom fit silicone ear tips that they will make to fit any off the shelf AMAZON monitors for $149. I E- mailed EARTUNE as I didn't see the KZ ZSX as one of the models they support and they replied just send yours in with your order and molds and they will make them fit. So you can have a really great sounding set of custom fit to you ear canal's set of in ear monitors for $270.00. Side not, be sure to order a version that does not come with a mic on the cord for using with a phone.

KZ ZSX
Amazon product ASIN B07WTTJSCF
EARTUNE
https://eartune.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips?variant=32328836251785

LINSOUL in ear monitors from $15 to ridiculous stupid amounts of money and everything in between.
https://www.linsoul.com
IMG_4705.jpegIMG_4706.jpegScreen Shot 2022-06-27 at 4.41.38 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Good basic how its made video. The website for buying materials is gone as the owner has passed away and it's been closed down. Kind of a PITA to hunt all the materials down.

@Tom Morris That's very cool.

I also have a set of those KZ IEM's and they're good for the price. Comparing them to a other monitors I find them to be kind of harsh in the high end, but you can dial a lot of that out for monitoring guitar anyway. The stock cable is not very good (too stiff, odd length) and the IEM's themselves are heavy (so they may come out of your ears if you shake you head around). I would recommend them to anyone needing a backup or an entry level IEM. I'll bet they are much better if you pair them with a better cable and some quality foam ear tips.

Custom fit IEMs are a really good investment and I would recommend them to any guitarist who is going to be playing live regularly. They are great for silent practice as well.

OrganicZed I agree they are kind of harsh and if you look at the design you can see why, they have a high end driver right in the nozzle where foam ear tips go on. I don't know if you can see in my picture of my custom molds but I stuffed a piece of cushion foam in there that helped tame the real highs. I don't know if over time like a 12" guitar speaker they break in mellow out or not. On the other hand in a live stage situation you may want that high end spike. If you look around when building custom in ear monitors they always added a frequency baffle on the output tube of the drivers. Some In ears have an actual crossover circuit in them now so maybe that solves adding those baffles?

I will say comparing these to my custom set of triple driver one's these sounded very similar Bass and Mid wise but the added highs were quite noticeable when I first started wearing them. After a couple hours I couldn't go back to my custom ordered set.

I've seen some 15 driver In ears, got wonder how the hell those would ever stay in your ear being that heavy. The caps on the KZ ZSX are metal, why I have no idea. I guess they associate metal with quality?

KZ.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom