Identifying string brands?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
This is a long shot but...

Anyone know any tricks to identify strings off a guitar?

I just removed the strings off my Breedlove acoustic even though they still sounded stellar (they were getting quite old, and difficult to tune properly). I installed a fresh set of high quality medium gauge and, frankly, it sounded much better before. Sure, now it can be tuned, but I'd like to go back to the other brand. The thing is, even though I normally keep the string packaging inside the case (for exactly the purpose of knowing what it's stringed with), for some mysterious reason I didn't do it the last time I restrung. Darn!

I'm assuming there's too many variations of color, end ball type, etc. to narrow it down? But I thought I'd check with the collective wisdom here.

Were the ball ends of each string a different color? If so, those are likely D’Addario strings.

I think Martin strings have red threads near the ball ends of their strings.

I don’t know of any other special identifiers.

Reactions: ESW
This is a long shot but...

Anyone know any tricks to identify strings off a guitar?

I just removed the strings off my Breedlove acoustic even though they still sounded stellar (they were getting quite old, and difficult to tune properly). I installed a fresh set of high quality medium gauge and, frankly, it sounded much better before. Sure, now it can be tuned, but I'd like to go back to the other brand. The thing is, even though I normally keep the string packaging inside the case (for exactly the purpose of knowing what it's stringed with), for some mysterious reason I didn't do it the last time I restrung. Darn!

I'm assuming there's too many variations of color, end ball type, etc. to narrow it down? But I thought I'd check with the collective wisdom here.
Were they factory-installed strings? If so, contact Breedlove and find out what they use.

Thanks, y'all, and sorry that I missed including some important info.
Not a new guitar, so Breedlove can't help. It's really my own fault for not having kept track.

I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities: my last order from Strings and Beyond included some DR Strings Dragonskin K3 (DR_DSA-13), and some D'Addario EXP Coated (DAD_EXP17). According to the reply from pharmd07 (thanks!), D'Addario always has the ball ends of each string a different color (unless this "rule" doesn't apply to the EXP Coated???). But my strings had all the same gold colored ball ends, so I'm leaning towards ruling out D'Addario (?) and concluding that it must have been the Dragonskins.

Anybody ever use Dragonskins? Do they all have gold ball ends? Can't find a Google picture that shows the ends...

Really really really have to get those strings again (whatever I did have on that guitar). Next time, I'll take note.
Thanks again to all.

Back
Top Bottom