Ideas for preset management

Looking for ideas on how folks manage presets - especially all you professional musicians.
Here's my dilemma -
Let's say I have a preset with a few tones - clean, crunch, lead. I want to use this basic preset in many songs (each song gets its own preset), and a specific song may have something special added - say a chorus, or a wah.
I've been copying from a master preset and making the new presets for each song. This is fine, but here comes the issue:
Now lets say I want to tweak the settings (across all the songs) just a little bit - say use a different cab.
I now have to go each of the songs/presets individually and make the same change multiple times.

Is there a better way to handle this? Thanks!

You can use global block for amps and such. This is explained in chapter 8 of the Axe FX3 users manual. This make it easier to do what you want.

Thanks, Chris, this is exactly what I wanted. The video was very helpful. When I copy over the "master" preset with a few linked blocks, it looks like the clone preset automatically sets those blocks set to "linked to, and load from". This is going to make my preset management so much easier!

I wish each of those block links could be named in some way instead of just numbers..

Just wanted to update.. all my presets are now based on Global Blocks - and life is happier :)
Just be careful. If you copy a preset to make changes to try something new, make sure you unlink the global blocks. I have screwed up a few patched by forgetting this.

Just be careful. If you copy a preset to make changes to try something new, make sure you unlink the global blocks. I have screwed up a few patched by forgetting this.
Yes, global blocks can be a blessing and a curse :)

Another thing to note: actual Global block settings are part of the Axe Fx System Settings, not stored in the preset. Make sure you always backup the system settings!

And if you export presets, do it without Global blocks or it will sound completely different on someone else's Axe Fx because it will use their global block settings.

Looking for ideas on how folks manage presets - especially all you professional musicians.
Here's my dilemma -
Let's say I have a preset with a few tones - clean, crunch, lead. I want to use this basic preset in many songs (each song gets its own preset), and a specific song may have something special added - say a chorus, or a wah.
I've been copying from a master preset and making the new presets for each song. This is fine, but here comes the issue:
Now lets say I want to tweak the settings (across all the songs) just a little bit - say use a different cab.
I now have to go each of the songs/presets individually and make the same change multiple times.

Is there a better way to handle this? Thanks!
I prefer block library to global blocks. You have a limitation of 8 instances with Global block and unlimited with block library. Global blocks are stored in the preset and block library is stored on your computer. Block library is easier for me and no limitations and you can name them. I have taken all my favorite amps, saved different gain structures and the same things with all my effects. No more editing everything. Most presets takes 5 mins because of this library. That with scene copy and channel copy makes programming a breeze. I have 8 scenes for every preset. I want the most of every preset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom