Ideas for first DAW?

I see you went with cakewalk. I’m not familiar with this daw but if it works to get you recording that’s great!

One thing I’d suggest if your not fully committed to cakewalk yet is to try out a few different DAWs either through free versions or timed trials and see which one best fits you. I tried a few before settling on one myself. I found that although different DAWs can ultimately get you the same result, getting there can feel more intuitive in some. This will of course vary from person to person so the best choice is what feels best to you.

A second suggestion is that if there are any youtubers you enjoy and they use a certain DAW, maybe lean towards using that one also. I find it helps greatly when you enjoy the person explaining how to use any hardware/software whether it be a Fractal unit, DAW, plugin, etc
Thanks. I think I may do that. I was having some difficulty figuring Cakewalk out following the videos, certain things not matching what was going on in the vids, etc. I'm a complete noob to recording and that's a huge part of it but I would have thought it would have been a little easier. Anyway, onward :).

Another vote for Reaper.

It's very popular, so there's a ton of learning resources for it out there. Lots of good YouTube tutorials and walkthroughs and the Reaper forum is very helpful too. It's small, fast, stable, and very customizable.

Started with GB and moved up to logic for 199 and a year later putting up Huge sounding Tunes, and I'm an old man starting this late in life, so you young dudes can rock this stuff much faster, love me some Logic though

Cakewalk by Bandlab if Free.
I just bought Presonus Studio One 6.5 and that also good.
I have also FL Studio 21.

There is so many nice DAW there, just need to find best one for your own needs.

I'll admit I haven't read this whole thread, but I do quickly see "use XYZ. it's free". For me, after using a number of different DAWs over the last 20+ years, the cost of the DAW isn't the issue, it's the learning curve and payoff when you stick with it. So "free and simple" might get you started, but then you may discoverer "oh I can't do what I REALLY want to do with this DAW, so I need to switch to xyz". I'm a MAC Logic Pro user, and happy I've stayed true to the course, and that Logic Pro has stayed faithful and developed over the years. Every year I learn more and more about what it can do, and as a result, what I can do... $200.00 for that kind of payoff is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom