Ideas for auto-pan?

Here's an LFO solution done on the Axe II. This has the "real" pick detector ADSR plus an LFO B Phase modifier, which I don't think is assignable in the usual way on the III.

The LFO is square type and stopped. When triggered the ADSR briefly drops LFO depth to 0% while LFO 1B controls LFO Duty% and B Phase, plus bypass state of the filters panned L/R. The image below might explain it better. LFO B value (height of blue X) determines both its own horizontal position (B phase) and where the waveform discontinuity occurs (duty%). Lower values move both to the left with the X having a narrower overall range. A small amount of damping on the B Phase modifier lets it catch a ride up/down on the opposite chunk of the waveform before settling in position for the next trip.

F9ulnTc.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9kfafoz7djb4y71/lfopan.mp3

Attachments

• Lfo toggle.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Here's an LFO solution done on the Axe II. This has the "real" pick detector ADSR plus an LFO B Phase modifier, which I don't think is assignable in the usual way on the III.

The LFO is square type and stopped. When triggered the ADSR briefly drops LFO depth to 0% while LFO 1B controls LFO Duty% and B Phase, plus bypass state of the filters panned L/R. The image below might explain it better. LFO B value (height of blue X) determines both its own horizontal position (B phase) and where the waveform discontinuity occurs (duty%). Lower values move both to the left with the X having a narrower overall range. A small amount of damping on the B Phase modifier lets it catch a ride up/down on the opposite chunk of the waveform before settling in position for the next trip.

F9ulnTc.png

I'll read this again tomorrow when my eyes and brain are fully operational... But the sound clip does show it working :)

Be interesting to hear it some clean-ish arpeggios with a little ambiance.

Here's hoping my wish will get implemented ;)

F9ulnTc.png

Nice!!

Cool; very clever. I thought the adsr could be part of the solution since I use it for the pick attack trick with 1ms values.

[...]

@unix-guy, cool idea, this is a sound I didn't know I wanted!

@Bakerman, your recording is wild!
I have made an effort to reproduce your solution on the III and am unable to. I follow the drawings and your explanation, but I'm unable to map it to the III. Is the assignability you mention a limitation to achieving this on the III?

@Bakerman, your recording is wild!
I have made an effort to reproduce your solution on the III and am unable to. I follow the drawings and your explanation, but I'm unable to map it to the III. Is the assignability you mention a limitation to achieving this on the III?

FracPad should be able to assign any modifiers that can't be assigned via hardware/Axe-Edit. Or you could try converting the Axe II preset with FracTool. (I don't have an Axe III to verify if there are any other problems with this setup on the III.)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...x-ii-xl-xl-ax8-fx8-axe-fx-iii-and-fm3.120946/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-ultimate-multitool-for-fas-devices.112538/

Thank you Bakerman, I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this!
FracPad keeps crashing on startup for me...
I did try converting your preset via Fractool earlier and it doesn't translate quite right, hence me trying to reverse engineer it and then reprogram it starting from scratch, but with no luck. Then I started wondering if the II has some control feature that the III doesn't.

This is what is listed as the inventory of controllers:
1607114417919.png
One of the controller gets converted to External 3 (triggering the start/stop of LFO1).
And there's an additional Envelope Follower that is controlling a Threshold. I can't track down what is it a Threshold of...

Despite informed guesses on what each thing should control what, I can't get it to work.
Thanks again!

The run/stop modifier was necessary to keep the LFO stopped on the II, but you can actually remove that and use the run/stop parameter right in the LFO settings on the III.

Modifier #7 is the ADSR1 Threshold parameter. Modifiers can be accessed from that list (try right click if left click doesn't work) but I'm not sure if that one needs to be adjusted. You could try deleting it and using a fixed threshold, but that wouldn't trigger the panning as consistently with each note.

Thank you for taking the time to elaborate. I won't be able to work on this for a while, but I'm not giving up!

So each burst of input is what forces the ping pong? do you have an audio example of this? I’ve only ever heard LFO style panning where it’s a regular pattern, not based on when you play. Would be cool to hear.
The guitar bits in end portion of "What Is And What Should Never Be" comes to mind of a manually-panned example.

F9ulnTc.png

@Bakerman - the luminary of LFO logic....

I think it was one of my old Lexicon units that had an envelope (or MIDI) triggered flip-flop mod source. That was really cool and did exactly what you're describing.
@Bakerman 's "hack" still blows me away and can't map it to the III. If anyone knows the ins and outs of the controllers it's you, @Admin M@ ! Does it seem obvious to you? Would you be able to port the patch to the III within seconds? Because it's already taken me at least an hour and I still can't get it to work!

I think it was one of my old Lexicon units that had an envelope (or MIDI) triggered flip-flop mod source. That was really cool and did exactly what you're describing.
My H3000SE with Mod Factory had a filter pan which was a triggered wah pan, one of the coolest effects ever. Tried to replicate it on the axe with no success…:-(

Why wouldnt you just link the bypass/on function of the pan tremolo block to an envelope modifier ?
That's how I chime in a tremolo on dying notes; the inverse should be possible not?

Ok... I played around with the new Step/Pause in the Sequencer.

I got satisfactory results but still need more experimenting.

However, I also revisited the original inspiration synth sound and realized that it actually does both things: it flip/flops on the note "attack" but then continues to pan with an LFO while you sustain.

Back
Top Bottom