Ideal vs Authentic

Whether you use the Ideal or Authentic you still have options... You just have to go to a different page.

Exactly. I did not say it so explicitly because I was not sure if the Authentic and Ideal difference also included effects. For amps I was.

This is what I'm slowly tending to, now that there's virtually no difference between the sim and the real thing. The authentic controls must be sufficient and less tendency to spend hours tweaking parameters you could never touch on a real amp.
BTW, never checked this but what do the authentic controls on the FAS models look like ;-)
You can go down such a deep rabbit hole tweaking these things. You’ll actually forget to play guitar for hours because you’re tweaking the sound. Honestly if it needs more than a couple of adjustments you probably have the wrong model and you’re putting a square peg in a round hole.

You can go down such a deep rabbit hole tweaking these things. You’ll actually forget to play guitar for hours because you’re tweaking the sound. Honestly if it needs more than a couple of adjustments you probably have the wrong model and you’re putting a square peg in a round hole.
Or you're having fun seeing what you can get out of it :)

Always authentic, always trying to use a “matching” cab, rarely using more than two IRs... i keep it simple, and always get satisfying results.

Always authentic, always trying to use a “matching” cab, rarely using more than two IRs... i keep it simple, and always get satisfying results.

This is my approach as well. I have enough stuff going on with loopers and things that keeping the amp tones very straightforward (and good of course) helps with the overall mix.

I tend to go to Authentic first and get things dialed in to a point that I like, and then make a few tweaks to the Ideal after. I like a cutting edge on the high gain tones and the high treble is something I often boost just a bit as opposed to bumping the treble or presence. Puts and edge on it without affecting the lower highs as much. I also tend to tweak both the pre and post EQ settings to get the gain structure dialed in the way I like it.

I don't get hung up on matching the cab that much. Picked up York Audio's Friedman pack and use a combo of those IRs on a lot of my high gain stuff now, with an M25 on one side and a V30 on the other. I also generally try various speaker impedence curves and settle on the one that matches the sound I'm looking for rather than trying to match up with whatever amp or cab IR I'm using. I'm always chasing what I want to hear vs. trying to copy some "real-world" idea of what is supposed to work.

I just switched the Global setting on the unit from Authentic to Ideal. I've gotten so into the mods. The stuff I was able to pull of with the Lonestar when modded was just blowing my mind. And I so prefer setting the controls on any amp via the unit instead of AxeEdit. The knobs are programmed so intuitively and intelligently, so much more nuanced than using the trackpad on my laptop. Such a joy.

I like the authentic setting because it makes the models more straightforward to operate and reduces that feature overload.

I wish that you could switch between the two on a case by case basis like you can on FM3-Edit though.

I like the authentic setting because it makes the models more straightforward to operate and reduces that feature overload.

I wish that you could switch between the two on a case by case basis like you can on FM3-Edit though.

? Just page over to the ideal tab?

Maybe this is an Axe-Fx 3 feature? I seem to have to go to the Advanced tab on the FM3 hardware UI to see the options that are not shown in authentic mode.
Yes, there are more options on the ideal tab than on the authentic tab, and you have to go to the ideal tab to see them.
The authentic tab is "more straightforward" because it shows fewer controls, that's the point of it.
You can switch between those tabs at any time.
What's your question again?

Yes, there are more options on the ideal tab than on the authentic tab, and you have to go to the ideal tab to see them.
The authentic tab is "more straightforward" because it shows fewer controls, that's the point of it.
You can switch between those tabs at any time.
What's your question again?
Namely that on the FM3 on the hardware UI I don't have an Ideal tab. I do have that on FM3-Edit though. The Tone tab on the FM3 defaults to whichever global setting (ideal or authentic) is selected and only the Advanced tab shows the additional Ideal settings. So if Axe-Fx 3 UI shows a separate Ideal tab then that's a feature specific to that device it seems.

Namely that on the FM3 on the hardware UI I don't have an Ideal tab. I do have that on FM3-Edit though. The Tone tab on the FM3 defaults to whichever global setting (ideal or authentic) is selected and only the Advanced tab shows the additional Ideal settings. So if Axe-Fx 3 UI shows a separate Ideal tab then that's a feature specific to that device it seems.
Sorry, I missed that you were talking about the FM3, which I've never used.
Continue...

Back
Top Bottom