Ideal vs Authentic

Axe

As I await the delivery of my Axe Fx III MKII (upgrading from the orig Std) that I ordered Dec 28th and will be delivered hopefully Jan 8th.. WTF? Thank You UPS... Did I use Amazon prime?

Seriously, Do you set Global to "Ideal", or "Authentic"? And why? Does Live vs Studio use make a difference?

My use will be primarily studio use for the foreseeable future... Isn't everyone's 🤟 :pensive:🤟

Last edited:
Congrats! You are in for a real treat. Personally, I use the authentic controls when dialing in my basic tones. I usually access the ideal controls for fine tuning or in cases where a model may not originally have a particular control. For example, adjusting the mids on the Deluxe Reverb, which doesn't originally have a mid control. Basically, the ideal controls add adjustments that aren't on the original amp. Good for serious tweekers.

Axe Fx III XL
No such beast... Do you mean Axe Fx III mkII or Axe Fx II XL?
Seriously, Do you set Global to "Ideal", or "Authentic"? And why?
I set it to authentic. It's a simpler interface and allows me to just use the controls as available on the actual amp that was modeled.

The Ideal settings are still available...
Does Live vs Studio use make a difference?
I don't think so... Use what you prefer.

Authentic = less options, which seems counterintuitive to me for a purchase that has 250 amp types, 4,000 IRs and dozens of modifier options. I’m confused how an additional presence control knob you can ignore is the over the top option that gives anyone pause.

Ideal here. Doesn't mean I tweak every parameter, just prefer to have the option readily available. Don't understand why people get their panties in a wad if someone does something different than they do. I'm not tweaking your Axe.

Authentic = less options, which seems counterintuitive to me for a purchase that has 250 amp types, 4,000 IRs and dozens of modifier options. I’m confused how an additional presence control knob you can ignore is the over the top option that gives anyone pause.
There are no less options... You just have to look at a different page for the non-authentic ones.

Exactly, the authentic page has less options.
Fair enough. I interpreted your post in a different way, but I get what you're saying.

I'll say it this way: the Amp block has no less options when using authentic vs ideal :)

Hi Axe,
I use authentic, as it allows me to quickly dial in the amp I want, while continuing to sound like the chosen amp. Ideal allows more controls, however it also allows you to modify the amp way past what the ‘real” version would be capable of.
If I choose a specific Marshall, I want it to sound like that amp.
Having said that, there are times when I’ll deviate and twiddle some ‘ideal’ parameters, however they are quite rare now as the axe fx 3 is sounding so damn good lately.
Thanks
Pauly

As I await the delivery of my Axe Fx III MKII (upgrading from the orig Std) that I ordered Dec 28th and will be delivered hopefully Jan 8th.. WTF? Thank You UPS... Did I use Amazon prime?

Seriously, Do you set Global to "Ideal", or "Authentic"? And why? Does Live vs Studio use make a difference?

My use will be primarily studio use for the foreseeable future... Isn't everyone's 🤟 :pensive:🤟

Ideal if you're a tweaker and want to hone in on YOUR sound.

Authentic if you want to sound just like the real thing with the same knob settings etc

Last edited:
Generally ideal. People have been modding their amps almost since amps have existed to get tones that their amps didnt quite offer.

The axefx gives us those options in spades without needing to risk breaking anything, hurting ourselves or understanding how to make adjustments to amp circuits.

Why not take advantage of it?

Authentic. More isn’t always more.
This is what I'm slowly tending to, now that there's virtually no difference between the sim and the real thing. The authentic controls must be sufficient and less tendency to spend hours tweaking parameters you could never touch on a real amp.
BTW, never checked this but what do the authentic controls on the FAS models look like ;-)

I set it to Ideal. You do not have to use it bit it is there if you want it. 98% I do not use it, but hey, those 2% I was glad I had the option.

Harm

Back
Top Bottom