Idea...! What if endorsed ARTIST'S created patches....?

I'm far more interested in seeing HOW they make their patches as to actually having their tone. Just for knowledge sake and to pick apart certain things. I don't want their tone, because its not mine. I want my tone to be unique 8)

I know I'm just bitching in an online forum, and this will get hammered, but Jesus....

I plan to record an album with the Axe FX Ultra And post ALL the Patches I use for ANYONE to download. If you wanna sound like me, what do I care.

Its completely misguided to think that people aren't going to be able to nail your tone. I seriously can't see wasting my resources , time or money, to lie, or dearly value something to so trivial as "MY" guitar or bass tone.

It's been my own personal belief that this is why you don't learn anything. Buying and selling musical gear becomes a scam we all wind up buying into because of this. If your on this site and not trying to get a certain type of tone modeled or close to your favorite guitar player, your kidding yourself, and everyone else. People keep their amps, cabs, pedals, tone, etc... secrets, and then no one knows how to get something similar, and it takes an inordinate amount of time to get a certain type of sound. Engineering, recording, what type of this or that, how to move this one left, that right, this cymbal instead of that.....

I've never heard so many people become so dissatisfied, or disappointed, or waste so much time and money, just because they aren't willing to share information. How do I get this sound, this type of layering, what kind of amp makes that sound, what type of cab, what mic, how many tracks, what is EQ, and how do I use it....

I think it's pretty much agreed it's nice to Google and get 1 billion pages, but to sift through 1 billion pages is daunting and unrealistic. Deciding what is good information, is subjective.

I just think this is the worst way to go. People aren't willing to share their knowledge with anyone but a guarded a few and it's bullshit every time.

I'm one for individuality to the core, but seriously, no starting point is ridiculous.

People seemed to not share because they were unable, whether it be media outlet, or reasonability that others wouldn't be able to afford the same products, or get the same results. This simply isn't the case now days. Your able to do whatever you want in 2011, and to choose to not use that freedom is the most childish and ignorant thing I think of personally. I've , for one, never heard fo a good reason for this lately. It's all been selfish everytime.

It's like " hey I like that, show me please", and you get "NO *uck You", "but why", "absolutely no reason other than I don't feel like it, and I don't want you to steal my individuality" "ok , I'll get it somewhere else".

Seriously this is akin to punching someone for having the same T shirt or driving the same car. Get over it. I for one can't bring myself to think that not sharing what I've learned, and helping to further someone's creativity and individuality is a bad thing.

Go ahead and hammer away-

@ Soundshell777
Glad you got it off your chest.

I look at things this way: we all want, need, desire something (I want all of Boston/Tom Scholz's tones!)...if someone can share or help - thats a big part of Life.

Cool, I'm glad you'll be releasing your tone. That's very nice of you, and you're free to do it.

But, others may not and it's simply because of politics; they're avoiding future problems with undeserving sh*t-talkers. Tone is sort of a trade secret and it has nothing to do with an intelligent someone recreating it. I think people/artists should be allowed to protect what's theirs if they choose to (and vice versa). That's why I proposed the idea of patch/midi encryption last year; but it only got bashed to shit.

And, honestly, if someone gives up because of how hard it is to sound like their favourite [secretive] artist, music was never meant for them. They would've given up on the chords/solos eventually anyway. Hell, we found our way through the haze!

Cool, I'm glad you'll be releasing your tone.
Sharing a preset is not "releasing your tone," any more than telling someone what brand/gauge strings, picks, guitar, etc., you use.

Tone is sort of a trade secret
Bwahaha. the "secret" is that you have to know what you're doing and that it takes years to reach that point. By the time you get there - assuming you ever do - it will have dawned on you what a waste of time and effort it is to sound like anyone other than yourself.

That's why I proposed the idea of patch/midi encryption last year; but it only got bashed to shit.
Not surprisingly.

yea i've heard so many brilliant recordings on here, then i download the preset and it sounds awful. There are so many variables to a good tone that a preset is only a part of it. So many unique factors like

guitar model
guitar wood (body, neck, fretboard)
pickups
pickup height
string brand and gauge
guitar cables and length
picks (gauge and material)
playing style and execution
axe/fx input gain knob setting

I guess if you knew everything that was used you could get pretty close, but after all that work it wouldn't even be worth it

Jay Mitchell

rsf1977

Thanks you so much. Your dead on. Whats the harm, right?

Prometh: I like some of your stuff quite a bit, but if you wouldn't have shared it, ......see where I'm going with this? Trade secret's=bullshit.

Share knowledge, responsibility, and optimism, not ignorance and gullibility and the world will be your oyster.

yea, the one thing i think presets do give you is a trend and indication of how to sort of set things up. a single preset doesn't tell you much, but when you see 10-20 presets and they start showing common elements and general similarities it starts to give you clues on what to do to achieve similar results. The idea of downloading a jimi hendrix preset and sounding like jimi ain't happenin' lol. There's no free lunch, it all takes mucho work and experimentation.

Actually a good example is... I just changed my pickup and plugged into my rig yesterday without changing anything. My presets sounded baaaaaaad. So it was back to square one. That's why i don't download presets usually, they are so specific to the gear. Unless it's something like spacey ambient noise then i download that asap because it's more about the programming then the instrument tone. But hey if people have good results with other peoples patches more power to you, keep doing it the way that works.

As for artists contributing, I'd love to see their reasons for why they dial in what they do so I could gain some knowledge on their methods. I'd love to understand what their settings contribute to their final tone. That would be really great.

I know I'm just bitching in an online forum, and this will get hammered, but Jesus....

I plan to record an album with the Axe FX Ultra And post ALL the Patches I use for ANYONE to download. If you wanna sound like me, what do I care.

Its completely misguided to think that people aren't going to be able to nail your tone. I seriously can't see wasting my resources , time or money, to lie, or dearly value something to so trivial as "MY" guitar or bass tone.

It's been my own personal belief that this is why you don't learn anything. Buying and selling musical gear becomes a scam we all wind up buying into because of this. If your on this site and not trying to get a certain type of tone modeled or close to your favorite guitar player, your kidding yourself, and everyone else. People keep their amps, cabs, pedals, tone, etc... secrets, and then no one knows how to get something similar, and it takes an inordinate amount of time to get a certain type of sound. Engineering, recording, what type of this or that, how to move this one left, that right, this cymbal instead of that.....

I've never heard so many people become so dissatisfied, or disappointed, or waste so much time and money, just because they aren't willing to share information. How do I get this sound, this type of layering, what kind of amp makes that sound, what type of cab, what mic, how many tracks, what is EQ, and how do I use it....

I think it's pretty much agreed it's nice to Google and get 1 billion pages, but to sift through 1 billion pages is daunting and unrealistic. Deciding what is good information, is subjective.

I just think this is the worst way to go. People aren't willing to share their knowledge with anyone but a guarded a few and it's bullshit every time.

I'm one for individuality to the core, but seriously, no starting point is ridiculous.

People seemed to not share because they were unable, whether it be media outlet, or reasonability that others wouldn't be able to afford the same products, or get the same results. This simply isn't the case now days. Your able to do whatever you want in 2011, and to choose to not use that freedom is the most childish and ignorant thing I think of personally. I've , for one, never heard fo a good reason for this lately. It's all been selfish everytime.

It's like " hey I like that, show me please", and you get "NO *uck You", "but why", "absolutely no reason other than I don't feel like it, and I don't want you to steal my individuality" "ok , I'll get it somewhere else".

Seriously this is akin to punching someone for having the same T shirt or driving the same car. Get over it. I for one can't bring myself to think that not sharing what I've learned, and helping to further someone's creativity and individuality is a bad thing.

Go ahead and hammer away-

This -^

To clarify my terrible 7 am grammar.

My point was:
Share what you know and help other people learn, keeping things to yourself has no value.

Thanks bladlus

Many valid points on this post I started.....as in Life, everyone has their own thoughts & opinions.

I have gained a TON from shared patches...yes, even via AxeExchane in Editor. As well as forum shared.
These have allowed me to sculpt, without alot of tweakin, many a fine preset.

Take "Sanctuary Flange" in Editor from The Cults tune - from the get-go it sounded GOOD. I added a rotary in 1st position, and a lil' tweakin....sounds very authentic, even at live band level.
I use it for Fire Woman...

It REALLY WORKS for me.

Bwahaha. the "secret" is that you have to know what you're doing and that it takes years to reach that point. By the time you get there - assuming you ever do - it will have dawned on you what a waste of time and effort it is to sound like anyone other than yourself.

Obviously, but for how many years did people want to sound like Metallica/Pantera? I don't know what people want to sound like now.

The thing is, I wouldn't want little arrogant kids sounding like me without any effort required. So, if I were a big successful artist putting together public patches, I wouldn't release anything that I'd ever use [often].

Cliff has trademarks and patents. That's different.

Surely people craving your tone is the ultimate in flattery? No probs sharing patches, especially as they might sell even more of their guitars and gear etc. It would be cool if more artists shared stuff. What's the worst that could happen??? I don't get this tone secrecy thing...

Seriously?

As anyone who had played guitar for any amount of years should know, its not the tone that makes you successful. It is originality. Think of all the tones that most every guitar players covets, it was the fresh playing that made that tone "desirable" not the tone its self. Its all about context and execution. Van Halen's tone wouldn't be as awesome on a Metallica album and Metallica's tone wouldn't be as awesome on a Meshuggah album and so forth. Tone does not guarantee talent, or success.

My stance on the whole thing? Share away. :D

I asked a well known pro if I could have some of his patches.

He held up two fingers but I'm still waiting for those two patches.

Back
Top Bottom