Idea: Connect with Other instruments through VOIP/Etc?

Bladebzz

Hi I have an idea if it's possible; If you can connect axe fx3 to the computer and it's able to read/send data can it be virtually connected with another computer with their interface and that person be able to use the axe fx3? It would probably require a new software or program make it possible to virtually reroute connections or read a person's audio input as the instrument input. Not sure if it would also be like a skype version of axe fx3 where these connections would also add to the VOIP.

This would be huge if possible, please speak to the techs if it can be done.

It would process on the axe fx user side; guitar signal from another person with interface would audio out. Axe fx would listen on that signal and processes as if a 2nd instrument is plugged in. the only latency would be only the VOIP.

It would process on the axe fx user side; guitar signal from another person with interface would audio out. Axe fx would listen on that signal and processes as if a 2nd instrument is plugged in. the only latency would be only the VOIP.
What would the other person hear?

What would the other person hear?

Since the Axefx can process multiple instruments and play them audio out to monitors/etc they would hear the axe user's recording device(axefx3)

1. Basically Axefx takes clean signal from other person's interface audio out from VOIP.
2. Axefx reads signal as if is a instrument plugged in and processes signal at axefx3 user side.
3. Axefx outputs the sound as normal and other person can hear them plus themselves since it's outputting all instruments as one.

So I think the challenge would be to make a software/program or maybe hardware.. to listen or take the other person's audio signal and input that into the axefx as an instrument signal for processing.

Since the Axefx can process multiple instruments and play them audio out to monitors/etc they would hear the axe user's recording device(axefx3)

1. Basically Axefx takes clean signal from other person's interface audio out from VOIP.
2. Axefx reads signal as if is a instrument plugged in and processes signal at axefx3 user side.
3. Axefx outputs the sound as normal and other person can hear them plus themselves since it's outputting all instruments as one.

So I think the challenge would be to make a software/program or maybe hardware.. to listen or take the other person's audio signal and input that into the axefx as an instrument signal for processing.
What’s the latency on getting the audio back to the other player?

What is the benefit here? like axefx3 as a service, pay for the time you use it?

Latency makes this impossible for playing in real time, but if you mean something like re amping ?

Like skype you hear each other so it's the same but the axe user takes other person's signal into the axefx and processes it and then outputs audio so as if hearing the other person's mic or audio recording device.

The person on the other end would not be able to monitor the processed audio in real time. The round trip latency would make it basically unusable. Typical VOIP latency is often somewhere around 20 ms or so. That's one way, so to monitor the processed audio, you'd have to at least double that. That's also under good conditions. Acceptable VOIP latency ranges up to around 150 to 200 ms before conversations start get annoying. Try putting a 40 ms to 400 ms delay in one of your Axe III presets at 100% wet and playing. It won't be great.

For this i use software called JamKazam. It's free online jamming software, and if the distance isnt too bad you can easily play along with a drummer or other artist. There are lots of pianists using it also. I've been using it for about two years, and while it can be a bit of a pain to set up depending on your hardware and computer configuration, it's definitely worth it in the end, and a lot of fun. They have been putting lots of upgrades into it since covid came as many musicians are using it to keep in touch, jam with their bands, etc. Just make sure if you are on windows that you use ASIO as this will result in lowest possible latency.

For this i use software called JamKazam. It's free online jamming software, and if the distance isnt too bad you can easily play along with a drummer or other artist. There are lots of pianists using it also. I've been using it for about two years, and while it can be a bit of a pain to set up depending on your hardware and computer configuration, it's definitely worth it in the end, and a lot of fun. They have been putting lots of upgrades into it since covid came as many musicians are using it to keep in touch, jam with their bands, etc. Just make sure if you are on windows that you use ASIO as this will result in lowest possible latency.
Not the same... The OP is wanting to process a remote player's guitar into his local Axe Fx and then back to the remote player.

The person on the other end would not be able to monitor the processed audio in real time. The round trip latency would make it basically unusable. Typical VOIP latency is often somewhere around 20 ms or so. That's one way, so to monitor the processed audio, you'd have to at least double that. That's also under good conditions. Acceptable VOIP latency ranges up to around 150 to 200 ms before conversations start get annoying. Try putting a 40 ms to 400 ms delay in one of your Axe III presets at 100% wet and playing. It won't be great.

I think it would be the same as hearing the other person's mic/audio device. Other person isn't going to process anything as he's just playing a clean guitar signal with an interface and the axe user's axefx will listen and take that signal as an instrument signal and output it normally and other person will hear it along with the axe user who is also playing

I think it would be the same as hearing the other person's mic/audio device. Other person isn't going to process anything as he's just playing a clean guitar signal with an interface and the axe user's axefx will listen and take that signal as an instrument signal and output it normally and other person will hear it along with the axe user who is also playing
It takes time for audio to go from the player over the internet, to the axe, get processed, then come out of the axe, go back through the internet to the players speakers. That would make it impossible to play in real time.

with Skype, you can talk freely without having to listen to your voice come back to hear what it sounds like. With a guitar going through an amp sim, it’s hard to play just the clean guitar as if it was distorted, for example. You must hear the axe process it to play well

in terms of seconds, how long are you proposing the delay is from the player point of view?

put a delay block at the end of your chain in series. Set mix to 100%, set time to 500ms. That’s 1/2 a second of “latency”. Now play along with any song. That’s potentially what it will feel like.

Last edited:
Yes the other person will hear the Axe III's output, but after two doses of internet transmission latency have been added (one there and one back). They will hit a string and not hear the result from the Axe III until after a round trip through the internet. Good luck trying to play along in time with something when you have 50 to 100 ms of monitoring latency going on.

Not the same... The OP is wanting to process a remote player's guitar into his local Axe Fx and then back to the remote player.

This should be possible! Just for pure fun / thought experiment: The preset in Axe FX would look something like Input USB -> Amp/Cab ->Out1. The settings in the jamkazam software would be Audio Input Ports: 1 & 2, Audio Output Port: Out 7 and 8

This should take any signal received by jamkazam your friend sends over the network into the axe fx, process it, and return it as your output to then be returned over network. I have been experimenting a bit for fun as this seems like a neat idea, but I am running into a feedback issue whenever the input signal tails off, temporarily solved by having the noisegate set insanely high. The feedback issue goes away when amp block is disabled. Definitely something I am doing wrong, but only have so much time to play around with this. Just trying to help out the OP with his request!

That being said, @Bladebzz knowing exactly what you are trying to do would be helpful. Are you trying to jam with a friend live over network? Are you trying to just re amp his playing? Or just let him sample the abilities of your axe FX? If just re-amping his playing you should send files back and forth via email. If you want to just let him sample the abilities of your machine, the above method is on the right track. If your goal is live jam, if you both get the JK software you can use the axe fx on your end, and on his end he can just use digital VST plugins, free or paid (32bit only) to add distortion or whatever effects he is looking for. When I play with musicians in around the 300KM distance range our total round trip latency is usually under 40ms. The more information you give us the more helpful we can be!

This should be possible! Just for pure fun / thought experiment: The preset in Axe FX would look something like Input USB -> Amp/Cab ->Out1. The settings in the jamkazam software would be Audio Input Ports: 1 & 2, Audio Output Port: Out 7 and 8

This should take any signal received by jamkazam your friend sends over the network into the axe fx, process it, and return it as your output to then be returned over network. I have been experimenting a bit for fun as this seems like a neat idea, but I am running into a feedback issue whenever the input signal tails off, temporarily solved by having the noisegate set insanely high. The feedback issue goes away when amp block is disabled. Definitely something I am doing wrong, but only have so much time to play around with this. Just trying to help out the OP with his request!

That being said, @Bladebzz knowing exactly what you are trying to do would be helpful. Are you trying to jam with a friend live over network? Are you trying to just re amp his playing? Or just let him sample the abilities of your axe FX? If just re-amping his playing you should send files back and forth via email. If you want to just let him sample the abilities of your machine, the above method is on the right track. If your goal is live jam, if you both get the JK software you can use the axe fx on your end, and on his end he can just use digital VST plugins, free or paid (32bit only) to add distortion or whatever effects he is looking for. When I play with musicians in around the 300KM distance range our total round trip latency is usually under 40ms. The more information you give us the more helpful we can be!

This is just an idea I thought of, maybe can share the axefx with a friend and jam together online. If there is just a way to make axefx input audio from the computer or maybe plugging the headphone jack to the axefx instrument may work.. This is just to take the other person's audio signal to process at axe user and then it outputs as a mic over skype would do

This is just an idea I thought of, maybe can share the axefx with a friend and jam together online. If there is just a way to make axefx input audio from the computer or maybe plugging the headphone jack to the axefx instrument may work.. This is just to take the other person's audio signal to process at axe user and then it outputs as a mic over skype would do
I think you can do this now. Just have the other person play dry guitar over Skype and send that signal into the axe. Any non-powered audio signal can go into the axe.

Audinate (the folks that bring us Dante audio-over-IP) has actually recently figured out how, using GPS, to solve the clocking issue that prevents using Dante over distance (outside the local network). This means that with the right public Internet connection and some fancy new Dante hardware we will soon have the capability to have uncompressed, low latency, multi channel audio over great distances. Of course this will come at a very high cost at first, both for the new hardware and for the bandwidth, and probably only be feasible for big-bucks operations (broadcasters or big studios). But now that the “seal” had been broken I think we’re just a few years away from affordable audio interfaces with usable Dante-over-public-internet capability built in.

Back
Top Bottom