AFIII "I'd rather go blind" solo

edo

Power User
Vendor
Not that I really care about winning an overdrive (as you can see I already have a few collecting dust lol), nonetheless here's my attempt at the ten guitars challenge - I'd rather go blind.

Les Paul > AF3 > logic. What else??
(PS. I remember some guitar legend complaining about modelers not cleaning up realistically with the volume knob... I can't remember who he was, but I guess he had not tried the axe fx yet!)

Dude, preset would be great 😉

Great playing
Unfortunately I have not stored it.. but it was something very much like this:

Amp - Brit800#34:
drive 8, bass 10, mid 8, treble 0, presence 4, mv 5.5.

Cab: one of the 4x12 with v30 / sm57

Delay: mono bbd (1/4 note at 120bpm), fdbk 20, mix 15

Reverb: London plate, mix 33

Great playing.
I find the sound too harsh and that typical high harshness I used to ear from the Axe fx (or other modelers with IR's)
Like a wah blocked on high position.

With some EQ I can almost reach my tube amps sound but it needs some tweaking.

I find the sound too harsh and that typical high harshness I used to ear from the Axe fx (or other modelers with IR's)

That's because you're comparing the sound through a traditional cab (tube amp) with the sound of a mic'd cab (modeler).

Turn down High Cut in the Cab block.

That's because you're comparing the sound through a traditional cab (tube amp) with the sound of a mic'd cab (modeler).

Turn down High Cut in the Cab block.

Yes of course ...
I m talking in same setup of course

What's that setup?

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that a recorded Axe-Fx ("modeler with IRs") sounds more harsh than recordings of your tube amp?

I have all setups to compare (LB2 load box for tube amps to compare with IR in the Axe FX or tube amp and power amp with cab for complete comparaison on a real cab).
My results are Always the same.
I really prefer real cab miked for tube amp or Axe fx.
So both are supposed to be "miked" no amp in the room argument please ;)

High frequencies in IR's are not natural sounding and feel congested (I describe this like a wah blocked - Kemper and Helix (I have had both) too)
I also have Torpedo and UAD Top BOX with my tube amps and it's the same result to my ears.
I dont need to high cut so hard for my real cab recordings it's common to IR's.

Great playing.

That’s the nature of the jcm800 #34 mod. Just listen to any clip of the actual amp on YouTube, most of them have the mids below 5 and treble / presence at 0 and still sound harsh. I have the mids at 8 and presence at 5, which makes it even harsher - but I wanted it to be like that!

Ps I also used the second brightest v30 ir, the brightest one was too bright and every other one was way too dark to cut through!

Last edited:
That’s the nature of the jcm800 #34 mod. Just listen to any clip of the actual amp on YouTube, most of them have the mids below 5 and treble / presence at 0 and still sound harsh. I have the mids at 8 and presence at 5, which makes it even harsher - but I wanted it to be like that!

Ps I also used the second brightest v30 ir, the brightest one was too bright and every other one was way too dark to cut through!

Yes no problem with that if its the sound you like.
To my ears I always ear that glassy, "perfect" high end on all IR recordings.
For some kind of sounds I like that but on that kind of sound I prefer a real cab recorded in a good acoustic room ;)
BTW your playing is really great thats the most important thing

Back
Top Bottom