Girl You'll be a Woman Soon - Pulp Fiction
Extreme Ways - The Bourne Identity
Help - Help
Mrs Robinson - The Graduate
Knocking on Heavens Door - Pat Garret & Billy the Kid

Obscure choice - GREAT movie:
If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out - Harold and Maude

Last edited:
Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown), the Coen brothers (The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?), Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Baby Driver), and Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou) are directors I dig who I think use popular music well in their films.

Then there's things like the car ride in Wayne's World where they're singing Bohemian Rhapsody that are also etched in my mind. And as a guitar player, Extreme's Play With Me in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Johnny B. Goode in Back To The Future were also pretty formative.

Top Gun:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

And I think someone already called it out, but Knopfler's Wild Theme from Local Hero was a cherry on top of a great movie:

Last edited:
You can't always get what you want - Big Chill
On the dark side - Eddie and the Cruisers
Footloose - Footloose
Time of my life - Dirty Dancing

I think "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" triggers The Big Chill more for me.

Footloose is a really obvious one, but "Holding Out for a Hero" is the first song I think of for that movie. I am kind of a Steinman junkie though.

Pretty much every song in Highlander, but particularly Who Wants to Live Forever. Gimme the Prize and Princes of the Universe would tie for second.

Stranglehold in Dazed and Confused.

Would in Singles

Pretty much every song in Highlander, but particularly Who Wants to Live Forever. Gimme the Prize and Princes of the Universe would tie for second.

Thing is, I never hear any of the Queen songs from that movie outside of that movie, as cool as they are.

It's like "Goodbye Horses" is always going to remind me of Silence of the Lambs", but I've never heard that song anywhere else.

Stranglehold in Dazed and Confused.

Slow Ride

Beethoven's 9th Symphony - A Clockwork Orange.

Also "Singing in the Rain"

Shit. Probably the William Tell Overture as well.

Maybe too obvious to count?
Heavy Metal - Heavy Metal
Cheap Trick - Reach Out always makes me think of that flick too.

I can't hear AC/DC "Shoot To Thrill" anymore without thinking of the opening to "Iron Man 2". The same with "Miserlou" and "Flowers On The Wall" from "Pulp Fiction"...actually, any song Tarantino uses in any of his movies reminds me of the particular scene, as well as songs used in "Guardians Of The Galaxy".

Back
Top Bottom