Iconic Prince 'Blue Angel' guitar, that was once considered lost, is sold for over $500,000

Guitars are meant to be played, but if they are going to be stuck behind glass I'd rather have them in some sort of museum public access facility then in a private collection.

An interesting piece on this guitar was put together for that auction: https://www.juliensauctions.com/auc...Angel_Guitar/Prince_Blue_Angel_Flipping_Book/

That was a quite interesting read. So bizarre that they basically reused other guitar bodies and necks to make Cloud 1 and 2. If I were Prince I'd be pissed off. I do get the impression that this guitar building company seriously lucked out getting chosen by Prince, more based on luck then actual luthier skills. Also amazing that he threw them around so often, broken and repainted and still only had three. Matt Bellamy of Muse basically has a whole new set of guitars for him made every tour. No repainting and rehashing old guitars for him.

Yeah I was surprised too. But it some ways it’s impressive that the guts of these two iconic guitars started out as different production models.
He certainly liked to throw them about the place. I have seen some performances where an employee catches them slightly out of shot as well. No stunt guitars required.
That was a quite interesting read. So bizarre that they basically reused other guitar bodies and necks to make Cloud 1 and 2. If I were Prince I'd be pissed off. I do get the impression that this guitar building company seriously lucked out getting chosen by Prince, more based on luck then actual luthier skills. Also amazing that he threw them around so often, broken and repainted and still only had three. Matt Bellamy of Muse basically has a whole new set of guitars for him made every tour. No repainting and rehashing old guitars for him.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff.

Our fellow forum member @Rex has some association with Rusan.

Wow! I wonder if @Rex has an idea how close the Schecter Clouds are compare to the original guitars?
I bought one from the NPG music club 17/18 years ago. They don’t have the active EMG’s, the bridge is different (nightmare-ish to change strings), plastic nut, and front loaded neck pickup. But I always wondered about the width of the body and neck, the originals looked slimmer.

Yeah I was surprised too. But it some ways it’s impressive that the guts of these two iconic guitars started out as different production models.

It's interesting alright. But it also feels like cheating reusing old factory guitars on a custom build. Even more so on a famous client like Prince. Makes you wonder if they did this on every custom guitar.

He certainly liked to throw them about the place. I have seen some performances where an employee catches them slightly out of shot as well. No stunt guitars required.

Matt Bellamy throws his around like they are empty soda cans. But then again he has whole series of custom guitars. Per tour. Prince only had three. I did know about his stage hands sometimes catching them. Including the throwing them up into the rafters amidst the lights.

Back
Top Bottom