Ichika... just discovered.. so creative!

I too recently discovered him, when I downloaded Instagram just to follow guitar stuff. Him, along with Tim Henson from Polyphia, Manuel Gardner Fernandes and Mateus Asato have blown me away. It's just very different playing to what I was accustomed to (hard rock, heavy metal, grunge, instrumental guitar from 90's). AND...I have to say I dig it more than the shredder stuff I consumed a long time a while ago. They are technically proficient in a very different manner.

The curious thing is that the people cited above have adapted to this age of 1 minute songs for social networks. Polyphia does have albums though, and it impresses me how, and into what, they evolved, and where they draw their inspiration from. This Ichika guy, not long ago I saw him with a Harp. Does not matter what he picks, the guy has an innate sense for melody and a personal style.

Very interesting stuff coming from Japan. I recently ran across this and dug it:

I also really liked this quick little one from Ichika-san:

I'm learning Japanese. It's a very interesting language. Ibanez' parent company is called Hoshino (星の). Hoshi (星) = star. No (の) = with. Hoshino = "Of the Stars". I like that.

Last edited:
Ha! interesting stuff. Last week there was an event at guitar.com, I tuned in. Marty Friedman had a slot, and I caught the Q&A. So, the guy's been in Japan, I think, for as long as he hasn't been in Megadeth (20+ years). He did not catch a question of mine about Ichika, I was curious about his take on him, given Marty sometimes uses exotic scales...much like native Japanese Ichika (Ibanez artist, BTW). But, again, if you've heard Marty's work, and hear Ichika....absolutely nothing alike, except the exotic scales maybe! Haven't read about Ichika's influences. Not shredders, that's for sure!

Ichika and Tim Henson

Very recent one on Manuel Gardner Fernandes, of the band Unprocessed, which is kind of djenty prog, but these days at he is letting go of high gain stuff. Of the video below, one could break some of the influences down, but in the end, IMO it's a very novel & unique way of playing the instrument. Basically, the guy has a very recognizable style and sound.

He had been involved in a controversy about speeding up on some of his videos...but I kind of picked up envy from his detractors instead of hard evidence hehehe. He posted this clip to shut them up (he put up a version with original audio with no fx)

While I'm at it: his band's latest song, in collaboration with Polyphia. Don't miss Tim's solo, approaching the guitar with bass techniques.

Mind you, this is hardly djenty prog, but I've come to appreciate unusual riffs that have kind of pop hooks to them. These guys play very "chordy", clean, and high up the neck, interspersing harmonics at every chance.

From a Polyphia interview I saw this video and went into the rabbit hole of their stuff:
Their latest full album, new levels new devils, is kind of like this. I'm no rap guy, mind you, but I couldn't turn their guitar-based pop-rap down! Tim's evolution (in my eyes) is quite interesting, from a very "straightforward" polished shredder (at a very early age) with not much identity, to what I share here. He has a very recognizable style now, if you ask me.

Very recent one on Manuel Gardner Fernandes, of the band Unprocessed, which is kind of djenty prog, but these days at he is letting go of high gain stuff. Of the video below, one could break some of the influences down, but in the end, IMO it's a very novel & unique way of playing the instrument. Basically, the guy has a very recognizable style and sound.

He had been involved in a controversy about speeding up on some of his videos...but I kind of picked up envy from his detractors instead of hard evidence hehehe. He posted this clip to shut them up (he put up a version with original audio with no fx)

While I'm at it: his band's latest song, in collaboration with Polyphia. Don't miss Tim's solo, approaching the guitar with bass techniques.

Mind you, this is hardly djenty prog, but I've come to appreciate unusual riffs that have kind of pop hooks to them. These guys play very "chordy", clean, and high up the neck, interspersing harmonics at every chance.

From a Polyphia interview I saw this video and went into the rabbit hole of their stuff:
Their latest full album, new levels new devils, is kind of like this. I'm no rap guy, mind you, but I couldn't turn their guitar-based pop-rap down! Tim's evolution (in my eyes) is quite interesting, from a very "straightforward" polished shredder (at a very early age) with not much identity, to what I share here. He has a very recognizable style now, if you ask me.

Great post

ive been trying to learn this thumb technique where he hits on the way down, then again on the way up. Damn it’s not easy!

I usually discover these kinds of people through Polyphia collabs. That said, while Ichika is obviously extremely good at what he does, his music does absolutely nothing for me. Not anyone's fault, just an impedance mismatch I guess. I like build-up and release, directionality. I don't like endless meandering.

Although, if you look at the way his hair moves in most of the shots, the video (and song) appear to be sped up. A common thing with these types of bands/musicians.

Bump because I ran across this rummaging around on YouTube.
you remember the joke about how Chuck Norris and Mr T in the same room would unmake all existence?

I'm learning Japanese. It's a very interesting language. Ibanez' parent company is called Hoshino (星の). Hoshi (星) = star. No (の) = with. Hoshino = "Of the Stars". I like that.
Just a little correction: the "no" in "Hoshino (星野)" means "field", so that the name of the company translates as "star field".

Back
Top Bottom