Ice picky on top E solution?

geriatric

Been using D'addario XT 9-42 on Strat and Tele with the Fender type amps and getting an ice picky ringing harmonic (artifact) on top E string. I realise these type of amps can get that way but how do you reduce that using the III? Does string size make a difference? Any suggestions appreciated.

I just experienced a situation in which my high E got ice picky from the 19th to the 24th fret. I adjusted my truss rod, checked the evenness of the frets, and everything seemed fine, but I was still getting the ice pick sound. Finally I thought to look at my bridge saddles: there was no visible weirdness, but I decided to switch out the saddles for the high and low E strings any, just to eliminate it as a potential problem; to my delight, that actually took care of the problem. This is a guitar I really love, a Washburn Trevor Rabin, but I'm guessing the bridge that comes on it is made of a soft metal into which strings can cut grooves relatively quickly (I bought the guitar new a little over half a year ago). Anyway, not wanting this to happen again, I have a set of Hipshot stainless steel saddles on order to replace these.

Of course this might not be your problem, especially since it's happening with two different guitars, but sometimes a piece of gear will emphasize a problem in a guitar that another will not. I used to play a Les Paul that had a minor problem with a high fret causing an ice pick sound on one note. I hadn't heard the ice pick at all until I wired an onboard buffer circuit that really brought out the high end! If nothing else seems to make sense, you might try switching the high E saddle on your Strat with another string just to see if possibly the same thing could be happening to you. Best of luck in solving regardless!

Does it happen with the guitar volume off or unplugged? I've had similar problems with high E strings but it was the string or saddle every time and could be heard acoustically. You may need a very quiet environment to hear it though.

@2112 has a video with delays engaging only with the higher register notes. Can you do this same idea but attach an EQ instead of delay to tame the higher registries?

Pickup height maybe ,can produce weird sounds with single coils ,back the pickups down.even if your not using the neck pickup if it’s to high And Your on the bridge ,it creates a magnetic pull

Last edited:
It's the nut. I recently bought one of the Jimmy Page Telecasters and it did the same thing. I took it to my guitar tech and he fixed it in in a couple of minutes by reshaping the slot in the nut very slightly.

It's the nut. I recently bought one of the Jimmy Page Telecasters and it did the same thing. I took it to my guitar tech and he fixed it in in a couple of minutes by reshaping the slot in the nut very slightly.

It could totally be the nut if the sound occurs when hitting the open string, but if it happens when fretted, I'd discount that as the problem and look at other things, depending on where on the string it's happening: I'd check the position of the truss rod first, then I'd switch saddles, at least on the Strat, which would involve less time if you have a traditional Tele bridge, then I'd check for very very subtle high frets.

The big question is, where does the problem occurred on the high string on each guitar? Does it happen for either on the open string? When fretting a particular note? Does it happen when fretting a range of notes?

I.e., in the first instance I experienced this, with a high fret on my Les Paul, it was essentially fret buzz that was so unbelievably subtle that it didn't sound like fret buzz at all; it was a terrible pinging sound that felt like my guitar hated me. I ended up spot leveling that fret and a couple others, which corrected the problem. I also removed the onboard buffer much later, just because I weirdly missed my Paul's inherent muddiness, which also yielded this warmth that was totally lost with too much clarity haha. I'm curious if you roll back the tone knob on your Strat and your Tele if you'll hear the problem go away. Before looking at adjusting your tone, I'd see if both guitars might have really subtle setup issues. The reason I say that is, you can totally take away an ice pick sound with the tone knobs on the amp, your guitar, or whatever else would tame the brightness, but then of course you can't use that wonderful tone you've created! So if you do love a tone that's bringing out ice, I think you can probably keep that tone and correct a potential problem with the guitars at the same time, allowing you to continue using bright tones across the board, no pun intended. If you have access to a good tech, that might be a good place to start too, if you don't normally do your setups. It could possibly give you that wider palette to work with, minus the pain! Best of luck!

Thanks for the info guys. I'll start with the simplest solutions first and work my way to the hardware ones. Appreciated all the replies. Great community.

My issue is specific to the high E string. EQ isn't the right solution, even dynamic EQ.

Where on the string does it happen for you? Is it on the open string, or maybe at a particular fret, or bending, or on a range of frets? Because each of those situations points to a different potential problem. Let's see if we can sort this out for sure. :) On the other thread, the way I read it, it seemed almost like it's everything you do on that string that sounds thin. If that's the case, maybe posting a sample would help more.

FWIW, this happened to me as well - lowered the treble side of my pickups on my G&L tele and my Fender Strat & it did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom