Ibanez TAM10 Tosin Abasi

Tonemeister

Experienced
Hey I just purchased an Ibanez 8 String TAM 10 the ( stripped down Tosin Abasi 8 Signature model.) It's still in transit so.....I'm wondering if anybody else here has one or knows much about them? How they play? Sound? etc...

Vital stats....

"Ibanez TAM10-WH electric guitar, 8-string, Tosin Abasi Signature, basswood body, 5-piece TAM08 maple/walnut neck, nut width: 686 mm, thomann rosewood fretboard, 24 jumbo frets, off-set white dot inlays, 2x DiMarzio Ionizer 8 Humbucker pickups, 1x DiMario Ionizer 8 singlecoil pickup, 5-way switch, coil tab, Gibraltar Standard II-8 bridge, black hardware, tuning: 1E, 2B, 3G, 4D, 5A, 6E, 7B, 8E, colour: white, incl. thomann hardshell case"

You seriously buy a guitar which you don't know? Don't you have local music stores? I can't imagine there are none in Boston.

LOL. Fair question. I don't typically do that no. Never bought an 8 string but I had a unique opportunity to get it at almost $600 under the listed price so it was a no brainer because even if I don't like it I can resell at no loss so I did it.

You seriously buy a guitar which you don't know? Don't you have local music stores? I can't imagine there are none in Boston.

Hey man, I live in Los Angeles (a music city in the U.S.) and there are only a handful of decent music stores that carry good stuff. Most things I have to order online...

specs sounds legit, like that it has the actual dimarzio pups in it. classy looking guitars, that's for sure.

If you compare it to the TAM 100 (MAP $4k) it has the same electronics, I don't like the gold hardware on the TAM100, the finish and neck are much nicer on the TAM100. I actually like the looks of this too. Not a typical metal finish with the white and pearl.

How the hell do you play that thing?!
I have several extended range instruments. An NS Stick, made by Chapman Enterprises, which is essentially and 8 string bass/guitar tap instrument. A 10 String Chapman Stick. A 12 and a 14 string WARR guitar, seven string guitar etc.. I have wrapped my head around adding the extended lower register. I don't think I will be using it in a conventional "metal" type scenario. But we shall see. Here is a decent demo of the types of tuning and techniques you can do...

Tosin Abasi - 8 String Guitar - YouTube

Sheesh, I don't know what to do with 6 strings, and you're somehow managing to play 8. :)

It's really not that bad to adjust across, even from six only. I bought an 8 having played six strings for 25 years (other than a few minutes on a 7 string in a shop here and there) and it all makes logical sense - your shapes extend down and so on. Took me a little while to get used to physically, but that was about all. Sadly mine is standard 25.5" scale length and won't accept anything larger than a .074" through the tuner, so dropping the 8th string a tone to E is out, but the fourths relationship is fine.

@Tonemeister how are you liking your TAM10? I picked one up a month or so ago and a TAM100 a few months prior to that. Both are similar yet wildly different at the same time. They are both very good guitars, but I found some elements of quality control on the TAM10 lacking. It is still a tremendous instrument for the price, especially in terms of pickups and switching options. The biggest difference I found between the two was in terms of tonality. The woods on the TAM100 (bubinga and wenge neck w wenge fretboard along w a basswood body w quilted maple top) allow for a more "light" sound and prevents some of the bassiness I get, particularly in the lower register with the TAM10. Having said that, it is a simple matter of tweaking with the EQ to compensate.

Here they are. Corner of Ravish Sitar also pictured.

tam10tam100.jpg

@Ziyan
Thanks for your post about the tonality difference. Yes I hear it now. You gotta spend the money on that extended range! I'm sure the EQ solution works but then you have to constantly check that. I play E9 pedal steel and there are infamous student models that are tuning nightmares. The issue here is the lack of control/articulation (TONE) in the bass of the TAM10. My Mullen 12 String single neck with all those pedals and levers cost well over $3k! This is a new type of instrument that needs proper tension, tone woods, and hardware to sound "expensive." Bro, TONE

Back
Top Bottom