Ibanez JEM Questions

gigawatt

Experienced
Has anyone tried out this guitar?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ibanez-Electric-Guitar-Jem77p-BFP/519501714?iid=202113739701&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=50544&meid=db6cde79c084438eab7b0f1e74321a07&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=362337697181&itm=202113739701&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&thm=1000

There are several on eBay and it just happen to catch my eye, when I couldn't find any USA Jacksons I liked…
So if you've tried it how did you like it? How are the Gravity Storm pups? as good as Evo's? Neck have nice action? Is it really thin, or a thicker variety? How's the finish look in person? What positions do the five way switch offer? and whatever else you can think of.

I know it's made in Indonesia, but so are the Jackson X series among many others. They getting better at making geetars?

Last edited:
I haven't, but I've never played an Ibanez that didn't have a Wizard neck (yes, thin and flat!) that could not be adjusted for great action.

I'm assuming it's a Wizard neck...

Check the Ibanez catalog. It will tell you specs on the neck and the switching.

Most likely neck is 17-18mm at 1st fret and 20mm at 12th.

It looks pretty awesome to me. I’ve had an RG 550 I bought in 1987 and it’s the most versatile guitar I’ve owned. It’s basically a stripped down version of the JEM without the monkey grip and art work.

It looks pretty awesome to me. I’ve had an RG 550 I bought in 1987 and it’s the most versatile guitar I’ve owned. It’s basically a stripped down version of the JEM without the monkey grip and art work.
Yes... It was the foundation of the JEM, I think... Just as the Radius was the foundation of the JS series.

Thanks for the input guys. I've read mostly good reviews about them; like; really nice and smooth fret edges, the pickups sound great. The only thing I can complain about is some of them I've seen, the strings don't line up with the fretboard. There off to one side or the other. Fortunately the one I'm looking at is pretty straight. If this were a Jackson USA model that would be a problem, and I got rid of a couple just for that reason.

Definitely overpriced... But keep in mind the floral print on those early ones came from actual curtains in Vai's actual home!

Maybe this is one? Probably not...

But the MIJ Ibanez quality from that era is way beyond what the Korean and Indonesian ones that came later provide. Those made from '87 - '92 or so are mostly equivalent to current Prestige models.

I have a buddy that bought two of those. I gave him a bit of a hard time for not picking up one in a different color at least, but I do like the way that one looks. (I just like to buy guitars that are a little bit different from each other myself.)

I think that is close to the going rate, but he got both a bit lower price. He loves them and has one of the higher priced Jems on order as well. (Prestige is it? I don't follow Ibanez closely enough to remember what they call each line)

Me.. I like the way the look and even the handle is kinda cool, but I played his and hated the neck profile. Too thin and flat for me, and it just felt awkward to play. Cured my gas for a Jem instantly.

And I only played it through his Vox modeling amp, so I didn't get to play it on a rig I'm familiar enough with to make a judgement on the pickups. He likes them fine and he sounds great through his A-Rig if that gives you any indication.

On the other hand, he has one of the Satriani type guitars and I liked the neck just fine on that. Didn't play it long enough to determine if it's something I could really bond with, but definitely liked the feel of that one better than his Jems.

2nd hand 7VWH if you're at that price point i think.

Jem neck is one of the best necks out there thats for sure ( I've got a jem 7bsb). I dont really like maple for shredders though (just preference), and i'd be a bit weary of that edge zero bridge although it does at least have locking studs. Havent played one of those yet though, but everything sub original edge has been piss poor historically.

2nd hand 7VWH if you're at that price point i think.

i'd be a bit weary of that edge zero bridge although it does at least have locking studs. Havent played one of those yet though, but everything sub original edge has been piss poor historically.

I agree with this completely. It's not really a jem if it doesn't have the original edge or lo pro edge tremolo. No other tremolo ibanez offers comes close to the feel and stability of those. That combined with the hit or miss quality levels of indonesia made ibanez AND it costs $1400. Definitely pass on that guitar.

I regularly find used MIJ ibanez guitars with original edge trems for $350-$600. If you absolutely have to have the monkey grip then find a nice MIJ jem.

Yes... It was the foundation of the JEM, I think... Just as the Radius was the foundation of the JS series.

The JEM was actually the foundation for the RG. There's a youtube clip where Vai talks about after he worked with Ibanez and co-designed the JEM they asked him could they use the body shape for the RG and he said ok. I watched that only a few days ago and I thought it was the other way around also.

The JEM was actually the foundation for the RG. There's a youtube clip where Vai talks about after he worked with Ibanez and co-designed the JEM they asked him could they use the body shape for the RG and he said ok. I watched that only a few days ago and I thought it was the other way around also.
Interesting...

Hey it's from the Steve Vain collection:

https://reverb.com/item/5779582-199...al-pattern-steve-vain-collectable-clean-board

I think I like the look of the new ones better.

"Has some playwear. Technically it is all perfect and it plays very fast and comfortable. The tone on these is amazing."

Seriously? This guitar has some major damage! He shows it in his terrible pictures.

As a collector of Ibanez Jem guitars (24 at the moment) some remarks:

The Jem77 BFP is a what they would call now a Prestige Guitar (made in Japan).
The Jem77p BFP is reissue of the Jem77 BFP, but it's Premium not Prestige.
Most of my jem's are Prestige, some of them are Premium. IMHO there's a big difference between them in quality. The moment you take a prestige in your hand you immediately feel the difference.

Also for a Premium Jem it's overpriced.

I play an Ibanez RG Prestige and a Premium Jem (the sext sea foam green one)

Both are great guitars but the Prestige just oozes quality. The second it's in your hands it just feels like a beautifully made guitar.
For that money you mention you could probably pick up a Prestige model - which I'd say was a better guitar for that amount (unless you really need the vine inlays, claw trem and monkey grip of the Jem)

Ruh roh :oops:, I already bought one, for $1199, plus $179 for an extended warranty. Th eBayer I bought it from was so helpful and friendly, answered about a dozen questions I had, and sent me extra pics without me even asking :).

I usually play USA Jackson's but they've gotton so expensive it's ridiculous, anyway I like Ibanez necks. I could see from the pics the fret edges were very nicely done, guess I'll find out about the bridge; I read they use inferior springs so changing them out might help it stay in tune, though I've never had that problem b4.

Sigh... I'll give a run down on it when I get it...

Back
Top Bottom