FS Ibanez J custom - reduced price to $1500

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Price lowered, need to pay off my GAS spending spree!

$1,500 shipped conus, This is still available as of 9/15/21. I will update this if it sells.

Up for sale is a very nice RG style J custom. I’ve never really bonded with it and I think it’s time to let it go. The neck and fretwork on this guitar is a work of art. It does have one fairly nasty ding on the horn which was partially repaired/covered up by the previous owner. In no way affects playability, just a cosmetic issue. See the pics.

the 5 way switch was removed in the photos while I was rolling pups but is now reinstalled. BKP VH2 bridge pup and painkiller neck. Guitar will come with the original SD Jazz pups also.

0F22C126-6F70-4C54-BA54-4E0F01A31A83.jpeg0F43F23E-B982-45D6-8B7E-1321CE1B4A24.jpegE5E56ADD-75BC-4F5A-8E24-FF3E31F28B52.jpegE164C2AE-1CD2-4923-9ECA-66227EB4EFA7.jpeg0F22C126-6F70-4C54-BA54-4E0F01A31A83.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like this guitar, but cannot justify adding another guitar to my collection (have added 4 since May)... at least while remaining married. If you registered on Jemsite.com and listed there I think this guitar would move quickly. There are a bunch of Ibanez collectors over there.

Hmm. Fair enough; I think I'll probably have to pass, then.

(I'm looking for something quite lightweight and had been considering some of the S-series guitars. But individual guitars of the same line can vary noticeably; I was hoping this one might be an unusually lightweight J Custom.)

You might check out the prs s2 standard if you don’t need a full floating term. For the money they are pretty nice and seemed quite light to me. Not near the quality of a j custom, or prs core though.

Hmm. Fair enough; I think I'll probably have to pass, then.

(I'm looking for something quite lightweight and had been considering some of the S-series guitars. But individual guitars of the same line can vary noticeably; I was hoping this one might be an unusually lightweight J Custom.)
Depends on what you consider light... I have many S series guitars. I would not necessarily call them light. They are made of mahogany and the Edge trem is a substantial hunk of metal.

Lighter than a Les Paul for sure. ;)

I have never sold a guitar to someone who asked about the weight of the guitar. Reason: I have no idea what any of my guitars weigh. People who have a weight preference are very specific about what they want. If you do not know the weight or the weight is not what they are looking for they are not going to buy.

I really like this guitar, but cannot justify adding another guitar to my collection (have added 4 since May)... at least while remaining married. If you registered on Jemsite.com and listed there I think this guitar would move quickly. There are a bunch of Ibanez collectors over there.
Wind in his Hair: "What did you get for your wife?"

Lt. Dunbar: "A new $1850 Ibanez, a Les Paul, and three Strats."

Wind in his Hair: "Good trade!"

Capt. Nasty:
I have never sold a guitar to someone who asked about the weight of the guitar. Reason: I have no idea what any of my guitars weigh. People who have a weight preference are very specific about what they want. If you do not know the weight or the weight is not what they are looking for they are not going to buy.
Okay, that's fair, my original post was unnecessarily vague.

By light weight, I mean: In the range between 6 pounds (even) and, oh, let's say: 7 pounds, 3 ounces. (I'm trying to avoid aggravating some mild back issues. I envy you the ability to not pay much attention to how much your guitars weigh; I've had to do so for years.)

I mentioned the S series because an S series guitar I owned previously was 6 pounds 13 ounces, and I've picked up other S series guitars which seemed similarly lightweight.

Normally to weigh a guitar, I get on a normal bathroom scale while holding the guitar, then again while not holding the guitar, and subtract the latter number from the former. That's not perfectly precise, but it works okay, and doesn't require me to have some fancy scale for lighter-weight items.

I've been thinking about looking at one of the Petrucci Majesty guitars, which seem to fit nicely in the weight range I'm looking for, but they're rather expensive.

Capt. Nasty:

By light weight, I mean: In the range between 6 pounds (even) and, oh, let's say: 7 pounds, 3 ounces. (I'm trying to avoid aggravating some mild back issues. I envy you the ability to not pay much attention to how much your guitars weigh; I've had to do so for years.)

I mentioned the S series because an S series guitar I owned previously was 6 pounds 13 ounces, and I've picked up other S series guitars which seemed similarly lightweight.

Normally to weigh a guitar, I get on a normal bathroom scale while holding the guitar, then again while not holding the guitar, and subtract the latter number from the former. That's not perfectly precise, but it works okay, and doesn't require me to have some fancy scale for lighter-weight items.

I've been thinking about looking at one of the Petrucci Majesty guitars, which seem to fit nicely in the weight range I'm looking for, but they're rather expensive.
Nothing wrong with it. I have sold a number of my guitars and I just notice that anytime someone asks about the weight, it goes nowhere because my answer is very similar to the answer given by the OP. Have also seen people talk about this preference online. Seems to be two different camps: the people who do it for medical/health reasons like yourself and those who do it for tone.

Capt. Nasty:

I can check some of my S series guitars later if you're interested? Mine are all late '80s.

Back
Top Bottom