Ibanez Axe Design Lab

I guess I'm missing the "design" part... I was thinking it would allow you to "build" a guitar with the specs that you want.

What it really seems to be is a way to get a list of guitars they produce based on filtering.

Am I missing something?

I think it's all about some unusual specs, like the RG8870's asymmetrical neck shape with Velvetouch finish, as well as the chambered body. I hadn't looked into these models before, so maybe I'm missing what's special here; I'm just guessing.

I'm on their email list, and they wrote about what's involved with the series. This is not one of those emails you can view as a web page, so I don't know if there's a way to link to it. Here's the text at least:

"The new Axe Design Lab series builds upon the latest trends in guitar development, while also inspiring the next generation of advancements through experimentation and innovation. These guitars span everything from standards to j.customs, and they range from ultra-modern takes on existing favorites, to guitars built on entirely new concepts. Whether it’s an axe with incredibly extended range, or a multi-scale guitar decked out with the latest pickups and hardware options, the Axe Design Lab promises unmatched creative possibilities.

Established Theory

With their unique lists of specifications, the RDG71ALMS and RGD61ALET are being carried forward from the Axion Label series to the Axe Design Lab lineup. This uncommon move speaks to the reputation and popularity of both instruments.

New Discoveries

In addition to two existing favorites, the new Axe Design Lab guitars leave little to be desired. All five guitars each bring something special and imaginative to the table, allowing guitarists to tap into a completely new dimension of inventive playing."

The link itself takes you to a pre-filtered list of a handful of guitars in the "Design Lab" series.

If you clear the filters, it's just a big filter selection of all the guitars.

So, I guess if we look at those specific pre-filtered guitars we might see some interesting stuff.

For me, nothing really looked interesting enough to dive in. Others might be more interested.

The link itself takes you to a pre-filtered list of a handful of guitars in the "Design Lab" series.

If you clear the filters, it's just a big filter selection of all the guitars.

So, I guess if we look at those specific pre-filtered guitars we might see some interesting stuff.

For me, nothing really looked interesting enough to dive in. Others might be more interested.

Yeah, I found the filters myself because I couldn't find any writeup other than that email; that way there was at least something to link to. I think the whole idea is just to look at each pre-filtered guitar in that line at the specs. The moment I saw an asymmetrical neck and chambered body, that looked interesting to me; I don't know if I've ever seen those specs on an Ibanez before.

I was checking over some of these today when I got the email. This one in white was catching my eye.
https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/rga622xh_00_01.html

Ah, I hadn't looked at that one closely. I like the white way better! I find myself totally pining after a 22 fret guitar these days, so I just dismissed that model outright, even moreso than I do with the 24 fretters haha. But I love to see a little bit of expansion in their designs no matter what. One thing I love about Ibanez overall use that they always maximize upper fret access for any even somewhat modern design, and this model is no exception. And it's a cool idea to have that Air Norton as a single size to keep more room for picking and further increase neck clarity.

Ah, I hadn't looked at that one closely. I like the white way better! I find myself totally pining after a 22 fret guitar these days, so I just dismissed that model outright, even moreso than I do with the 24 fretters haha. But I love to see a little bit of expansion in their designs no matter what. One thing I love about Ibanez overall use that they always maximize upper fret access for any even somewhat modern design, and this model is no exception. And it's a cool idea to have that Air Norton as a single size to keep more room for picking and further increase neck clarity.
To be honest, not sure what I would do with the extra frets. In that area I agree. I mainly liked the look (in white with gold hardware) and pups and separate toggle for coil tap. The curves and bevels are more appealing to me. I have definitely accumulated more 24 fret than 22 fret lately. I keep telling myself “no more guitars”.🤥

Back
Top Bottom