Ibanez AX7521 Nut help? (Wizard 7 Neck Profile)

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I bought a used Ibanez 7 string AX7521 from GC. I love the feel of the neck and sounds from the pickups.

I ended up getting money back from GC though, because the nut was mauled by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

How bad was it? The D and G strings were resting on the first fret. My luthier's distributor was sold out of 7 string nuts, so he built up those two string slots with cyanoacrylate. Unfortunately it's not high enough action for me at the frets towards the nut and action on the rest of the strings is pretty buzzy too.

I ordered a Graphtech Black Tusq XL Slotted Carvin 7-Str PT-6700-00 because I read online that it would fit my neck. Once I got it, I can see that it's way too wide.

I contacted Graphtech about a week ago to find out what nut would fit this guitar so that I can order one and have a guitar with a higher action like I am used to, but I have not heard back from them.

Did anyone replace the nut on one of these and do you have the Graphtech part number?

Alternatively, can you steer me towards a replacement nut that will fit this guitar?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Doctor,
Have you seen the graphtech site? Seems maybe they could figure something out.

https://graphtech.com/collections/tusq-nuts-guitar

Thanks
Pauly

I bought a used Ibanez 7 string AX7521 from GC. I love the feel of the neck and sounds from the pickups.

I ended up getting money back from GC though, because the nut was mauled by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

How bad was it? The D and G strings were resting on the first fret. My luthier's distributor was sold out of 7 string nuts, so he built up those two string slots with cyanoacrylate. Unfortunately it's not high enough action for me at the frets towards the nut and action on the rest of the strings is pretty buzzy too.

I ordered a Graphtech Black Tusq XL Slotted Carvin 7-Str PT-6700-00 because I read online that it would fit my neck. Once I got it, I can see that it's way too wide.

I contacted Graphtech about a week ago to find out what nut would fit this guitar so that I can order one and have a guitar with a higher action like I am used to, but I have not heard back from them.

Did anyone replace the nut on one of these and do you have the Graphtech part number?

Alternatively, can you steer me towards a replacement nut that will fit this guitar?

Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom