Ibanez AT10P Andy Timmons

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
Has anyone here played one of these? It's the budget version of this guitar.

I really like Andy Timmons' tones, a lot, but I don't play like him, and I'm not looking to sound like him. I just like nice mostly-but-not-quite cleans, and cool, powerful, but not necessarily super high gain leads. Low hum is a plus.

Any experience with this?

Sorry no. I am a leftie so Ill never have one of those I fear. I do love his sound though. I find it comparable to Eric Johnson’s sound. My strat with a Duncan ssl-1 neck pickup (and maple fretboard) gets me very close IMHO. Fremen has Andy settings in one of his packs. Absolutely yummy.
Harm

I have one which I’ve tricked out by replacing the trem with a Wilkinson VSVG and rewiring the controls such that I have 2 volume controls and 1 overall tone. Just so to get it closer to the AT100’s specs.

To me this is definitely a sleeper. The workmanship on mine is very good. It’s consistently on my rotation and as a matter of fact, it’s the first guitar I used when testing the FM3.
DE56309F-B043-4913-A281-CDB7FEACBA42.jpeg

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it.

Tell me about the wiring change. How are the two volumes hooked up?

How bad is the stock term? What issues does it have?

I have part of an answer from Andy's records, but how strat-like are the tones? The pickups are hotter that a stock strat, right? I don't mind that I guess, if they still have strat sparkle, but I certainly don't need it.

I got one (the white AT10) and also replaced the Trem to the VSVG - really love it!
I also own the AT100 and feel no big difference except for the neck. The overall feel and sound are quite the same

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it.

Tell me about the wiring change. How are the two volumes hooked up?

How bad is the stock term? What issues does it have?

I have part of an answer from Andy's records, but how strat-like are the tones? The pickups are hotter that a stock strat, right? I don't mind that I guess, if they still have strat sparkle, but I certainly don't need it.
The wiring diagram specifically for the AT can be found here:
https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/AT_3h5w2v1t_0.pdf
There was nothing wrong with the original trem, which I recall was also a Wilkinson. I also do not think I’ve made any modifications to use the VSVG.
The neck and middle dimarzio cruisers are the same as the AT100 and do chime nicely, like a strat, despite being hum cancelling.

Edit: I just found my post in this forum from 5 years ago asking for help re-wiring the AT10p. 😄
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/advice-needed-for-2-volume-1-tone-on-3-pickup-guitar.103207/

Last edited:
I got one (the white AT10) and also replaced the Trem to the VSVG - really love it!
I also own the AT100 and feel no big difference except for the neck. The overall feel and sound are quite the same
I do like the look of the rosewood fretboard and the white body.👍

The wiring diagram specifically for the AT can be found here:
https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/AT_3h5w2v1t_0.pdf
There was nothing wrong with the original trem, which I recall was also a Wilkinson. I also do not think I’ve made any modifications to use the VSVG.
The neck and middle dimarzio cruisers are the same as the AT100 and do chime nicely, like a strat, despite being hum cancelling.

Edit: I just found my post in this forum from 5 years ago asking for help re-wiring the AT10p. 😄
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/advice-needed-for-2-volume-1-tone-on-3-pickup-guitar.103207/
Thanks, very helpful. I hadn't seen the 2 volume 1 tone arrangement mentioned in the descriptions of either model, but maybe I missed it.

So the difference in necks is the fretboard wood? Shape and size are pretty much the same?
There were 2 versions of the AT10p. I have the sunburst with a maple fretboard while Heinzi has the white with a rosewood fretboard. I have not tried the white one but would guess the neck profiles should be fairly similar. As to whether the AT10p neck is similar to that of the AT100, Heinzi should be able to tell since he has both.
Body wise they should all be identical I think.

Yep, the neck of the Premium ones are the same specs but the white one is rosewood whreas the sunburst is maple. But: Both of these necks differ from the Prestige AT100CL. To me both neck variants feel great though...

So I picked this up today. Good price, and I traded in some stuff that's been sitting unused literally for years, so pretty reasonable financially. I've wanted to try one of these for forever.

However, I'm not in love so far. Pickups sound good. Everything but bridge alone is quite strat-like, and nice, and humbucking, so that's a win.

It's very much hotter than my EJ so I need some preset work to really check it out.

Negatives:
  • Bridge pickup alone is way louder than anything else, like every other SSH I've ever played, which is one reason I didn't own one. Will try lowering it, but that's a predictable problem I for some reason thought this might not have.
  • Neck is a tad narrow for me, especially at the nut, we'll see if I get used to it.
  • Has some uneven fretting out, maybe fixable with a neck adjust. Needs new strings too, which might help maybe.
  • Trem arm just flops down, no adjustment I saw. May try the drop-in spring solution for that, think I have some lying around.
  • Trem is hard flat to the top, doesn't move. Should be adjustable, just means I can't tell anything else about it yet.

I've got a while to decide to keep it or not, we'll see.

Last edited:
So I picked this up today. Good price, and I traded in some stuff that's been sitting unused literally for years, so pretty reasonable financially. I've wanted to try one of these for forever.

However, I'm not in love so far. Pickups sound good. Everything but bridge alone is quite strat-like, and nice, and humbucking, so that's a win.

It's very much hotter than my EJ so I need some preset work to really check it out.

Negatives:
  • Bridge pickup alone is way louder than anything else, like every other SSH I've ever played, which is one reason I didn't own one. Will try lowering it, but that's a predictable problem I for some reason thought this might not have.
  • Neck is a tad narrow for me, especially at the nut, we'll see if I get used to it.
  • Has some uneven fretting out, maybe fixable with a neck adjust. Needs new strings too, which might help maybe.
  • Trem arm just flops down, no adjustment I saw. May try the drop-in spring solution for that, think I have some lying around.
  • Trem is hard flat to the top, doesn't move. Should be adjustable, just means I can't tell anything else about it yet.

Sorry to hear it didn’t live up to your expectations.
I guess the saving grace is that you didn’t spent too much on it, with the trade in and all.

Negatives:

Yeah i can agee on some points! The PUs are exactly the same that Andy uses and the crusisers are very weak, single coil-like humbuckers, but that has a certain charme and chimeyness to it - maybe adjusting the height helps.
I guess the neck profile is more for players with normal to small hands and reminds me a bit of the music man shapes.
You´re absoluty right - the frets of the indonesian models are often a nightmare - they´re nicely rounded up at the edges but sometimes when wood is too wet and dries out, they jump out - i also had to fix that!

With new strings, the Cruiser pickups are just gorgeous through my Archon Clean patch with a few tweaks. (Love that amp for cleans, and with the JFET comp, it's perfect!)

The bridge pickup just seems out of place, so much louder than the others, completely different tone. I wanted something with more fullness than a stock strat bridge pu, but this is too much. Makes me understand why people rewire SSH guitars for a dedicated bridge volume control (and mostly live with it on 6), but that won't even out the tones; a big bypass cap on it might help. Haven't tried physically lowering it yet, we'll see, might end up looking for something less overwound.

Think I can live with the narrower neck. The guitar is actually pretty comfortable to play. I've been having fun with it. I'm thinking it'll probably stay :).

Back
Top Bottom