Ian Thornley (Big Wreck) Axe-Fx III

I’m currently working on a Thornley preset which I will post in the preset exchange when finished. I’ve found using the Carol Ann OD2 model with the power tubes switched to 5881s gets you in the ballpark of the Hedgehog. According to John Suhr, Ian uses a 4x12 cab w/ Greenbacks, so I’m using York Audio Checkmate IRs that sound awesome, but I’ll find some nice factory greenback IRs to make default in the preset.

I tried that solo a couple years back, soooo good!

Nice job! I heard his solo on Ghost was one of those strong Producer moments: supposedly Thornley was having a hard time laying down something that seemed to fit the song well. Producer suggested he channel his inner Stevie Ray, and that was the final version. It is really distinct, stylistically, from his other solos.

Nice job! I heard his solo on Ghost was one of those strong Producer moments: supposedly Thornley was having a hard time laying down something that seemed to fit the song well. Producer suggested he channel his inner Stevie Ray, and that was the final version. It is really distinct, stylistically, from his other solos.
Every time I hear that solo I hear the SRV thing... I never heard that story but it makes sense now.

Good stuff for sure. If you want another killer voice, Jimmy Gnecco ♥️ Check out Distorted Lullabies by Ours. He does solo stuff too. That Roy Orbison Crying cover…man oh man.

I’m currently working on a Thornley preset which I will post in the preset exchange when finished. I’ve found using the Carol Ann OD2 model with the power tubes switched to 5881s gets you in the ballpark of the Hedgehog. According to John Suhr, Ian uses a 4x12 cab w/ Greenbacks, so I’m using York Audio Checkmate IRs that sound awesome, but I’ll find some nice factory greenback IRs to make default in the preset.
Following closely... I just can't get the sound right. Hoping yours works out...
Any luck?

Following closely... I just can't get the sound right. Hoping yours works out...
Any luck?

Sorry for the late reply, the last couple of months have been personally hectic and have left me little time to play guitar. Luckily, things have finally settled down a bit. I have never got to sit down with a Suhr Hedgehog in person, but I suspect(hope) this is somewhere in the ballpark!

Attachments

• IAN THORNLEY.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
bump. Revisiting this thread as I'm about to see Big Wreck this Friday! so stoked. Was planning to learn The Oaf this week. It's an open Gb5 tuning. really odd. But such a killer riff. I was looking through the legacy section in forum (Axe II) @iaresee posted a preset tackling that intro which has a chopped tremolo/delay/phaser effect going on. By chance have an updated version for Axe III?

Back
Top Bottom