Ian Thornley AXE FX

ericar

Inspired
If you go to the Big Wreck facebook page there is a video interview with Ian talking about his gear for the new tour. He briefly mentions his AXE but doesn't seem to know much about it.

Just going by the 2 seconds he talks about it I would guess he doesn't have any idea about its power or he is one of those people who likes to keep things simple without too much of a learning curve.

His slide tones are really excellent. Almost harmonica in the way they bloom. I know he uses a ton of compression in front of the amp for slide work.

I've seen them several times live and he uses amps and a fairly large pedal board (with a g system on it I think)....never saw an AxeFX on the stage.

His slide tones are really excellent. Almost harmonica in the way they bloom. I know he uses a ton of compression in front of the amp for slide work.
Do you think its a compressor he is using? We can clearly see him stomping something in a few times. Like it increases in gain and is enhanced.
What settings on the compressor block do you think Ian?
This video has inspired me greatly to focus again on my limited slide work.

Do you think its a compressor he is using? We can clearly see him stomping something in a few times. Like it increases in gain and is enhanced.
This video has inspired me greatly to focus again on my limited slide work.
He talked a bit about it in his Instagram feed. I’ll try and dig it up later today.

He's a master slide player....stupid good. If you haven't just dig into his work period. Phrasin, tone, chops, can sing like crazy....criminally underrated

Definitely!. Been listening to his work for a few days now. And Big Wreck in general has great work too. I needed some inspiration lately, glad I found this thread.:)
big wreck is awesome....and if you want some fun 2000's hard rock, check out Thornley. The So Far So Good album is fantastic

Do you think its a compressor he is using?

I followed him down a YouTube rabbit hole a few days ago. Your question reminded me of this video where he briefly talks about compression. There is a fair amount of talk about techniques, slide and gear.

I will be seeing him in Moncton in 4 days. Can't wait. Got the VIP so I get to see sound check and have
meet and greet. This will be my 6th time seeing Thornley/Big Wreck live. My first time was with the
first album tour almost 20 years ago and now on Monday night they will be playing the whole first album to celebrate 20 years since release. I have personally never seen anyone more talented in so many ways.

man something about the way he hits those big bends....there's a unique overtone that I'm not sure how he's getting...so much touch and control.

man something about the way he hits those big bends....there's a unique overtone that I'm not sure how he's getting...so much touch and control.

Agreed. I posted this story in another Ian thread a while back. Short version is my son who was 14'sh at the time and listens to a bit of everything was in the car with me one day. I dialed up one of the Big Wreck tracks. After a few seconds into the song my son looks at me and says something to the effect of "I really like this guy, he's unique.".

\m/

"Criminally underrated" for sure. Big Wreck was one of those stalwarts of Canadian radio in my youth that troubled me as to why they weren't bigger in the USA.

I had never heard of them until a couple years ago but I am huge fan of the band and Ian's playing. Yes, underrated for sure. Tried to get a plan together to see them in LA this march but it didn't work out. It would be great if they added some dates and came to Phoenix.

Back
Top Bottom