I would like to share something about the distortions, and the effect of your expectations of a sound, on that sound.

Bjorn Goud

Using the FX8 for about a year now, i like it. I always was a bit unsure about the sound/tone of the distortions, they always sounded good, but with a spluttering weird high layer on it. I tried everything with the tone and treble adjustment, to no avail.

i finally found out it is not in the treble setting or tone setting. At least, to me, its the high mids, between about 1300 and 1700.
Turning a frequency between those two frequencies up to 10 db down though, seems to lower the overall volume too much.
So i never did that, but now i think that was just perception.

For people who have the same experience, try to cut about 5 to 10 db in the mid region around 1200-1700 hz, and turn the level of the distortion up to taste.
It took out all harshness and splutter and now it sounds like "real' distortions, without the weird shrill treble distortion, laying on 'top' of the distortion.

Maybe you need to play guitar with it for like half an hour to get 'used' to the sound, because there is treble gone, but it seems to be filled in after a while and then it sounds good. I guess it is a psycho acoustic effect somehow, because i was convinced that taking out so much mid would make the sound useless, and therefore i perceived it that way. Very strange how my brain fooled me.

Do other peoples here have the same experience?

Back
Top Bottom